I've been a bit tardy in getting this preview of the DEQX HDP-3 up on SNA.... just a few other things to attend to at the moment. Anyway after Terry gave me a gentle nudge to do something I thought I should pull a finger out. I did post on the DEQX user's email list but that doesn't help many of you here. :unsure:

Anyway... as some of you know Alan from DEQX was in Melbourne a couple of weekends ago and kindly offered to demonstrate the new calibration technique and the new HDP-3 (the tweaked "audiophile" version PDC 2.6P) to me on my system.

Alan's a great guy and has a very deep knowledge of DEQX, speaker/driver responses and room responses....I know it's probably been said before but it's true! It was a great opportunity for me to watch Alan at work.

With my system, the new approach to taking speaker measurements is basically to take an off axis near field measurement for the tweeter and mids then a room measurement for the bass. Alan achieved this with a bi-amp + subs configuration. This was fantastic news for me as I didn't have to move the Australs outside! :clap:

Doing an in room measurement for the bass is very clever as it allows the DEQX algorithms to not only correct FR but also phase and time delay with respect to the room bass response (I think I've got that correct). This certainly is an improvement over the old method of just using parametric equalisation for in room bass response.

After a lot of chatting and taking some measurements we got to listen to a CD. A track from Linda Ronstadt's "Humming to Myself" that has captured some beautiful double bass and vocals. The bass was full and free of bloom, the vocals were a treat, the highs sharp but not bright, the soundstage broad and high with a very precise imaging overall.... just how I like it. Quite simply the Australs sounded the second best (old Get Smart joke!) I had ever heard them.

Actually, I say second best because after everything was close to spot on with the PDC 2.6P we loaded the project profile onto the HDP-3 which had been quietly warming up for the last few hours. No other tweaks or changes where made. The HDP-3 changes over the PDC 2.6P has been covered elsewhere so I don't need to repeat them here other than to say the analog stages and power supply have been extensively reworked.

Well on my system and to my ears it's not much of a contest between the PDC 2.6P and the HDP-3. The HDP-3 is so far ahead of the PDC 2.6P there is no need for any A/B quadruple blind tests! I think even Alan was a bit taken back by how much better the HDP-3 sounded on my system. On first listening it sounds like the HDP-3 has been extended in bass and highs but on a closer listen the "extension" is due to the fact that one can discern so much extra detail. On Pink Floyds "The Wall" I have never heard a kick drum with such detail... not just the strike of the drum but the resonance of the drum chamber as well. The same with the double bass on Linda Ronstadt's "Humming to Myself". The mids are just gorgeous, Linda sounded fantastic and the highs are razor sharp. The whole sound was just silky smooth and detailed.

In the past when there has been a little bit of edge and hardness to the sound I thought it was the CD I was listening to. Well, to be honest, I have to say that "sound" was the PDC 2.6P because it was NOT present with the HDP-3 and is VERY noticeable stepping back down to the PDC 2.6P.

Also, the background noise of the PDC 2.6P active balanced output board has always annoyed me. Now I'm pleased to say that the transformer output board is so quiet the music just appears out of the "darkness" and is very involving.

I was blown away by the demo and have now ordered a new HDP-3 with transformer balanced output. The PDC 2.6P was good but the HDP-3 is GREAT and I would say that it would easily (all things being equal) be competitive against $5000 preamps with passive speakers.

regards

HFN

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies - it's been way to long since I did a calibration/config...but I'm pretty sure it's during the "config" process that there's a button to "read EQ" from the unit...and you'll see the EQ setti

In case anyone has been sitting on the fence for a DEQX purchase, it's a good time to buy now: https://www.stereo.net.au/news/deqx-celebrates-21st-anniversary-with-special-offer

What is it like without a DEQX.   Yesterday my Thor PS10 decided to go phttt.  I used it for the front end low powered devices (not power amp or subs).  It triggered its own circuit breaker,

HFN,

Thanks for your post. I did see your comments in the user group.

How far off axis are they recommending for measuring the mid and tweeter. 15 degrees? And if you measure this far off axis would you then only correct the speakers response up to say 15Khz to avoid extra boost in the 15 to 20kHz range that would result as DEQX compensates for the measured drop off in response from being off axis. I imagine measuring off axis will give a better correction of the "power response" but you probably don't need to boost the >15kHz area.

