Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi, reading your post and would like to know what sort of video card you got and also, how does the small print look in your tv? I got the 40w full HD, but the text looks too big for my liking, after using a 24'' Dell, I'm used to the small and clear print.

Thank you.

My HTPC consists of the IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) on my ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI which has an Intel G35 chipset, i've also put my Nvidia 8800GT in the HTPC as a test. Also I have an ATI 3650 on its way to test with as well.

I typically view the 46" X series from 2.5" meters away, occasionally when i'm configuring things i'll sit much closer as thats where the keyboard and mouse are, but I wouldn't recommend it for long.

I use dual 24" dells for my normal pc's and sit about 50-60cm from the screen i'd imagine.

My HTPC consists of the IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) on my ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI which has an Intel G35 chipset, i've also put my Nvidia 8800GT in the HTPC as a test. Also I have an ATI 3650 on its way to test with as well.

I typically view the 46" X series from 2.5" meters away, occasionally when i'm configuring things i'll sit much closer as thats where the keyboard and mouse are, but I wouldn't recommend it for long.

I use dual 24" dells for my normal pc's and sit about 50-60cm from the screen i'd imagine.

Now you got me worried, I usually sit at about 70 -80 cm from the monitor and frankly and don't feel tired as I used to feel with my Dell. I don't think I'm forcing my eyes in any way. I didn't mention that my video card is a Nvidia 6200 256 mb, as you can see is a low budget card.

Now you got me worried, I usually sit at about 70 -80 cm from the monitor and frankly and don't feel tired as I used to feel with my Dell. I don't think I'm forcing my eyes in any way. I didn't mention that my video card is a Nvidia 6200 256 mb, as you can see is a low budget card.

Doesn't really matter what your card is as long as your driving the display at 1920x1080@60Hz hopefully via HDMI.

Doesn't really matter what your card is as long as your driving the display at 1920x1080@60Hz hopefully via HDMI.

You bet, 1920x1080 via DVI to HDMI cable. Now I'm trying to fing the snow spots and all the problems mentioned in the Sony posts. Is there a guide to find out how to look out those defects or maybe my set hasn't got yet being only 1 week old and manufactured february 2008.

You bet, 1920x1080 via DVI to HDMI cable. Now I'm trying to fing the snow spots and all the problems mentioned in the Sony posts. Is there a guide to find out how to look out those defects or maybe my set hasn't got yet being only 1 week old and manufactured february 2008.

This is the method I used on my screens.

Make a few plain colour jpegs (I used microsoft paint) 1920 x 1080 in size. Make a black one and white one and other colours if you wish. Black and white are the best for finding bright/dead pixels. Copy these to a usb drive and plug into the sony's usb port (Left hand side). Use the tv's photo viewer and happy hunting.

My guess based on my own experiences (5 in total) with the current bravias is you'll find at least 1 bright pixel. Any dark or miscoloured pixels you find on the white background, try rubbing with a lint free cloth first to make sure its not a speck of dust. Then if still evident rub a little harder. I got rid of 4 pixel defects on my last screen using this method.

For clouding you should notice it when viewing the black jpeg. Especially since the photo viewer automatically cranks the backlight and contrast up to max. Maybe have the set on for an hour or so first because some clouding/flashlights don't show up till the set gets warm.

Good luck, hope your set is perfect. Let me know your results.

My latest is a Feb 08 and doesn't seem to have any clouding. Haven't checked for pixel defects, and I don't know if I want to because im sick of replacing them. This would be the best set so far (6 in total) and if I notice anything wrong with this one, LX508 here I come.

This is the method I used on my screens.

My latest is a Feb 08 and doesn't seem to have any clouding. Haven't checked for pixel defects, and I don't know if I want to because im sick of replacing them. This would be the best set so far (6 in total) and if I notice anything wrong with this one, LX508 here I come.

I won't be able to check my unit that way, it is a 40w and it doesn't have the side usb, only the service usb at the back.

But I'm not really worried because the main use is as a monitor for my apple G5 system.

