Lumin Owners and Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Godot said:

I’m not a Lumin owner, so apologies for being off topic with that, but I hope I have some relevance to your query. I was on the Tidal MQA plan, but my DAC doesn’t support MQA. (I’m totally fine with no MQA in my life). I was always curious about Qobuz, especially as they have a lot more high res. content without the MQA processing. 
The CD quality Tidal plan at the $11.99 price point allows me to also pay a years Qobuz subscription for about the same price as I was paying previously for just Tidal MQA. I am enjoying Qobuz for an extra diversity of artists offered, the higher res. for streaming and the opportunity to have both Tidal and Qobuz mixed with my own library in Roon works for me. Free trials available for all plans so you can decide if any differences in SQ exist/ matter enough for you. (My short answer to your question is “no”). 
Enjoy!

Thanks Godot, I really appreciate your thoughts.  CD quality is all I’m after for my streaming so me thinks the $11.99 plan will do.  I like the idea of sampling and searching new artists. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

I like the idea of sampling and searching new artists. 

Lumin hardware also supports Spotify Connect using Spotify Free accounts (many competitors do not) in addition to paid accounts.  You may also use it to sample new artists and albums before deciding to buy a higher quality copy (digital or physical).

22 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

Hey folks, looking at dipping my toe in high res for the first time and need advice on bit rates and stuff. I’d only go so far as the Lumin D2 and am curious about the difference between Tidal’s subs that offer lossless 1411 kbps @ $11.99 and Master Audio Quality up to 9216 kbps @ $23.99. 

I’d prefer the cheaper offering but am I really missing out on quality with it? The Lumin, if I go down that path, would be replacing an Audia Flight CD player. So, I really want the SQ to be as good as the Audia Flight playing CD. 

Appreciate thoughts on the matter. 

I can't remember which Audia Flight CD player you have but I wouldn't get rid of it quite yet.

I have connected both my AF One CDP and my Lumin U1 mini streamer into my Abbas 2.3SE dac and in every track for track comparison, there is a marked improvement with the CD player. The Lumin is very clean, detailed and dynamic, but the AF retains the detail but provides more sound stage, richness and harmonics.

I realise this comparison doesn't address your queries around MQA - I'm just suggesting you consider all variables, especially if you're thinking of offloading your CD player. An option might be to get a Lumin U1 mini and use the coaxial output into the AF's digital input, thus using its own internal dac.

2 hours ago, gemini07 said:

I can't remember which Audia Flight CD player you have but I wouldn't get rid of it quite yet.

I have connected both my AF One CDP and my Lumin U1 mini streamer into my Abbas 2.3SE dac and in every track for track comparison, there is a marked improvement with the CD player. The Lumin is very clean, detailed and dynamic, but the AF retains the detail but provides more sound stage, richness and harmonics.

I realise this comparison doesn't address your queries around MQA - I'm just suggesting you consider all variables, especially if you're thinking of offloading your CD player. An option might be to get a Lumin U1 mini and use the coaxial output into the AF's digital input, thus using its own internal dac.

Thanks for your thoughts, greatly appreciated. I have two other CD spinners to play with, one of which is many times the quality of the AF. So, not really fussed at selling it. The AF I have doesn't have a digital input anyway. Besides, I need to pay for the Lumin somehow. 🙂 

• Like 1

Lumin D2 arrived yesterday and apart from an Ethernet cable shoved into the incorrect router port, it was a doddle to set up. 

On a trial with Qobuz for a month then will trial Tidal to compare. Loving it so far. SQ through my Gryphon is awesome. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Disable those services that you're not going to use, such as Roon Ready, Spotify Connect, AirPlay "Lumin Streaming", etc.

Does that speed things up by doing so? Not sure how to go about that but I’ll play around. 

One thing I can’t work out is how to control the volume through the Lumin app? 

On the Lumin App, there should be provisions to turn  'ON or OFF'. Its under heading LUMIN OPTIONS.

When you've opened Lumin app there is a circular display for volume and  '+  -'  controls.

1 minute ago, maximus said:

@muzzagruzzSQ through my Gryphon is awesome. 

So, how does sound quality in general compare to your Audia flight cd player.

Very good question. I pulled out the Audia Flight FLS9 to take more photos of it playing and took the opportunity of connecting the CD player and the Lumin at the same time, since the FLS9 has two XLR input sockets. 