Are they still recommending 1m for speaker measurement or closer or further away?

And for measuring the "subs" you do that in the listening position. I'll give that a go when I get the chance.

No doubt they'll publish on the website how to do all this soon enough, I'm just being impatient.

Trevor

I've been a bit tardy in getting this preview of the DEQX HDP-3 up on SNA.... just a few other things to attend to at the moment. Anyway after Terry gave me a gentle nudge to do something I thought I should pull a finger out. I did post on the DEQX user's email list but that doesn't help many of you here. :unsure:

Anyway... as some of you know Alan from DEQX was in Melbourne a couple of weekends ago and kindly offered to demonstrate the new calibration technique and the new HDP-3 (the tweaked "audiophile" version PDC 2.6P) to me on my system.

Alan's a great guy and has a very deep knowledge of DEQX, speaker/driver responses and room responses....I know it's probably been said before but it's true! It was a great opportunity for me to watch Alan at work.

With my system, the new approach to taking speaker measurements is basically to take an off axis near field measurement for the tweeter and mids then a room measurement for the bass. Alan achieved this with a bi-amp + subs configuration. This was fantastic news for me as I didn't have to move the Australs outside! :clap:

Doing an in room measurement for the bass is very clever as it allows the DEQX algorithms to not only correct FR but also phase and time delay with respect to the room bass response (I think I've got that correct). This certainly is an improvement over the old method of just using parametric equalisation for in room bass response.

After a lot of chatting and taking some measurements we got to listen to a CD. A track from Linda Ronstadt's "Humming to Myself" that has captured some beautiful double bass and vocals. The bass was full and free of bloom, the vocals were a treat, the highs sharp but not bright, the soundstage broad and high with a very precise imaging overall.... just how I like it. Quite simply the Australs sounded the second best (old Get Smart joke!) I had ever heard them.

Actually, I say second best because after everything was close to spot on with the PDC 2.6P we loaded the project profile onto the HDP-3 which had been quietly warming up for the last few hours. No other tweaks or changes where made. The HDP-3 changes over the PDC 2.6P has been covered elsewhere so I don't need to repeat them here other than to say the analog stages and power supply have been extensively reworked.

Well on my system and to my ears it's not much of a contest between the PDC 2.6P and the HDP-3. The HDP-3 is so far ahead of the PDC 2.6P there is no need for any A/B quadruple blind tests! I think even Alan was a bit taken back by how much better the HDP-3 sounded on my system. On first listening it sounds like the HDP-3 has been extended in bass and highs but on a closer listen the "extension" is due to the fact that one can discern so much extra detail. On Pink Floyds "The Wall" I have never heard a kick drum with such detail... not just the strike of the drum but the resonance of the drum chamber as well. The same with the double bass on Linda Ronstadt's "Humming to Myself". The mids are just gorgeous, Linda sounded fantastic and the highs are razor sharp. The whole sound was just silky smooth and detailed.

In the past when there has been a little bit of edge and hardness to the sound I thought it was the CD I was listening to. Well, to be honest, I have to say that "sound" was the PDC 2.6P because it was NOT present with the HDP-3 and is VERY noticeable stepping back down to the PDC 2.6P.

Also, the background noise of the PDC 2.6P active balanced output board has always annoyed me. Now I'm pleased to say that the transformer output board is so quiet the music just appears out of the "darkness" and is very involving.

I was blown away by the demo and have now ordered a new HDP-3 with transformer balanced output. The PDC 2.6P was good but the HDP-3 is GREAT and I would say that it would easily (all things being equal) against $5000 preamps with passive speakers.

regards

HFN[/b]

Hello HFN ,

Thank's for the update , The latest DEQX has evolved for sure , Are You upgrading , or getting a new one .

Thanks for the write up HFN.

I dare say many people will be foaming at the mouth to listen to one of these jiggers.

Some photo's of your room and system would be greatly appreciated, if you don't mind me asking :blush:

Did I hear you have 6 x JC-1's :ohmy:

I dare say many people will be foaming at the mouth to listen to one of these jiggers.

