The Pro-ject Audio Owners appreciation thread.

Hey fellow Project owners and fans,

I will grab some photos of my setup once the heat upstairs has dissipated for the day :(, but for now I would like to share my experience with the 1Xpreience carbon classic.

I bought it as an ex demo unit from a GraysOnline auction with 12 months warranty (luckily). When it arrived it was effectively DOA, with no belt, a mangled stylus on the 2M silver and a broken lifter foot :(

Anyway the team at Duratone here in Canberra were great and helped me salvage some dignity and a chance to listen to some tunes, new Rega Elys2 cartridge and motor belt installed and away I went. Complaining to Grays had the importer/distributor send me a new cart, foot and belt to cover the issues, kinda winning :)

Everything was great, though I felt the 1Xpression w felt mat combined with my NAD class D amp was missing something In the sound. That was until, just after christmas the TT developed  a hum in the right channel with a complete loss of music :(. After tracing all the connections from the speakers back to the amp and then the TT, I finally discovered the issue is in the red head shell wire somewhere, and with a fat finger prod, can get the sound back for a while. 

Anyway this saga is continuing, and I am hoping the importer/distributor, who holds my warranty from Grays, can sort out my flagging faith in the brand.

On a more useful note for the masses, I have tested a cork/rubber platter mat from Tonar, and determined it was a static nightmare (returned it) and now an SRM/Tech Silicone Platter Mat has replaced it and it is great. I also added a lightweight disc clamp and the sounds I felt were missing are now there, with better mids and lows all round it is a good listening experience, and with the addition of a SUB I have found great love for vinyl, but the loss of the lovely stereo effect at random times is still there ….. 

So I would be interested in the groups thoughts about the differences I may get from trialling the 2M Silver or a 2M Blue I have in the drawer? And I am wondering if there are any thoughts about phono stages that may surpass the onboard stage of my NAD?

Edit: Photos

6f04b9411109a4f75a6f55f8505951f3.jpg

c1684b5678f9bad936ce992c8b337154.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds like a loose wire in the headshell perhaps? Not a major drama I would think. Depending on your budget of course, but a table like that deserves at least a 2M bronze or perhaps a MC cart. I think you would also most certainly benefit from a decent phono stage as well. You could always sell the carts you have currently to fund these upgrades :)

1 hour ago, EV Cali said:

@Gijo1977

It is a good idea not to have the speakers on the same surface as the T.T

Yeah, I have some stands that need a weight increase and 2 small children who need ear upgrades and possible limb restraint technology installed :)

I have 4x vibrapods under each speaker in an attempt to de-couple them from the cabinet...... 

1 hour ago, Jebediah said:

Sounds like a loose wire in the headshell perhaps? Not a major drama I would think. Depending on your budget of course, but a table like that deserves at least a 2M bronze or perhaps a MC cart. I think you would also most certainly benefit from a decent phono stage as well. You could always sell the carts you have currently to fund these upgrades :)

As for the cart options I think you are right. I have to work a good pre + cart combo into the right sequence.... I think pre then cart.

I was thinking the Tubebox DS or the Phonobox RS are probably the best options for an MM/MC phono? I also watched some of the CES stuff on youtube, the new stuff from project looks pretty good as well, maybe I will have to wait.

Thanks for the responses :)

Edited by Gijo1977

Guest thathifiguy
I'm thinking about the power box for my phono box RS. What are your thoughts, and was it available locally?

I had to source mine from overseas as Interdyn don't bring them in. I bought it from Analogue Seduction in the UK.

I think it's the perfect pairing for the Phono Box RS, just a beautiful, enjoyable sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

In follow up to my current issues with the Project Turntable, it seems as though there was a break in the tone arm wires, requiring a more substantial warranty intervention :(

When combined with the original damage on the cartridge and tonearm lifter, I lost confidence in the whole turntable :( and whilst interdyn didn't come up with the 'goods' on my offer to pay the RRP difference between the 1Xperience and the 2Xpression (in replacement)…. they have agreed to help me organise a refund :) yay.

