Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

So does anyone who has this TV watch any Sport on this such as the AFL or preferably Football? I watch a lot of the English Premier League and Champions League and am wondering how this TV performs with this?

As it is an LCD I am really concerned about the motion on these and am looking at either getting the 46x3100 or the Pio 508XDA this weekend.

Anyone help!!!

Nice work! :)

My only recommendation is to switch "Picture" to standard mode and then turn the backlight down a couple of notches. B)

will do, im sure i'll have to stuff around with the settings for a while to find a perfect balance. my mate has the 46inch version. and he spent quite some time getting all the settings just right.

So does anyone who has this TV watch any Sport on this such as the AFL or preferably Football? I watch a lot of the English Premier League and Champions League and am wondering how this TV performs with this?

As it is an LCD I am really concerned about the motion on these and am looking at either getting the 46x3100 or the Pio 508XDA this weekend.

Anyone help!!!

well if you dont end up buying this weekend, i'll tell you how the footy and soccer looks on my 52x3100 =)

Thanks jaydee s.

I have the sneaky suspicion though I will be better off with the Pio!

will do, im sure i'll have to stuff around with the settings for a while to find a perfect balance. my mate has the 46inch version. and he spent quite some time getting all the settings just right.

well if you dont end up buying this weekend, i'll tell you how the footy and soccer looks on my 52x3100 =)

That sounds like black level expansion from 16 to 0 on the 0-255 greyscale. I had the same problem with my old ATI X800GTO card with high def content and had to change brightness from 53 to 66 to compensate. I'm using Nvidia driver 158.24 with the 8600GTS and do not have this problem with any video content. I have had verious problems with later driver versions although I can't recall specifically whether this was one of them.

Another test is to look at the black bars on film aspect ratio HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content. At what brightness setting do these black bars start to turn grey

You mean while watching something with for example 2.35:1 AR to check at what stage the black bars above and below turn grey?

It's so frustrating not being able to get a full calibration done in the wilds of NE Victoria which has some of the best food and wine in the country.

Edited by pietro

Got a 46" X series the other day (KDL46X3100). Have only played one DVD over component output so far and the quality was good but I expected better. Could be the DVD itself but I also hadn't played with the settings yet so I can't judge yet. That said, I left the motion flow feature on "standard" as per some advice from some posts here, and it is definitely one of the TV's strongest points. Blew me away.

Haven't got a decent enough FTA aerial signal to try HD yet. Was wondering, when I play the DVD, it says "576p" for the resolution. Is an upscaling DVD player required to get this to upscale to 1080? I thought the answer would've been "yes" but I've read elsewhere on these forums that there's no need for an upscaling DVD player as 'good TVs' should do upscaling as well. How can this be achieved on the KDL46X3100 via the TV settings (without upgrading the DVD player)? Or do I need to use HDMI for that for starters?

Edited by tch

You mean while watching something with for example 2.35:1 AR to check at what stage the black bars above and below turn grey?

Yes. The changes are very subtle so it is best done in dark room on a dimly lit video scene once your eyes have adjusted to the darkness.

I'm using 169.25 Nvidia. You are obviously using a 9xxx series card which I can 't comment on as I'm still using an 8800GTS 320MB. but I wouldn't find it hard to believe there could be issues with the drivers for a very new series card, wouldn't be the first time it's happened. My advice would be to trawl the AVSForum HTPC section for discussion of these drivers, you'll quickly find out if there are any issues being flagged such as not displaying below black.

I just checked again today re the 174 beta drivers since Owen mentioned he was using them on his 8800GTS and realised I'd missed that they are actually listed further down on the page, strange that I missed them...So I have to correct my assumption that you'd probably be using a 9xxx series card. Based on Owen's feedback I would be very surprised if that driver was to blame. I will now move my machine up to 174 and check out this recent beta.

In looking at my own colour subjectively, at my current level of 49, things can get a tad oversaturated in the reds at times, so I may be tempted to creep it back towards my initial setting of 47 or even perhaps slightly lower. I also like to review settings every once in a while.