Some photo's of your room and system would be greatly appreciated, if you don't mind me asking :blush:

Did I hear you have 6 x JC-1's :ohmy:[/b]

I thought so to , but there are various models in the halo range , May be one day

HFN,

How far off axis are they recommending for measuring the mid and tweeter. 15 degrees? And if you measure this far off axis would you then only correct the speakers response up to say 15Khz to avoid extra boost in the 15 to 20kHz range that would result as DEQX compensates for the measured drop off in response from being off axis. I imagine measuring off axis will give a better correction of the "power response" but you probably don't need to boost the >15kHz area.

Trevor[/b]

I could be totally wrong here Trev, but when you do the close off axis measurement, make sure to actually enter the data (degrees off axis, distance etc) into the applicABLE BOXES, as that data is taken into account in the number crunching phase. Anyway, will ask Alan when he's out here this weekend. I will actually pay attention this time!!

Nah, all serious, it's knida gonna be a training day for me ha ha ha. AND, a very friendly person has kindly lent me a tasty pair of ribbons to try in the Franks (not sure if I'm sposed to keep his name quiet or not) so that WILL be heaps of fun.

Mark, (I didn't know it's now a HDP 3..why not just go to a PDC 3??) it's good that your experience mirrors mine, though I had little time to audition it. As my ears are now dialled in with all my new settings, it will be worthwhile to change nothing bar the new unit and I'll be able to appreciate the changes for what they are.

Can't quite decipher your last paragraph though...and I haven't had a beer tonight!

Thanks for your thoughts, are you able to get a sense of the impact/degree of change that came as a result of the new measurement techniques alan used? You covered the bass bit well (and I agree that the already good results of room correction with para was taken to a completely new level) but what did you note about the actual speaker measurements? (although having typed that I suddenly had a vague memory that you had only used x-over slopes...ie no correction before?? If so then a hard question to answer!)

One big change in my system was the use of very different x-over points, particularly between the mid and tweeter. Were those points changed from what you used to run, and if so how would you describe those differences.

Bit off topic I know, but am trying to get a feel for the impact of the new techniques, have only seen it done on mine and a survey of one only is not particularly illuminating.

"I could be totally wrong here Trev, but when you do the close off axis measurement, make sure to actually enter the data (degrees off axis, distance etc) into the applicABLE BOXES, as that data is taken into account in the number crunching phase. Anyway, will ask Alan when he's out here this weekend. I will actually pay attention this time!!"

Maybe you're right Terry, I'm not sure. Talking to some guys at one of Queensland Audio Club meetings quite some time ago now, in fact I think it was Mark and Jiri, but can't remember, but they were of the opinion that entering in the data in those boxes is more for your own reference so you can recall how the measurements were done rather than them having an effect on the calculations. It would be good to know for sure.

So yes, ask that nice man Alan, and make sure you have some beers first so it all makes sense to you. A clear, relaxed head is very important. Beer beer beer.

but they were of the opinion that entering in the data in those boxes is more for your own reference so you can recall how the measurements were done rather than them having an effect on the calculations. It would be good to know for sure.[/b]

No, they actually do have a bearing on the calcualtaions, I do know that much (I was of similar opinion previously). What I'm unsure of is in relation to your question above 15k.

Hi Terry

Just letting you know that there is no secret at all etc (lending you mine tweeters.)I have no use for them now and thought that someone might look for some good tweeters and Raal's could be an option. Also I'm very interesting what do you guys think about them.

I have not heard better tweeter yet as I sad many times (sorry).

Despite all that there is always a change that those drivers would not be suitable in your system (or some other) and you might still prefer yours tweeters so feel free to post your finding and opinion.

Regarding the new DEQX it is a shame that I can't effort the new one this moment as oversees trip is around the comer also some money still has to be spent on mine speakers.

I did also promise to build another (MT) speaker for friend of mine before I leave so I would not have time to even play with the new toy. Other option would be to keep the 2.6P and get the new PDC3 incase I decide to go 4 way one day but it is costly have to think that one over.

Have fun over the weekend

jch

Obiwan,

We measured the mids and tweeter at 10-15 degree off axis with the microphone pointing at the edge of the front baffle.