I don't play games, just watch movies, and tv.

Guest broone

I have noticed that when I am watching a program from my PVR a clock appears in the bottom right hand corner.

It stay after the PVR is turned off and can be removed by selecting the i+ button.

Does anyone know how to have the clock displayed without having to turn on the PVR ??

I have also found that to get subtitles you need to select text and page p801, are there any other function selected this way and where can you find appropiate page numbers, could this also be a way to turn the clock display on.

Regards,

Des

I have noticed that when I am watching a program from my PVR a clock appears in the bottom right hand corner.

It stay after the PVR is turned off and can be removed by selecting the i+ button.

Does anyone know how to have the clock displayed without having to turn on the PVR ??

I have also found that to get subtitles you need to select text and page p801, are there any other function selected this way and where can you find appropiate page numbers, could this also be a way to turn the clock display on.

Regards,

Des

As far as I'm concerned to display the clock you press i+ button.

Guest broone
As far as I'm concerned to display the clock you press i+ button.

Hi thanks for your reply.

This i+ shows the time along with progam info.

It does not seem to show the small digital clock in the bottom right hand corner that appear with PVR.

Des

I've got a kdl-40w3100 with a very weird problem.

Just recently I noticed that some digital channels had lost their reception or something. Channels which were previously pristine were now ghosted and horizontally drifting. I shrugged and re-scanned them all, thinking it was a reception issue and fixed it all up.

Today I came to play on my Wii, the first time in a long time, which is connected via Component and I had exactly the same issue. Played with the settings, did a Reset All and still no joy. Fired up my old Samsung DVD player also on component which had the same issue again!

I can get crystal clear signals from Digital HD sources and my 360, but Component is stuffed :(

Any ideas as I don't really want to rewire everything.

Thanks in advance :)

Last night I started to use the new DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray to calibrate the SXRD. Doing black level with the pluge, the Sony wouldn't display the outer black vertical bar, and doing the setting as recommended the brightness came to 64, with Picture/contrast 92. My black level was previously set at 53 which looked right. Do any other owners have brightness at anywhere near 64? (This was done with Total Media Theatre BTW)

Also viewing through the RGB cellophane windows, the best setting for colour went from 43 to 49, which also seems high to me.

Last night I started to use the new DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray to calibrate the SXRD. Doing black level with the pluge, the Sony wouldn't display the outer black vertical bar, and doing the setting as recommended the brightness came to 64, with Picture/contrast 92. My black level was previously set at 53 which looked right. Do any other owners have brightness at anywhere near 64? (This was done with Total Media Theatre BTW)

Also viewing through the RGB cellophane windows, the best setting for colour went from 43 to 49, which also seems high to me.

Hmmm, I'd start to think something is being introduce by your HTPC making it not display below black- definitely a source issue. With my HTPC, when I used to use DVE-HD-DVD version displayed all levels including below black no drama. Same is true via XA2 player and more recently DVE-HD Basics via the PS3, all work a treat. I haven't been inclined to go back and re-examine my colour levels since my set was initially calibrated professionally so I can't really comment on that side, but again it does sound a bit odd. My HTPC setting for colour is 2 points above my other sources ie 47 vs 45. There can naturally be variability in colour output by source but I would doubt you'd see much more than 2-3 in it max.

Edited by OzHTfan

Hmmm, I'd start to think something is being introduce by your HTPC making it not display below black- definitely a source issue. With my HTPC, when I used to use DVE-HD-DVD version displayed all levels including below black no drama. Same is true via XA2 player and more recently DVE-HD Basics via the PS3, all work a treat. I haven't been inclined to go back and re-examine my colour levels since my set was initially calibrated professionally so I can't really comment on that side, but again it does sound a bit odd. My HTPC setting for colour is 2 points above my other sources ie 47 vs 45. There can naturally be variability in colour output by source but I would doubt you'd see much more than 2-3 in it max.

Thanks. So the colour could be OK. But do you have any idea what would cause the third vertical bar on the pluge to be missing?

