DEQX Owners Thread

Exciting, I’ve taken up the early access beta program and can’t wait to get stuck in taking my speakers to the next level in musical sound. They sound very good right now though time and phase coherent I’m sure there not.

When I became interested in a DEQX unit I had the Pureaudio project Quintet15 comprising 4 X mid/bass drivers with a compression horn tweeter in the middle and sitting in a concave frame - hmm. With much research I’ve ended up with a stereo pair of subs, each is a stack of 3x 12” drivers. Then there is L & R channel speaker which I have the 10” bass driver on a separate baffle from the 6.5”Mid and Tweeter on their own baffle. DEQX has its work cut out here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John of said:

running 6  Purifi 1ET400A and Rythmik amps on subs, will update once DEQX is in and operational 

What are you using now as the "brains" of the system.?

I have something vaguely similar, an active Lx521 setup using Roon/PC and okto 8 channel dac into purifi amps. Interested to see how you go with the new deqx.

Back in the day I had an early deqx unit in an older system - changed the way I approach playback at home.

• Like 3

Hi

Hopefully you mean by brains, the source, it is a 2 pc system, a control pc linked over ethernet using JPLAY to an audio PC. The control pc contains the music library the audio pc the renderer. Both pc’s boot into ram, from there USB conversion to I2S into I PS Audio directstream.

I’m familiar with the Lx521 a very good friend has the same speaker, they sound very musical. The lx521 has provided some of the inspiration in fact the 10” bass driver we have in common the L26RO4Y I have repurposed from a sub pair I had.

• Thanks 1

So here I am again looking at my DEQX HDP-4.

I am following the instructions and everything is going fine.

I get to the point where I want to calibrate my speaker measurement, and it shows the impulse response of the speaker.

Previously when I have done this test, I did not bother protecting my floor and I was easily able to identify impulse response as it was very similar to the example given.

Now, with mats on the floor, there is no discernible first reflection.

The only other difference is that now my mic is on a boom instead of a camera tripod.

The mic is 600mm from the tweeter, height is in line with the bottom of the tweeter.

With a brick wall and aluminium sheet blocking a fireplace 1600mm from the tweeter, I expected a reflection there.

I will try again, with the mic perhaps 1 metre back instead of 600mm. 
Just putting this out there in case people have experienced this before and may have advice. Perhaps I should do away with the floor mats and use the floor first reflection? Not sure what the consequence is of doing that.

Dog beds come in useful.

IMG_2799.thumb.jpeg.74c15d41bd2f1308f0f3aac17ccfd24d.jpeg

IMG_2800.thumb.jpeg.c860f5afe8aa2b6a44fb53b2f5b98f45.jpeg

• Like 1

If the mat is a permanent fixture ,that is fine if not dump it ,

what distance ond height dose the book say to measure at ,

you are to take measurement as the room is when you are normally listening, so any abnormality’s are recorded and assessed in the deqx program ,

I found the Zoom and located the most significant blip on the graph which I assume is primary reflection. It aligns similarly with previous tests at around 9.6 ms, so all good hopefully.

I am not sure why they stood out so much on previous tests - perhaps the boom mic stand does make a significant impact by reducing transferred vibrations.

So I have moved on, and I do have a better headspace for understanding this today.

I have saved speaker profiles to the DEQX.

I am now running room correction.

Any clue what I need to do in order to enable all icons in the Chart toolbar as per the manual? Thank you.

IMG_2802.thumb.jpeg.b1cfba7ef30425898e69c2eed5644ebd.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg.6bd18c16869ac5cab27c8620409bdbb2.jpeg

• Like 2

On 07/10/2023 at 2:55 PM, Sounding said:

Any clue what I need to do in order to enable all icons in the Chart toolbar as per the manual? Thank you.

IMG_2802.thumb.jpeg.b1cfba7ef30425898e69c2eed5644ebd.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg.6bd18c16869ac5cab27c8620409bdbb2.jpeg

Hi Sounding,

I'm not sure, it's been a while since I mucked with my DEQX settings.

It could have something to do with where you are in the workflow of applying EQ in a room correction, where it makes sense to only see the Frequency response...tricky to add points of EQ with any of the other graphs.

You could try backing out of that workflow, and go back to doing a room measurement, or loading an existing room measurement - you should see all the options then.

Hope that helps.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to Kim Ryrie for a bit re the new units today at the show. I delved a little deeper re the Pre 4 release - around Q2 of next year.

Being up front and honest, Kim also commented on pricing - the gent in front of me when he heard the non-discounted price of the Pre 8 almost had me looking for an AED just in case his shock progressed towards some form of cardiac event.

Ultimately the economics of getting the units from production to shop front will result in a premium price tag - however, it will be a premium product.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2023 at 1:21 PM, AudioGeek said:

What are you using now as the "brains" of the system.?

I have something vaguely similar, an active Lx521 setup using Roon/PC and okto 8 channel dac into purifi amps. Interested to see how you go with the new deqx.

Back in the day I had an early deqx unit in an older system - changed the way I approach playback at home.

Nice…. The okto is a great MCH Dac/interface.
PC compute (DSP) is the best way to go, if you have the know how. 

A lot cheaper too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pigpen said:

Spoke to Kim Ryrie for a bit re the new units today at the show. I delved a little deeper re the Pre 4 release - around Q2 of next year.

Being up front and honest, Kim also commented on pricing - the gent in front of me when he heard the non-discounted price of the Pre 8 almost had me looking for an AED just in case his shock progressed towards some form of cardiac event.

Ultimately the economics of getting the units from production to shop front will result in a premium price tag - however, it will be a premium product.

The new DEQX units look very nice.

