Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Since the SXRD is now coming back I will have the SXRD for daytime and the projector for night.

Owen

Did you get your SXRD back yet and if so how is the picture after the repair?

Edited by kcjones

I couldn't have gone through all this and stayed sane. So I'm glad I went for the 65" VT20, no complaints; fantastic apart from the banding.

I am surprisingly detached and blasé about the process, they can take the TV back as many times as it takes to get it right or replace it if they cant. If they end up giving me a 65" Panasonic as a replacement I will be in a quandary as to what to do with it as posterization (colour banding) is top of my hate list. :mellow:

He owns 14 TV's, so he can always watch daytime TV on one of them.

I would know what to do with 14 TV's if I had them mate, but there are more then people to watch them so one missing is not a problem. ;)

I am surprisingly detached and blasé about the process, they can take the TV back as many times as it takes to get it right or replace it if they cant. If they end up giving me a 65" Panasonic as a replacement I will be in a quandary as to what to do with it as posterization (colour banding) is top of my hate list. :mellow:

The banding can be quite severe but I've never seen it on a Blu-ray. Is it bit-rate dependent?

The banding can be quite severe but I've never seen it on a Blu-ray. Is it bit-rate dependent?

Colour banding is typically source related and should not be a problem with Bluray, however how displays deal with source related banding varies greatly and many displays either create banding or make it worse.

As you have observed the Panasonic shows banding in situations where the SXRD did not, partly due to better chroma (colour) upsampling and partly because the SXRD has an inherent advantage in colour graduations over Plasma's that must use pulse width modulation and dither to control colour output,

The SXRD suffers less from banding than any other TV I have seen which is one reason I have always been so impressed with its performance. However time has not stood still since 2007 and JVC's LCOS projectors work miracles and show no banding in situations where the SXRD did. This would seem to be an impossible achievement but never the less its true. It goes to show there is no reason to put up with posterization as it is possible to make a display that is free of it.

I view a lot of less than best SD so the idea of going back to a level of performance worse than what was available in 2007 does not appeal.

Mine is awaiting another new optical block, the first was not up to standard. The owner/manager at SSS Electronics in Sydney is not happy Jan and has been very rude and abusive towards me because I would not accept a second rate repair. Obviously most people dont give a rats and as long as the TV has a picture they accept it.

If the second replacement is not acceptable he is going to spit the dummy big time as there will be about 3 hours of labor that is not going to get paid for. He recons he is going to get a Sony rep to check it is "up to spec" this time, but that's an old ploy that's not going to fly with me. If the TV is no good and is declared "up to spec" I have told him that I will demand the specializations in writing so I can get an independent assessment. I very much doubt that Sony will supply colour uniformity specifications in writing as it puts them on the spot so its going to be on.

The first replacement OB was worse than the original one that came with the TV new. Sony agreed it was not acceptable and replaced it without question. It was excellent and lasted over 4 years so I will be dammed if I will accept second best OB now. I have photos to prove what the previous OB's performed like.

The repair bill so far is $2873 ($2675 for the OB, the rest in labor) and its going to be interesting to see what happens if the next OB is no good. I doubt the insurer will pay if the TV cant be properly repaired and that's no doubt what the repairer is worried about, however it was a risk the repairer chose to take when the job was quoted. Considering the way the owner/manager of SSS treated me I have no sympathy what so ever.

He asked if I would come to the workshop in Roseberry Sydney (a 130km round trip for me and at my expense) to discus the problems I observed with the replacement OB. I obliged his request, attended last Monday and pointed out the problems that where plainly evident (even the technicians agreed with my assessment) the guy lost the plot, got angry and aggressive, showed me out and slammed the door behind me. Hows that for a professional attitude. He stands to loose $200 for labor as the OB is under 3 month warranty from Sony so it can be returned, for that measly amount he was prepared to waste my time and treat me like a fool.

I got the distinct impression the staff at SSS are used to his behavior and fear him, the guy obviously has anger management issues.

I have a good mind to make a formal compliant to the insurer.

Edited by Owen

European Electronics in Melbourne repair the optical blocks by replacing the LCD panel. They claim that new blocks are not available.

Owen, whilst $554 is better than $1541, it is still $500 that I could use better elsewhere. I didn't plan on spending $500-odd dollars every 2 years to repair this TV when I purchased it!

Steve

If you had a new refurbished OB from European Electronics, how was the result?

I have given up with Sony Extended Warranty who LOST my warranty policy somehow when it was transferred into my name from the previous owner :rolleyes: I just had a tech come out today from European Electronics and install a refurbished OB in my 70" (that had 95% yellow screen) and it took him around 2 hours with a cost of $639. The color is spot on perfect but the picture looks like ass, I think there is a convergence problem?

Now what used to be a crisp, sharp almost perfect HD picture is now almost standard definition quality if not worse! I have played around with the usual edge enhancement and sharpness menus to no avail. What would you guys recommend (short of getting them to change it again), is there a convergence menu in the service menu that I should be looking at or should I possibly have a play with the manual adjustment screws at the front bottom of the screen (the pic with the yellow corner markers suggests the whole image might be skewed):

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/t...Dadjustment.jpg

Here are a few crappy pics that I took of the set to show the problem, sorry for the poor cell phone camera quality but you can still see the issues. Would appreciate any advice on how I can fix this. Might go have a quick look in the service manual in the mean time...

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/t...36/97564655.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/t...36/78ec9e14.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/t...36/16975c17.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/t...36/2a31c12c.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/t...36/590f7520.jpg

P.S. why can't I embed my photobucket pics using the IMG code??