Haven't got a decent enough FTA aerial signal to try HD yet. Was wondering, when I play the DVD, it says "576p" for the resolution. Is an upscaling DVD player required to get this to upscale to 1080? I thought the answer would've been "yes" but I've read elsewhere on these forums that there's no need for an upscaling DVD player as 'good TVs' should do upscaling as well. How can this be achieved on the KDL46X3100 via the TV settings (without upgrading the DVD player)? Or do I need to use HDMI for that for starters?

Hi tch,

Congratulations on your purchase!

I've got the W model but I believe the upscaling works similar to the X.

It doesn't do a great job upscaling a DVD player outputting 576p. I believe you need a decent upscaling player to do it's own upscaling first before feeding the signal into the TV.

There's a lot of standalone DVD players which upscale DVDs to 1080p over HDMI but this alone doesn't guarantee the picture will be any good - it all depends on the upscaling chipset they use.

I've got a a PS3 which does a pretty good job, and the Toshiba EP10 even better. Then there's the Toshiba XE1 which which blows people away. There's also OPPO which I don't know much about but might be OK.

Standalone Blu-ray players seemed to have mixed abilities depending on the player ie I think the Sharp one is not great. Not sure about the others. Hunt around for info.

Hope that helps!

Edited by ponlesabor

Got a 46" X series the other day (KDL46X3100). Have only played one DVD over component output so far and the quality was good but I expected better. Could be the DVD itself but I also hadn't played with the settings yet so I can't judge yet. That said, I left the motion flow feature on "standard" as per some advice from some posts here, and it is definitely one of the TV's strongest points. Blew me away.

yeah i was also wondering this. we have well over 300 dvd's the sony guy tried to sell us a dvd upscaler for $160 but i shrugged him off as i just wanted the tv right now lol.

anyone know if the xbox 360 upscales dvd's?? or if i can use my standard dvd player. or should i upgrade to a sony hdmi dvd player?? otherwise i'll just let everything be.. im just worried that on a 52" screen that the quality with look very sub par =S

i'll find out friday when my tv arrives i suppose =S

cheers

yeah i was also wondering this. we have well over 300 dvd's the sony guy tried to sell us a dvd upscaler for $160 but i shrugged him off as i just wanted the tv right now lol.
I wouldn't get a Sony DVD player for this particular purpose from my research. Have done a bit of loooking around and am looking at getting one of those Oppo players or the Pioneer DV-600 as I want an player that upscales that will also play divx with USB drives/sticks until I spring for Blu-ray later on. Like I said in my original post, I thought the TV would do some upscaling by itself but that notion was from a review for a Denon player that was talking broadly about upscaling with TVs in general. However, I'll have to go for a DVD player that does upscaling with a HDMI connection into the Bravia. The Bravia allows you to use the HDMI video only as I want to use my amp/speakers for the audio through digital co-ax like I have previously as my amp doesn't support HDMI.
anyone know if the xbox 360 upscales dvd's?? or if i can use my standard dvd player. or should i upgrade to a sony hdmi dvd player?? otherwise i'll just let everything be.. im just worried that on a 52" screen that the quality with look very sub par =S
I don't have a console but I think this should answer your question even though it's an old link:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2006/09/20/xbox-...dvds-and-games/

anyone know if the xbox 360 upscales dvd's??

It does (and it sounds attractive on paper) but IMHO it's pretty average and only marginally better than my LG outputting 576 via component.

I'd be wary of the Sony DVD player doing anything special either. A lot of those players claim to output to 1080p over HDMI but this is just marketing spiel and they fail to tell the consumer that the upscaling engine is pretty ordinary.

After about 9 months of wanting a new tv and 3 months of searching, I purchase a Bravia 46 inch X series on the weekend and it should arrive tomorrow! Using the posts on this site and some reviews, I narrowed the choice to between a Bravia and a Pioneer 508DXA. In the end, I just had to "trust my eyes" and went with the tv I was more often then not drawn to i.e. more often than not I preferred the Sony maybe 70% of the time. I know it's not 100% but with 2 great tvs I guess not many people would always prefer one or the other.