Thanks. So the colour could be OK. But do you have any idea what would cause the third vertical bar on the pluge to be missing?

Not displaying below black is meant to be a fairly common fault amongst stand alone players, but can affect video cards too. I haven't seen it in any ATI or NVIDIA card I've used since I first started with HTPCs quite a while ago now. It can also be a driver related video card problem from my understanding too, but again if you have up to date drivers, I can't see it being the cause.

Not displaying below black is meant to be a fairly common fault amongst stand alone players, but can affect video cards too. I haven't seen it in any ATI or NVIDIA card I've used since I first started with HTPCs quite a while ago now. It can also be a driver related video card problem from my understanding too, but again if you have up to date drivers, I can't see it being the cause.

I'm using the latest 174.74 beta. What are your settings for brightness and picture?

just wanted to say that im now a bravia owner.

just bought a 52" x series bravia. man these things look sweet.

managed to get it for $4510 delivered which includes 5 years extended warranty

oh plus the $300 cash back taking it down to $4210

comes on friday, now just gotta find a decent stand for it. anything i should know about the tv, tweaked settings or anything?

just wanted to say that im now a bravia owner.

just bought a 52" x series bravia. man these things look sweet.

managed to get it for $4510 delivered which includes 5 years extended warranty

oh plus the $300 cash back taking it down to $4210

comes on friday, now just gotta find a decent stand for it. anything i should know about the tv, tweaked settings or anything?

Nice work! :)

My only recommendation is to switch "Picture" to standard mode and then turn the backlight down a couple of notches. B)

I'm using the latest 174.74 beta. What are your settings for brightness and picture?

I'm using 169.25 Nvidia. You are obviously using a 9xxx series card which I can 't comment on as I'm still using an 8800GTS 320MB. but I wouldn't find it hard to believe there could be issues with the drivers for a very new series card, wouldn't be the first time it's happened. My advice would be to trawl the AVSForum HTPC section for discussion of these drivers, you'll quickly find out if there are any issues being flagged such as not displaying below black.

My HTPC settings are Colour 49, Bri 53 Contrast 80 as just checked. I was quoting original post cal settings earlier and I guess that I had written down, so I must have since used DVE with HTPC again to check colour. Ironically we have the same results, so I definitely wouldn't be too concerned there. I watch material many times a week with those settings and am more than happy with them.

Edited by OzHTfan

That sounds like black level expansion from 16 to 0 on the 0-255 greyscale. I had the same problem with my old ATI X800GTO card with high def content and had to change brightness from 53 to 66 to compensate. I'm using Nvidia driver 158.24 with the 8600GTS and do not have this problem with any video content. I have had verious problems with later driver versions although I can't recall specifically whether this was one of them.

Another test is to look at the black bars on film aspect ratio HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content. At what brightness setting do these black bars start to turn grey ?

My colour setting from the RGB cellophane windows was 50 and this too was somewhat higher than what others were using. I did find the colour on some material looked oversaturated at 50 so I have since reduced it to 45.

What you are observing is levels expansion, expanding video levels (16-235) to PC levels 0-255) is common theses days with both nVidia and ATI drivers. It’s actually a good idea as you can use a common display calibration for both video and desktop applications.

If you don’t expand you have to have different display calibration for video and desktop applications.

Not displaying “below black” or “above white” should not be seen as a defect, as you are not supposed to have the display calibrated to show anything “below black” or “above white” anyway.

Displaying above white does not cause problems other then limiting the contrast ratio of the SXRD but displaying below black does, it will makes your blacks grey and give you a washed out picture.

I am using 174.74 beta divers on my 8800 GTS and Brightness on the SXRD is set to 60. Video level 16 and anything lower look the same (maximum black).

Colour is set to 44 and all video driver picture controls are at default with the exception of Gamma, which is lowered to around 25 with custom settings for Red, Green and Blue. Blue is set lower then the rest.

Be aware that the video renderer and player application you are using can influence results. ATI cards even alter their output for SD and HD which complicates things further and is a pain.