Edited by Frank Castle

Yes convergence is off, its adjustable in the service menu. It should not have been affected when the blue polariser was replaced so I wonder if you got the same OB back.

The OB also looks like it needs some adjustment to get it aligned with the screen, this has no affect on picture quality just alignment.

This is typical of the standard of work provided by TV service people, doing a job properly is apparently to much to ask.

Yes convergence is off, its adjustable in the service menu. It should not have been affected when the blue polariser was replaced so I wonder if you got the same OB back.

The OB also looks like it needs some adjustment to get it aligned with the screen, this has no affect on picture quality just alignment.

This is typical of the standard of work provided by TV service people, doing a job properly is apparently to much to ask.

Thanks for the reply, I looked through the whole service menu but couldn't find anything, if you know exactly where abouts it is can you or anyone point me in the right direction. (In your honest opinion Owen do you think I can fix the apparent convergence issues just using the service menu or is it better for them to take the OB back and fix it another way)?

When you say it may need some adjustment to align it, is this done with the screws at the front of the set or some other means?

FYI the tech came out to my house with a refurbished OB and swapped it in and took my old one with him. Are you saying that it's better to have the original OB refurbished so alignment is not affected?

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the reply, I looked through the whole service menu but couldn't find anything, if you know exactly where abouts it is can you or anyone point me in the right direction. (In your honest opinion Owen do you think I can fix the apparent convergence issues just using the service menu or is it better for them to take the OB back and fix it another way)?

Frank, you can adjust convergence in one pixel increments in the service menu. See instructions at post #6 of Sxrd Service Menu Access, Remote buttons to press. These adjustments are easy to make and should provide an immediate improvement compared with your photos. (I am assuming that the convergence issue is similar over the whole screen.)

Edited by MLXXX

He stands to loose $200 for labor as the OB is under 3 month warranty from Sony so it can be returned, for that measly amount he was prepared to waste my time and treat me like a fool.

You're not supposed to be knowledgeable about anything these days, just take whatever throw away junk they hand you and be on your merry way....how dare you stick to your guns and demand fair treatment, shame on you.

Frank, you can adjust convergence in one pixel increments in the service menu. See instructions at post #6 of Sxrd Service Menu Access, Remote buttons to press. These adjustments are easy to make and should provide an immediate improvement compared with your photos. (I am assuming that the convergence issue is similar over the whole screen.)

Thanks for the help, adjustments to the convergence did not get rid of the problem. The picture with the original OB was sharp as a tack, now if I open up a web browser on the PS3 I can hardly read the smaller text, the bottom left corner is nearly perfect and the top right corner is blurred. The best way I can describe it is like a duplicte ghosted image if you know what I mean. Really dissapointed as the quality is not what it used to be, it's driving me insane and can't stop focusing on it...

I wonder if when I call them to check it they will come and say there's nothing wrong with it and that i'm mad or too fussy lol...

P.S. I played around with the alignment screws on the front of the set and it did absolutely NOTHING at all in moving the image, followed the exact directions from the manual...

Edited by Frank Castle

It was never intended that the actual SXRD chips be replaceable, it can be done but getting the chip converged is going to be next to impossible outside the factory environment.

If the convergence is not correctable via the service menu the optical block must be replaced as it is misaligned internally.

I rang Sony today and checked price and availability for the 70" OB. Price was $2800 but the part is not available and has not been for some time.

SSS Electronics who have my 70" have charged for and said they fitted a "New" optical block but have obviously used a repaired one at a HUGE cost saving to them. This is fraudulent and I have reported it to the insurer, not only is an OB not repairable according to Sony but they have charged full price for a dodgy repair.

The saga continues.

Mine is now perfect again. Good luck to Frank and Owen.

Thanks champ. Glad to hear yours it back in business, did you have it fixed recently, if so where abouts did you have the work done?

I have just called European Electronics again to discuss my convergence issues, been dealing with a guy named Angelo and he has been fantastic, customer service so far is exceptional. He has arranged for a technician to come out to my place later in the week to see if he can have a play around with the service menus to fix it (i've already tried via the service menu so honestly I can't see the issues being solved this way). If the problem remains, hopefully they can rebuild my old OB that they now have and it will solve my issues. He did mention they have done a few of these and seem to have a high success rate, so fingers crossed.

Owen, any developments with your 70" inch and SSS Electronics?

In other news my reconditioned LG MW-60SZ12 60" rear-proj' LCD is just starting to develop a blue tinge in the bottom left of screen haha, I don't think I will ever buy another rear projection TV again, even though the SXRD is simply awesome when it is working.

Edited by Frank Castle

European Electronics did mine, so they also have my old optical block, which had no convergence issues.

Thanks champ. Glad to hear yours it back in business, did you have it fixed recently, if so where abouts did you have the work done?

I have just called European Electronics again to discuss my convergence issues, been dealing with a guy named Angelo and he has been fantastic, customer service so far is exceptional. He has arranged for a technician to come out to my place later in the week to see if he can have a play around with the service menus to fix it (i've already tried via the service menu so honestly I can't see the issues being solved this way). If the problem remains, hopefully they can rebuild my old OB that they now have and it will solve my issues. He did mention they have done a few of these and seem to have a high success rate, so fingers crossed.

Owen, any developments with your 70" inch and SSS Electronics?

In other news my reconditioned LG MW-60SZ12 60" rear-proj' LCD is just starting to develop a blue tinge in the bottom left of screen haha, I don't think I will ever buy another rear projection TV again, even though the SXRD is simply awesome when it is working.