So all-in-all I thought the Project was a good looking and capable turntable in theory, my particular unit had suffered some mischief and was never able to perform to its potential….. looks like I will now be trawling the classifieds here to find a suitable quality replacement.

So I guess my appreciation of the Project brand has now ended…………..guess we will see?

On 22/02/2017 at 10:14 PM, Honey Badger said:

Been eyeing the 1 expression for a while now, seem to be on sale most places for around a K, can I do better for this price or will the expression suffice?

I haven't been able to listen to the Rega P2 yet, but the P3 was very good. I did get a chance to listen to some music hall tables, but they only had the mmf7 but I think the 5 might be the closer of their decks to the budget.

In the end the 1Xpression was good, but I think at the RRP there are better tables.

I just bought a RPM 5.1 yesterday and had it fitted with a Ortofon 2M blue. I'm really enjoying it! I haven't a lot of experience with different carts but it was fitted with a Ortofon Silver when I auditioned it at the dealer. Compared to that, the blue sounds more laid back. Not sure if that's the right term but music is just more lovely, with mids clearer and tighter base.
I had a carbon debut before this fitted with a Ortofon OM 10...as you would expect the new table and better cart has been a nice upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Anyone run a rpm5.1? Interested to hear what carts you are using. I have an at150mlx but aren't sure I'm happy with it anymore. 

Hi Blakey,

While I don't run a 5.1, my debut carbon has a 2m bronze fitted, and I rate it highly. I can only imagine that the higher specs of the 5.1 would allow the bronze to shine more than on my carbon, given its limitations. I've found the bronze to be a great tracker, and virtually removed all the IGD I'd had previously. Of course it is a significant investment nowdays getting close to the $600 rrp mark. I would not describe the bronze as being laid back or particularly warm, probably more analytical if anything. Some would complain it's a little too digital in its presentation?

Depends what sound you're looking for. How would you describe the 150mlx's sound?

Hi, I've got a Project 6 Perspex, with a Garrott  P-77 cart. I also have a Autofon Bronze which is still new in the box. I might upgrade to a Black before I try the Bronze, we"ll see. I use a Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage. I'm happy with the overall sound, but was wondering if there are any worthwhile mods for this TT, such as a platter matt, anyhow,...Cheers,....Bugs

16 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Anyone run a rpm5.1? Interested to hear what carts you are using. I have an at150mlx but aren't sure I'm happy with it anymore. 

I had the older RPM5, and used the Goldring 10XX series cart on it, from 1006 to 1042. Worked really well, nice synergy but also noted at the time that others had successfully used the Ortofon 2M series, especially the Black.

I heard a 2Xpression the other day running a blue... Very nice sound out of the Piaga speakers in-store. Interestingly the rep suggested to me that the 2M Silver is a Red stylus on the Bronze/Black body......

If this is true, it gives a fair few Project owners a great upgrade path....

I have the RPM 5.1 and I'm using Ortofon 2M Blue, Pro-Ject Tube Box II, Pro-Ject Puck and Funk Achromat. I must admit I'm very happy with the results. I would like to upgrade to a 2m Black and get the Graham Slee Reflex M by the end of the year. I might even buy the acrylic platter too. I have no idea if it would improve the sound but it sure looks nice. check out the link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Delta-Device-ACRYLTELLER-ACRYLIC-UPGRADE-PLATTER-fur-for-Pro-Ject-RPM-5-RPM-4-/260715877791?hash=item3cb3e0959f:m:maQ0O70qKoMel0toO6KtsPQ

I used the the cork mat and I hated it because it would always stick to the records and the static build up really started to pi$$ me off!

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
I just bought a RPM 5.1 yesterday and had it fitted with a Ortofon 2M blue. I'm really enjoying it! I haven't a lot of experience with different carts but it was fitted with a Ortofon Silver when I auditioned it at the dealer. Compared to that, the blue sounds more laid back. Not sure if that's the right term but music is just more lovely, with mids clearer and tighter base.
I had a carbon debut before this fitted with a Ortofon OM 10...as you would expect the new table and better cart has been a nice upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2M Silver is compatible with all of the 2M series stylii. As standard it comes equipped with an equivalent to the 2M Red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk