Classical currently spinning thread

Bach unaccompanied cello suits
after hearing Peter Whisperwey sp!? live ive been watching for other versions 

1 Slava Gregoyian now has all 6 available on 2 CDs 5 on tenor guitar (apparently it's now believed the 6th was not written for the cello?).the second cd was released this week. Not available on vinyl but ....

2 Yesterday I found  the Bach solo cello suites by Enders on vinyl 3 LPs for $50 free delivery  from get CDs au in Kentucky, they usually take about 10 days  to deliver.
Enders seems to get good reviews, they might all be from his mum, at that price it's a worthy buy. The Starker equivalent is $160 plus shipping., too much for a retirees wallet 

Wispelwey is great, I have all his three recordings and saw him twice playing the suites in Syd, unforgettable!
Enders is good but not as great as like Starker, Rostropovich, Wispelwey and Isserlis..etc in saying that I enjoy Enders as well as many other cellist. The suites are such great music that give musicians unlimited interpretation.
  • Like 2

1 Slava Gregoyian now has all 6 available on 2 CDs 5 on tenor guitar (apparently it's now believed the 6th was not written for the cello?).the second cd was released this week. Not available on vinyl but ....

2 Yesterday I found  the Bach solo cello suites by Enders on vinyl 3 LPs for $50 free delivery  from get CDs au in Kentucky, they usually take about 10 days  to deliver.

Enders seems to get good reviews, they might all be from his mum, at that price it's a worthy buy. The Starker equivalent is $160 plus shipping., too much for a retirees wallet 

...double post

In contemplation of possibly buying the Warner 5lp release of Du Pre 
http://www.warnerclassics.com/shop/550186,0190295754747/jacqueline-du-pre-five-legendary-recordings

I've been listening to my Elgar Cello lp versions, including Elgar conducting Elgar
20171111_173308.thumb.jpg.e690c151b29c2c9f81ea0a3f451ed3b7.jpg
20171111_173341.thumb.jpg.56449658019ff83174a1ce43e0cb3ac5.jpg

Gee thanks for the heads up.. I’ve gone ahead and pre purchased my box..

On 11/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, djb said:

Bach unaccompanied cello suites

Thanks @djb I succumbed and ordered this on Friday and it arrived just now. :) 

A fair bit of cover ring wear as the three LPs are shoved into a gatefold but so far sounds really good.

5a0b7ea29c3c3_BachCelloEnders.thumb.jpg.387fd8f953c2b69b97c16220bb60193c.jpg

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Citroen said:

Thanks @djb I succumbed and ordered this on Friday and it arrived just now. :) 

A fair bit of cover ring wear as the three LPs are shoved into a gatefold but so far sounds really good.

l think will go for one of the Speakers Corners Sealed Starker https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/398038627 let's face  it i'm never going stumble across this box set in an op shop!

J.S. Bach*, Paul Tortelier ‎ 1961 The Cello Suites. His Master's Voice ‎ SLS 798. 3 × LP, Reissue UK 1971.

Enders noted. So where does Paul Tortelier rank in the scheme of things?
DSCN1772.thumb.JPG.ac2b496a140ff3aa6293f4e4f0d7d5ba.JPG
DSCN1773.thumb.JPG.58fd1387367ee684aadb2f4a0f632b9c.JPG
I reckon they are all unique and it is subjective.
I would listen to Wispelwey when I need a lift, listen to Casals at night on my vintage TT, faster tempo ones at work...etc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

l think will go for one of the Speakers Corners Sealed Starker https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/398038627 let's face  it i'm never going stumble across this box set in an op shop!

That's the one. Its an excellent rendition, very well pressed and my favourite.

• Like 1

@Citroen  well done!

im not expecting mine for a few more days

Reading Enders reviews he doesn't play them in the traditional 1>6 order! Rather he orders them ....... back in a minute ........

sorry nonogeneria and innumerate had to check my notes

".order the Suites by way of what he sees to be their harmonic progession (V, II, IV, III, I, VI).

is this the order on the LPs?

Edited by djb
Age innumeracy

4 minutes ago, djb said:

@Citroen  well done!

im not expecting mine for a few more days

Reading Enders reviews he doesn't play them in the traditional 1>6 order! Rather he orders them ....... back in a minute ........

sorry nonogeneria and innumerate had to check my notes

".order the Suites by way of what he sees to be their harmonic progession (V, II, IV, III, I, VI).

is this the order on the LPs?

Yes. It threw for me for a bit as I'm used to listening to them in numerical order.

@djb you're 90+? Wow.

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 1

[mention=156875]jazzdog@groovemasters[/mention]  Don't know standings
Many ppl think yo yo Mah a bit stilted and boring I'd agree by istening to the cds.
Enders is the "young Turk" already recorded them more than once principal cellist of a major Deutsche symphony orchestra aged 20!
Yo yo ma's other recordings (inspired by Bach) is actually not bad when watch the dvd.
Try Isserlis recording too, each suite sort of has its own theme or program whatever you call it...and it also has recordings of three other version of the suite no.1 prelude.
  • Like 1

Thanks@djb I succumbed and ordered this on Friday and it arrived just now. [emoji4] 

I bought this when I read that Gramophone gave it an award..
it was also great to have newer version on vinyl.. however I do prefer my Starker version.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Citroen said:

@djb you're 90+? Wow.

@djb is not to be trusted on matters of his longevity, but I can definitely confirm that it’s a good few years since his age had an 8 in front. 

I doubt that klaviers were even well tempered when he got his first TT.

I’d like to be able to say he doesn’t look his age but, well ...

Edited by buddyev

4 hours ago, Citroen said:

Yes. It threw for me for a bit as I'm used to listening to them in numerical order.

@djb you're 90+? Wow.

@djb Great that you jumped right in & purchased it (your  recent' l don't buy green bananas anymore' statement must have been the guiding principle!). Wishing you many more  years of happy listening!

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
technical incompetence