Wtb - turntable but which one?

Hello and thank you in advance,  I have just gone out and purchased myself a Cambridge evo 150 all in one amp and a set of sonus faber lumina 3 floor stand speakers, I’m now looking for my first turntable but I am totally new to this but am so intrigued and keen to get into it. My budget however is limited to around $600 at this stage so I’m after a 2nd hand one but absolutely no idea what I should be looking for, and help would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a beautiful technics sl 1500 from the mid 70’s that I just adore for around $750 but am clueless if it’s a good option or not. Thanks again

brad

43 minutes ago, 075Congo said:

The Music Hall Classic Turntable in the Classifieds at $600 would be a good move. Reviewed very well and normally retails at $1K.

100% agree and a excellent starter system TT, quality made and not a plastic toy like some cheap tables can be

I have a CEC BD2200 that has been fully upgraded and serviced, was a one owner table and in mint condition, its vintage but the design matches in with todays gear. Very nice sounding table, well within your budget, PM me for more info.

CEC_BD2200-2.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

If you can go a little higher this will destroy everything mentioned so far.  He may be negotiable on price.

Definitely.

I was going to suggest the same ,but the $600 is somewhat limiting. If the OP can stretch the budget this will be something that can be used for a lifetime with no need for an upgrade

I have one myself and it suits a wide range of carts and it sounds superb and makes many new TTs look and feel like toys.

• Like 2

@Brad272

The other, less expensive turntables are of reasonable quality and certainly OK, but they also represent more of a stop-gap solution and are not of the same quality and sound quality potential as your front end and speakers.

The Pioneer PL 50 is in  a completely different league altogether and I completely understand that you are working to a budget, but I can promise you that if you can stretch  it could easily be not only your first TT but possibly also your last.

Your only upgrades then will be trying out MM and MC carts.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rantan said:

@Brad272

The other, less expensive turntables are of reasonable quality and certainly OK, but they also represent more of a stop-gap solution and are not of the same quality and sound quality potential as your front end and speakers.

The Pioneer PL 50 is in  a completely different league altogether and I completely understand that you are working to a budget, but I can promise you that if you can stretch  it could easily be not only your first TT but possibly also your last.

Your only upgrades then will be trying out MM and MC carts.

thank you, i have come here to ask for advice and that is exactly what i have received, thank you, i will do my best to change my budget to try to accomodate this even though it doesn't have a cartridge, i will still need to purchase one of those too. i guess the sub will have to wait until christmas haha

9 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

@Brad272

Before yiu go down the rabbit,Have a think 

Please feel free to elaborate, as mentioned I am a total newbie to this and am happy to hear everyone’s opinion on the matter. Pros and cons. One thing I am sure of is I’ve been wanting to get into this stuff for a while but never pulled the trigger until now

4 minutes ago, Brad272 said:

Please feel free to elaborate, as mentioned I am a total newbie to this and am happy to hear everyone’s opinion on the matter. Pros and cons. One thing I am sure of is I’ve been wanting to get into this stuff for a while but never pulled the trigger until now

How many records in good condition do you have?

22 minutes ago, Brad272 said:

Sorry have a wierd bug that won't let me type past a certain point. 

Anyhow have a think about what exactly you want from.a turntable how much are you going to.use it and how do you really want to spend.  Yes the pioneer is nice but it's already over your  budget without a cartridge.

If you just want to dip.your toes and have a casual listen some of the cheaper suggestions are fine, if you want to get really into vinyl then.yes the pioneer is a good fit, bear in mind your evo 150 limits you in cartridge choice 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mendes said:

How many records in good condition do you have?

There is alot, my dad left me a quiet a collection after his passing. But admittedly half of them I would never listen to

The way I see it is that running vinyl is expensive.

Full stop.

However this is offset by the way the pleasure cloud descends upon you and nothing else has this effect. 

The very big caveat here is that getting a cheap turntable will,in time, see you either disappointed or in the upgrade saddle.

A $500 turntable with a $50 cart won't give you that satisfaction for very long or even at all,so an extra $280 for something like the Pioneer and a decent cart for $500 adds up to $780 for something that will be satisfying in the long term and actually SAVE you a lot of money.

I am completely aware of budget restraints as I have many of them  myself but buying affordable premium gear saves you thousands over time.

• Like 5

There have been posts from people in the past with very similar questions to yours. Some have tried a turntable and were quite happy with the results, whereas others declared this is not for me and on-sold their purchase. If this is all new to you, might be worthwhile to start out small, and see how you go.

Note: @rantan got his post in while I was typing, and it's full of good points. Your decision will not be straightforward, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Brad272 said:

There is alot, my dad left me a quiet a collection after his passing. But admittedly half of them I would never listen to

Buying records is part of the money pit :thumb:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I am hoping to buy the pioneer, I just haven’t heard back from him yet. It’s only money right hahah. Thank you everybody. Love hearing the pros and cons but I have a similar mentality to that of @rantan and would prefer to buy quality once, as mentioned I was just very new and didn’t know what budget got me what. Happy to pay for a better unit if it’s highly recommended which it seems to be. 🙏

• Like 4

alright brains trust, it looks like someone else has purchased the tt, if i decided to raise my budget to $1k cartridge inclusive, do you know of anything out there that i should look at? thanks again.

as previously mentioned, would a 1975 technics sl 1500 for $750 be a good buy?

Brad