The correction limits are still dragged out to 20Khz or a bit beyond. This will depend on your tweeter and whether or not the Earthworks M30 microphone is being used.

Now the trick with this off axis measurement approach is NOT to toe the speakers in too much. I previously had mine toed in such that the front baffle was largely facing the listening position now they are largely facing forward. The effect here is to get a wider sound stage but STILL have precision image placement.

The near field midrange and tweeter measurements are at roughly 40cm which provided an impluse window of 24ms in my situation.

The sub/bass is measured at the listening spot.

The big gain for me was that I didn't have to take extraordinary steps to measure the Australs in a triamp config with a decent impulse (15-20ms).

regards

HFN

HFN,

Thanks for your post. I did see your comments in the user group.

Are they still recommending 1m for speaker measurement or closer or further away?

And for measuring the "subs" you do that in the listening position. I'll give that a go when I get the chance.

No doubt they'll publish on the website how to do all this soon enough, I'm just being impatient.

Trevor[/b]

Did I hear you have 6 x JC-1's :ohmy:[/b]

LD

If I had 6 JC-1's I wouldn't need any heating in the room!

Anyway having such a high power amp is not really required in an active setup. I have the baby Halo's an A21 (250W 8 ohm) for the bass and two A23's (125W 8 ohm) one each for the midrange and tweeter in a hybrid horizontal/vertical stack arrangement. Horizontal (stereo) for the bass and vertical (psuedo mono blocks) for the mids and tweeters.

As an aside for you LD it has been very educational doing these bass measurements with respect to room treatment in particular bass traps.

Hi TJ,

* It's my understanding the numbers entered are largely for reference by the user. However, the default window for the impluse is based on the distance from driver number entered.

* Yes, a good point it is confusing until I add the word "competitive". I have made an edit on the original post

* I only ever did a poor "normal" measurement triamp near field (9ms impulse) and the resulting SQ was flat and the staging had collapsed. I never used it to actually listen to any music!

* Yes, good point regarding the xovers.

So, as I see it, these are the main points for the staggering improvement in SQ on my system. In no particular order.

1) much lower xover points with less steep slopes.

It's my understanding that the bass xover is less than 250 Hz while the tweeter xover is as low as practical for the given tweeter in ones system. On my system the xover points are 245 and 1650 Hz with 60db slopes. The goal is to keep all drivers omidirectional and linear for as much of their pass band as possible.

2) off axis measurement

This is done for the midrange and tweeter and (I'm not sure on this!) I guess it's done to get a real world measurement of the driver in the front baffle rather than just the driver alone. I will need to quiz Alan more closely next time we catch up. The fact that the speakers are not toed in much certainly supports the off axis approach.

3) in room measurement

This is done at the listening spot for the bass and I covered the reasons in my initial post.

4) Earthworks M30 microphone

When measuring below 1 KHz there is not much difference between this reference microphone and the cheaper mics. However, above 1 KHz with respect to phase and impluse this mic is in a class of its own. Hey, but I'm no expert in this matter!

5) HDP-3

Of course all of the above comes together when you have a HDP-3! :biggrin:

In my initial post was I was trying to stay focused on the new HDP-3 but if the thread drifts into measurement stuff then that's ok.

regards

HFN

I could be totally wrong here Trev, but when you do the close off axis measurement, make sure to actually enter the data (degrees off axis, distance etc) into the applicABLE BOXES, as that data is taken into account in the number crunching phase. Anyway, will ask Alan when he's out here this weekend. I will actually pay attention this time!!

Nah, all serious, it's knida gonna be a training day for me ha ha ha. AND, a very friendly person has kindly lent me a tasty pair of ribbons to try in the Franks (not sure if I'm sposed to keep his name quiet or not) so that WILL be heaps of fun.

Mark, (I didn't know it's now a HDP 3..why not just go to a PDC 3??) it's good that your experience mirrors mine, though I had little time to audition it. As my ears are now dialled in with all my new settings, it will be worthwhile to change nothing bar the new unit and I'll be able to appreciate the changes for what they are.

Can't quite decipher your last paragraph though...and I haven't had a beer tonight!