I do have one question which may be best asked elsewhere. I was wondering what most people do in terms of 'splitting' the incoming antenna signal. I currently have an Arion SD PVR and the antenna goes straight to it. I still want to use the PVR (not compelled to go for an HD PVR yet and don't have the cash either!) but would like to take advantage of the HD tuner when watching tv directly. I assume that I need some sort of splitter to achieve this? Or is it not worth it because the signal degrades?

If anyone else has an SD PVR and an HD tv can they let me know what they do?

Just wondering if any Bravia owners can assist me. I cannot view pictures through the USB port on the left of panel. i plug in the digital camera, switch it on, select 'pictures' from the TV menu and get the message about not recognising the USB connection. I tried two different cables just in case but no go. The manual is useless.

Any suggestions? :(

Just wondering if any Bravia owners can assist me. I cannot view pictures through the USB port on the left of panel. i plug in the digital camera, switch it on, select 'pictures' from the TV menu and get the message about not recognising the USB connection. I tried two different cables just in case but no go. The manual is useless.

Any suggestions? :(

i'll try mine when i get home.

from what i know though, is that the pictures have to be jpg images im pretty sure.

i'll try the following tonight

standard usb 2.0 stick

2.5" self powered usb drive

3.5" powered usb drive.

we'll see what happens

After about 9 months of wanting a new tv and 3 months of searching, I purchase a Bravia 46 inch X series on the weekend and it should arrive tomorrow! Using the posts on this site and some reviews, I narrowed the choice to between a Bravia and a Pioneer 508DXA. In the end, I just had to "trust my eyes" and went with the tv I was more often then not drawn to i.e. more often than not I preferred the Sony maybe 70% of the time. I know it's not 100% but with 2 great tvs I guess not many people would always prefer one or the other.

I do have one question which may be best asked elsewhere. I was wondering what most people do in terms of 'splitting' the incoming antenna signal. I currently have an Arion SD PVR and the antenna goes straight to it. I still want to use the PVR (not compelled to go for an HD PVR yet and don't have the cash either!) but would like to take advantage of the HD tuner when watching tv directly. I assume that I need some sort of splitter to achieve this? Or is it not worth it because the signal degrades?

If anyone else has an SD PVR and an HD tv can they let me know what they do?

Hi, Yep buy a splitter if your reception is reasonable I use all f-type connections with rg6 cable I live 200ks away from Adelaide with a 60ft tower and my set up goes - From antena to 3 way splitter which feeds 1- tv 2- pvr 3- to another 4way splitter which feeds 3 bedrooms and my amp (for fm) all my tv's have good reception.

Edited by Unleashed

Hi there -

I received my 46x today! Was very excited...although now...things aren't quite as exciting!

Firstly, I'm not so great with things technical..

Analogue TV picture quality - not Fabulous, ok - can live with that

Digital Picture quality - acceptable, except there's a little pixalation (i don't think I spelled it right) - but not even 100% sharp - it would be great if this could be fixed!

BUT the biggest disappointment is the quality of DVD's and the picture quality when watching through the Sony DVD player which I also purchased...

What can I do to improve the picture quality?

What can I do to improve the picture quality?

Is it an upscaling DVD player?

The problem with big tvs and DVD's is there just isn't enough picture quality on a dvd. It's like taking a photo with a 1 megapixel camera and then complaining it looks bad when displayed full screen on a 24" monitor.

The only way to make DVD look better is with a good upscaler.

Pixelation on Digital TV is probably poor reception.

The DVD model is the Sony - RDRHXD870 - I'm not sure if can be upscaled or not..

What does upscaling involve?

Is it an upscaling DVD player?

The problem with big tvs and DVD's is there just isn't enough picture quality on a dvd. It's like taking a photo with a 1 megapixel camera and then complaining it looks bad when displayed full screen on a 24" monitor.

The only way to make DVD look better is with a good upscaler.

Pixelation on Digital TV is probably poor reception.

Pixelation on broadcast TV is probably due to poor signal reception. Improving your aerial installation, downleads etc is likely to be a strong possibility for improvement. A masthead amplifier even.

As to the player, what model is it? That may give others some idea what to suggest. Also how is it conected to the 46X - - - is it via composite video, S-Video, Component or HDMI/DVI etc etc. These factors may have a huge impact on the quality you can view