Stupid article about vinyl

2 hours ago, Peterbean said:

the headline says best old record players, and I’m expecting Thorens, or Garrard, but no, because none of them are old and the writers thinks it can only be an all in one
https://www.jpost.com/advisor/home-and-kitchen/10-best-old-record-players-773564

I think you should have posted this in the A joke for the day.......................... thread!

• Like 1

Just like there is a distinction between CD players (= has inbuilt DAC) and CD transports (no DAC) back in my day there was a distinction between a Record Player (= has inbuilt amplifier and maybe speakers) and a Turntable (no amplifier).  My wife had a record player.  There was also a distinction between a tape recorder (= with amplifier) and a tape deck (no amp).  At the time I had 2 tape recorders which I later replaced with a tape deck.

Maybe today's youngsters have forgotten that; the author hasn't.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, aechmea said:

Just like there is a distinction between CD players (= has inbuilt DAC) and CD transports (no DAC) back in my day there was a distinction between a Record Player (= has inbuilt amplifier and maybe speakers) and a Turntable (no amplifier).  My wife had a record player.  There was also a distinction between a tape recorder (= with amplifier) and a tape deck (no amp).  At the time I had 2 tape recorders which I later replaced with a tape deck.

Maybe today's youngsters have forgotten that; the author hasn't.

Back in my day (pre-CD's), the phrases "turntable" and "record player" were used interchangeably. Similarly, tapedeck and tape-recorder (as all cassette machine were able to record).

• Administrator

See the BIG "View on Amazon" on every single product - this is nothing more than a clickbait click generating affilliate marketing article.

Ten Best this, and Ten Best that, are all the same. Even some of our (StereoNET) competitors are "producing" this type of content now. We have to be smarter with the search terms we use now when doing research if you want genuine content.

I was "researching" a new soldering station for a little project I am working on last night and I found it extremely hard to find a genuine article comparing or reviewing (proper) solder stations without affilliate links.

• Like 3