Thanks for your thoughts, are you able to get a sense of the impact/degree of change that came as a result of the new measurement techniques alan used? You covered the bass bit well (and I agree that the already good results of room correction with para was taken to a completely new level) but what did you note about the actual speaker measurements? (although having typed that I suddenly had a vague memory that you had only used x-over slopes...ie no correction before?? If so then a hard question to answer!)

One big change in my system was the use of very different x-over points, particularly between the mid and tweeter. Were those points changed from what you used to run, and if so how would you describe those differences.

Bit off topic I know, but am trying to get a feel for the impact of the new techniques, have only seen it done on mine and a survey of one only is not particularly illuminating.[/b]

Thanks for all that HFN, maybe I should look at getting the Earthworks mic as well and be done with it.

The low crossover point between the mid and tweeter makes sense to help the drivers be as good off axis as on axis. Only problem with my speakers is if I try to cross the tweeter below 2kHz it then tells me "one of the drivers is out of phase, but don't worry we'll fix it, or words to that effect". So intuitively I thought gee, I better keep it above 2kHz. The Dynaudio Esotar tweeter is supposed to be quite robust given that Dynaudio normally uses first order crossovers, so perhaps I shouldn't be worried about DEQX flipping the phase if I drop it below 2kHz, it must know what its doing.

Thanks for the interesting post HiFiNut, and your invitation to join you which unfortunately l could not make. Looks like exciting times ahead for DEQX, this new unit addresses a lot of criticism aimed at the original unit. Good on DEQX for listening :biggrin:

Thanks for the interesting post HiFiNut, and your invitation to join you which unfortunately l could not make. Looks like exciting times ahead for DEQX, this new unit addresses a lot of criticism aimed at the original unit. Good on DEQX for listening :biggrin:[/b]

Wow, HFN sounds like this is a big upgrade on the prvious DEQX. Great to hear. Love to hear it sometime when you get the new unit

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think anyone here has the new DEQX yet. We're supposed to send our old units to DEQX by the 16th April to have the upgrade done.

Don't think anyone here has the new DEQX yet. We're supposed to send our old units to DEQX by the 16th April to have the upgrade done.

I've had one since last year :rolleyes: Have no idea how it compares to the Tact.

I've had one since last year :rolleyes: Have no idea how it compares to the Tact.

Can you please advise what the improvement of HDP-3 over PDC-2.6?

Is there only a processor only version for HDP-3? I intend to use it between the source and pre-amp and so do not really need the pre-amp section.

Hi obiwan

Are you sending the whole unit or can we send (alternatively) just the main board?

Thank you

JiriAU

No idea as I've never owned one. TerryJ and Aslan did a comparison. There is a thread on Stereonet somewhere.

Is there only a processor only version for HDP-3? I intend to use it between the source and pre-amp and so do not really need the pre-amp section.

Hmmm.....not sure about that one. I'm not much help really am I! :rolleyes: Ask DEQX by posting a question on their website. They usually get back to you very quickly.

Well, its called the 3... Isnt it? It has to be better...

Im waiting for the 11 to come out. :)

I just looked for the thread where the experts (Terry and Andrew) discussed the new one but couldnt find it....but Im tired and shift working. Sorry.

Im pretty sure it has improved output transformers and I think new DACs/ADCs. Sure to be worth it. And dont forget that it is still worth getting hold of an older 2.6 and upgrading it.

I thought I covered this (briefly) in post #13

As far as I know only the preamp version is available. Of course, in the crossover configuration one would need a multichannel preamp for analogue volume control.

I thought I covered this (briefly) in post #13

Just skimming over post 13, there doesn't seem to be anything about the new features of the HDP3. Seems to be all about new measuring techniques and the Earthworks mic. Both of these are possible/usable with the 2.6, unless I am mistaken?

Just skimming over post 13, there doesn't seem to be anything about the new features of the HDP3. Seems to be all about new measuring techniques and the Earthworks mic. Both of these are possible/usable with the 2.6, unless I am mistaken?

Yes! Good point Dr X.

Post #1 covers some of the SQ differences I found between the PDC 2.6P and the HDP-3. As for hardware differences that was covered briefly elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't have the specifics on me at the moment...

What DACs are they using now?

I would think that signal path should be DC coupled, but I guess the practicality was to make it flexible for non-experts.

Nice.

I'm a lucky bugger. I paid for the 2.6 and then DEQX rang up and said do you want the first HDP3 at no extra cost. What else could I say? :D

Can't beat good old customer service. That is a great deal.

Now where are the pic's we are all patiently waiting on ...... :) Hi Dr X

Hi LD,

yes Dr X did get a very good deal.... he should be very happy.

all going to plan I should have mine next week and I will try to get some pics up asap.

HFN

Coming! Should have a Pioneer Kuro 508XDA before the weekend. It really needs to be included in the photo too :D

Hi LD,

yes Dr X did get a very good deal.... he should be very happy.

all going to plan I should have mine next week and I will try to get some pics up asap.

HFN

Oooh, Hi HiFiNut, I did not intend to sound rather forward in my request for pic's of your set-up, as I was actually refering to Dr X's tardiness in posting previously promised pic's :), but now that you are offering, I am also sure that everyone would very much enjoy looking at pics of your system too. Looking forward to seeing them :D

Oooh, Hi HiFiNut, I did not intend to sound rather forward in my request for pic's of your set-up, as I was actually refering to Dr X's tardiness in posting previously promised pic's :), but now that you are offering, I am also sure that everyone would very much enjoy looking at pics of your system too. Looking forward to seeing them :D

very smooth LD!:)

I thought you want pics of the HDP-3 inside and out..... silly me.

To be honest I'd be embarassed to show pics of my system. The centre channel sits on carboard box on a table, the amps, CDP, DEQX are all on off cuts of plasterboard on the floor... at least the speakers look good

HFN

Can you tell me the rrp for the new unit and dont forget to wipe all your porn of your laptop obiwan...I will be inviting you and your unit over for some beer in the next couple of months for a demo! I just ordered a full Paradigm Signature (6) series surround setup for our new home and would love to hear what this tech does in my environment.

If you cant help me are there any local sellers in Brisbane that will do a demo?

:P

Coming! Should have a Pioneer Kuro 508XDA before the weekend. It really needs to be included in the photo too :P

Sorry for the OT post, but didn't you just buy a Sony LCD :P

Can you tell me the rrp for the new unit and dont forget to wipe all your porn of your laptop obiwan...I will be inviting you and your unit over for some beer in the next couple of months for a demo! I just ordered a full Paradigm Signature (6) series surround setup for our new home and would love to hear what this tech does in my environment.:)

I did mention about porn once didn't I.

I don't know what the recommended retail is, I think it is of the order of $6000 plus. I haven't sent my unit down yet for the upgrade. Apparently they have a supply problem with the front face plates, so they have advised us not to send till end of month.

I think the main benefit of DEQX is active linear phase crossover, followed by speaker correction, followed by room correction. So in your system you'll be missing out on its best feature. Still though it would be interesting to hear just what DEQX would do to your system. With your AVprocessor you could perhaps set your main speakers to large and subwoofer to "off" and then use DEQX to blend your main speakers and sub instead. This might be worthwhile. Do you have a separate surround processor and power amps or a combined receiver?

I did mention about porn once didn't I.

I don't know what the recommended retail is, I think it is of the order of $6000 plus. I haven't sent my unit down yet for the upgrade. Apparently they have a supply problem with the front face plates, so they have advised us not to send till end of month.

I think the main benefit of DEQX is active linear phase crossover, followed by speaker correction, followed by room correction. So in your system you'll be missing out on its best feature. Still though it would be interesting to hear just what DEQX would do to your system. With your AVprocessor you could perhaps set your main speakers to large and subwoofer to "off" and then use DEQX to blend your main speakers and sub instead. This might be worthwhile. Do you have a separate surround processor and power amps or a combined receiver?

I have the Marantz 7002 as a pre-pro to the Elektra Theatron 7. That price is in the vicinity of the Lyngdorf Room perfect machine. I'd love to hear how each one performed, although after the amount I have just spent recenty, I think I might be looking for a second hand unit in say 12 months or so...still I could sell a painting (an original Hugh Sawrey) I have that's worth a bit.

hmmmmmm....

:)