Oil type for spindle bearing? speed issue

Guest Muon

There are different viscosity of silicon oil, non that I know of are used as lubricants for metal parts. Infact if you use it in a brass sleeve bearing it will guarantee to seize. Silicon oil is used manly for Teflon coated or rubber rollers, that are under high pressure and temp up to 200C. The soul purpose of this is to keep toner from adhering to these rollers and sticking to the paper. This use is now being phased out due to OH &S. Most copier manufacturers are designing toner to limit the use of silicon oil.

Interesting - thanks, Peter.

Andy

Yup did all that, these don't spin very long free style anyway, at least the Sonab never did to a large extent and it worked perfectly until the suspension gave way.

With the spindle out of the Sonab it is better though.

The Audio Research spindle is either full of grit or stuffed, you can feel it, the Sonab one is silky smooth but not as free spinning as spindle on other tables, depending on the table.

OF course I will get some appropriate oil before swapping motors, if it is possible.

Edit Just to add, with the Audio Research spindle (original) in place the original platter would rub also, not with the Sonab one.

Oops, I should have said that with the Sonab spindle in place, and with the belt removed from the motor drive it does spin freely and spins for some time.

really looks like motor related, or associated issue.

Edited by ortofun

I have some of this fine machine oil, but can't find any detailed info, it has an "e" symbol upper right unlike this pic, if that is any indicator?

Any comments.......apart from "ya' cheap bastard" :)

post-105164-0-87341600-1411372613_thumb.

I have some of this fine machine oil, but can't find any detailed info, it has an "e" symbol upper right unlike this pic, if that is any indicator?

Any comments.......apart from "ya' cheap bastard" :)

So nobody has used this stuff?

Or the Singer stuff?

Edited by ortofun

That's is what I'm looking at, not motor oil, but a lightweight 100% synthetic........no Teflon or Graphite additives ect'.

Thanks all the same though Tele', was nice to get an opinion on those machine oils.

The owner has a NOS motor somewhere I think, so will try that to fix the speed issue when he finds it.

I remember reading somewhere, that there are 2 schools of thought. 

1. Low viscosity, requires minimal input from the motor to maintain speed, more susceptible to slowing down during highly modulated passages

2. High viscosity, (grease), requires torque to keep spinning, so less influence from the modulation on the record

Personally, I use the manufacturer's recommended oil, Clear Audio, seems very low viscosity. I suppose it is the total design, including torque of the motor, weight of the platter, coupling of motor to platter that one type of oil will work better than another. 

You need to trial TT bearing  oils, before drawing conclusions.

Depending on the TT, IME different oils 'sound' different...eg. with an LP12, Mobil 1 sounds less 'weighty' leaner, than say Linn graphite oil.

(As olderas post above)...it may be 'gap-filling' ability of the latter and the micro-effects of 'stylus-drag' - esp with belt drives.

ie. it is arguably beneficial to have some 'drag' a load or 'brake' for the mtr to drive.

PS. I knew a watchmaker who sometimes used Whale oil - traditional lubrication for clocks. Not used much now i believe, tends to deteriorate over time.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y

Nice posts guys, cheers.

I'm waiting to get hold of a replacement motor I think he has, so i can look at that.

Then I'll see what I will use on the spindle.

You need to trial TT bearing  oils, before drawing conclusions.

Depending on the TT, IME different oils 'sound' different...eg. with an LP12, Mobil 1 sounds less 'weighty' leaner, than say Linn graphite oil.

(As olderas post above)...it may be 'gap-filling' ability of the latter and the micro-effects of 'stylus-drag' - esp with belt drives.

ie. it is arguably beneficial to have some 'drag' a load or 'brake' for the mtr to drive.

PS. I knew a watchmaker who sometimes used Whale oil - traditional lubrication for clocks. Not used much now i believe, tends to deteriorate over time.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

super lube for turn table is very good i use it in clock repair 

I replaced the sub-platter of my Rega Planar 3 yesterday and when I removed the Rega subplatter I got that unmistakable smell of gearbox oil.

My Planar 3 is over 30 years old and the bearing had never given me any problems ... no noise and smooth running so it was in really in good condition.

Gearbox oil seems to work fine in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well, after all the great, and not so great advice.

I have decided NOT to use Whale or Baby Seal oil. So the 100% fine machine oil with no additives I have used.

Still was an issue, then I was thinking that maybe, just maybe the user defined oil point/hole might be clogged along the channel somewhere, so used the oil point on the motor itself.......checked the voltages the motor receives and all good there.

Just played a couple of LPs with no issues :)

Thanks to all the posted :thumb:

Edit: to tidy up.

Edited by ortofun