Not trying to derail your strategy here, but it’s worth checking out CamillaDSP while you wait… Simply partner with a studio quality audio interface, some know how, and experience with REW, and you would have a vastly superior DSP engine, for supremely less money. 

Arguably you would also not need to worry about software/hardware obsolescence overtime. . 

As with all solutions and strategies there are pro’s and con’s to consider. 

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 1

I'm a value for money approach. In a world of 47k music servers  if there is a transformation on how you emotionally connect to the music. My understanding is once the "audiophile" products are in the market there will be low cost main stream products to follow.

Edited by Upgrayed
spelling

11 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

The new DEQX units look very nice.

Not trying to derail your strategy here, but it’s worth checking out CamillaDSP while you wait… Simply partner with a studio quality interface, some know how, and experience with REW, and you would have a vastly superior DSP engine, for supremely less money. 

Arguably you would also not need to worry about software/hardware obsolescence overtime. . 

As with all solutions and strategies there are pro’s and con’s to consider. 

@Grizaudio - great points and something I did not genuinely consider (I also had to Google CamillaDSP / REW / studio quality interface……never said I was quick……).

Ultimately I will see what comes of the Pre 4 as I am keen to maintain a high Australian content system. It is also a bit of a one box cloud based solution that a serial moron like my good self via interface with DEQX “should” get good results.

If that fails, rest assured I will be returning to Google / CamillaDSP / REW / studio quality interface and StereoNet.

On the StereoNet front, it is amazing the depth and breadth of knowledge that the members both posses and are willing to share, a true community.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pigpen said:

@Grizaudio - great points and something I did not genuinely consider (I also had to Google CamillaDSP / REW / studio quality interface……never said I was quick……).

Ultimately I will see what comes of the Pre 4 as I am keen to maintain a high Australian content system. It is also a bit of a one box cloud based solution that a serial moron like my good self via interface with DEQX “should” get good results.

If that fails, rest assured I will be returning to Google / CamillaDSP / REW / studio quality interface and StereoNet.

On the StereoNet front, it is amazing the depth and breadth of knowledge that the members both posses and are willing to share, a true community.

Well the DEQX will certainly be an easier ready to go path.... and is no doubt a quality product. 

So many options these days for speaker managers. 

Edited by Grizaudio

• 1 month later...

Alan Langford just DEQXperted my rig.

I have time aligned passive speakers that do 20hz and 2x 15" in a 6x10 room.

The speakers were not measured just integrated subs and room EQed.

I'm gobsmacked at the result.

Thanks Alan, all the best

Edited by Upgrayed
spelling
  • Like 9

On 09/12/2023 at 5:14 PM, Keith_W said:

I really hope they can work to bring the price down. 

I haven't been following closely - is there indicative pricing released yet? their website says "TBA"

It would be the Pre-8 I would be interested in.

Mike

11 minutes ago, almikel said:

I haven't been following closely - is there indicative pricing released yet? their website says "TBA"

It would be the Pre-8 I would be interested in.

Mike

At the most recent hifi show, I was speaking with Kim Ryrie and another gent when the issue of price raised its head - Kim was very up front and from memory quoted non beta price of Pre 8 around US$ 13k.

When I purchased a previous DEQX unit some years back, what I paid was number after the US$ price i.e. US$ 2999 I paid AU$2999.

Yes, he said just under AUD$20k or thereabouts. I suspect it's a combination of high development cost + amortized over small number of units + high ongoing support cost + no products to sell for 4-5 years + hardware. This is MY speculation, it DID NOT come from Kim or any DEQX employee. As consumers, all we see is software + hardware + support, and sometimes not even that. 

I worry about them. I want them to succeed. The market badly needs a superior alternative to MiniDSP. People need to be educated as to why DEQX is an objectively superior alternative to the MiniDSP, and it is hard to do that when it costs so much. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

They've certainly been up against it launching the new and well overdue new range.

With the conversations I have had with them though, I know they are in for the long haul and as ambitious and hungry today as they were when I first met them nearly 15 years ago. The new range has been well received and supported by the early adopters and the future looks bright, thankfully.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

Kim was very up front and from memory quoted non beta price of Pre 8 around US$ 13k.

3 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

When I purchased a previous DEQX unit some years back, what I paid was number after the US$ price i.e. US$ 2999 I paid AU$2999.

Wow - a Pre 8 around AU$13K - it may be a while before I upgrade 😞

On 21/10/2023 at 8:13 AM, Pigpen said:

I love my HDP3 DEQX - it was transformative to my system back in 2010 and remains the core pre-amp/crossover in my current setup - the HDP3 still sounds awesome running all digital sources.

I went double DEQX in 2015 to run 4 way active, but simplified my life recently and installed a passive Xover in my PSE horns to revert to a single HDP3 DEQX, which is what I run now.

18 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

I worry about them. I want them to succeed. The market badly needs a superior alternative to MiniDSP. People need to be educated as to why DEQX is an objectively superior alternative to the MiniDSP, and it is hard to do that when it costs so much. 

Agreed.

Back in 2010 MiniDSP didn't exist, and the only "similar" product to DEQX at the time (ie a 3 way active crossover + preamp) was the Behringer DCX2496.

Back then a DEQX HDP3 was 3-4 times the cost of a Behringer DCX2496, but DEQX was a vastly superior device.

I remember negotiating final pricing of the DEQX with Alan, and taking the upgrade option of the Earthworks measurement mic, as his keen pricing meant I could afford the better microphone.

Different story today - DEQX could be 8-10 times the cost of MiniDSP - hard to justify 😞

Mike

PS - I will say that DEQX have provided the best "after sales" service of any company I've ever dealt with

• Like 3