Flicking between the two sources was easy and the difference between the two was barely noticeable but if I’m absolutely honest, I’d probably say the AF CD wins on absolute resolution.

NB - That’s a judgment based on twenty minutes of listening only. A proper comparison with far more time listening to each source is needed. Ideally, I’d need another person to flick between the two sources and not tell me which is playing. I’ve already disconnected the FLS9 but I may put it back in for further testing this weekend. (If my wretched back feels like lifting 25 kilos).  

3 minutes ago, maximus said:

On the Lumin App, there should be provisions to turn  'ON or OFF'. Its under heading LUMIN OPTIONS.

When you've opened Lumin app there is a circular display for volume and  '+  -'  controls.

Yes, I saw that option but I couldn’t get it to work. Will fiddle with it tonight. 

Thanks for chiming in. 

1 hour ago, muzzagruzz said:

Yes, I saw that option but I couldn’t get it to work. Will fiddle with it tonight.

Whenever the app is not behaving completely normally, please kill (swipe away) the app and relaunch it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It must be an amazing device, all I've read about the P1 is truly remarkable.

It's a shame we didn't have quality devices like this only several years ago, it would've saved me thousands and thousands and I would've hopped off the merry go round yonks ago.

It's a big jump in price going from T2 to P1, would've been great to bring out a bare bones P1 for 9-10k minus the inputs many users wouldn't bother or have a need for.

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've had the privilege of taking a P1 home for a long weekend to listen to and really rate it.  I was told there's only a couple in the country so I decided to share my opinion on it with you and wrote a quick review.  It's here.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In the first week of July 2022, there will be a firmware upgrade for U2 Mini to fix a USB low volume issue from some particular (not all) USB DAC.

If you’re using USB output from U2 Mini, please beware that there is a small chance that after doing the firmware upgrade, the DAC output volume will be increased even without changing the Lumin volume or volume control enable/disable setting.

This issue does not affect U1 / U1 Mini or any other Lumin model.  They will not receive the same firmware upgrade.

Hey peeps, question on connecting Lumin D2 to two integrated amps at the same time (obviously, not playing at the same time). 

It’s connected to a Gryphon integrated via XLR and this is the main system. A second system in the same room has a Hegel H80 integrated amp. Am I able to connect the Lumin D2 to the Hegel via coaxial safely? 

If yes, can anyone recommend a decent coaxial cable at 7 to 8 metres length? Not after Nordost, which is what I usually use, as it would be way to expensive. 

Thanks all in advance. 

Have just bought a Lumin P1 (haven’t received yet), but wondering if there is any difference between copper and optical Ethernet connection?
The cable run is 10 meters, and currently I have a Cat8 Supra, just wondering if I should bother at all getting/running optical cable instead, or there is zero difference?

• Volunteer
24 minutes ago, Islander77 said:

Have just bought a Lumin P1 (haven’t received yet), but wondering if there is any difference between copper and optical Ethernet connection?
The cable run is 10 meters, and currently I have a Cat8 Supra, just wondering if I should bother at all getting/running optical cable instead, or there is zero difference?

Cat8 is shielded. One should not use shielded copper Ethernet due to increased opportunity for transmission of noise (you're grounding the devices together at either end of the cable). Cat7 and 8 are only ratified for data centre usage, not domestic or office/commercial situations outside of DCs.

Use Cat6 U/UTP if you are stuck using copper. If you can run fibre, then it is the best of all options.

If you want more info on common grounding with shielded cable and associated issues, search the forum. I'm totally over explaining it again.

55 minutes ago, El Tel said:

Cat8 is shielded. One should not use shielded copper Ethernet due to increased opportunity for transmission of noise (you're grounding the devices together at either end of the cable). Cat7 and 8 are only ratified for data centre usage, not domestic or office/commercial situations outside of DCs.

Use Cat6 U/UTP if you are stuck using copper. If you can run fibre, then it is the best of all options.

wow Thanks so much for the answer. 
So it’s better to replace it then anyway. Can you please point me to the right direction for a quality fibre cable. As I’m not sure what exactly I should be looking for. Also, what kind of connector/adapter I need to buy for the switch side? (As it only accepts Rj-45). Or would I also need to replace a switch as well to the model with fibre-out?