Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Thanks bigway, you're a lifesaver! Don't eorry though, I'm just getting the set up right for my Dad and he needs to record foxtel programs on to dvd and the quality of those recording is not a major issue. All the imputs will be via HDMI, we'll be setting up blu-ray through a ps3 via hdmi and running our existing dvd player through hdmi and eventually HD fox. The outdated video is just for output. I do live in Sydney so if I have any trouble when we make the purchase I may take you up on your generous offer to help out (always nice to meet other enthusiasts in the flesh anyway!)

Thanks again!

I have been studying this tv obsesivly for the past 3 weeks since i bought it. there is alot to learn about this tv and alot it can do.

More than happy to come and give you a hand.

Run the ps3 through optical audio to a avreceiver and run foxtel via component to your tv until foxtel gets hdmi.

It is a brilliant tv but you really need to tweak all the settings for every different input.

The quality of watching yellow plug Video from foxtel on the x series full hd is like watching a blurry tvshow. It is terrible, however if you are only recordign to dvd then it should be alrgiht if played on a old tv. Maybe you would do better with foxtel iq for an extra $10 a month. Foxtel really is terrible on this tv when run via video, i mean real bad. Make sure you run it to the tv with component.

That list i just looked over and is a bit different.

Here is what you have.....

you have 3 lots of video in and 2 sets of composite in and 3 sets of hdmi.

You have 1 set for OUT that is RED, WHITE and YELLOW (video) as well as another Red and white out.

The thing is, you want to use composite. So from your foxtel you use a scart to COMPOSITE lead for the BEST quality. alot better than video, these are the blue, green and red 'rca's.

Plug the scart into the foxtel and then the composite into the tv.. (or the yellow video if you really want to).

Then plug the VIDEO out (Y,W,R) into the dvdr or vcr.

or you can get hdmi leads if your dvd has hdmi and get the best quality possible. Foxtel will have hdmi inputs/outputs in june.

SCART to component (Red Green Blue) would give you best PQ if you have the UEC 1000 or PACE 420 foxtel STB.

Hi guys

I have a question about ghosting i have the 40w3100 and a ps3 and for the most part the telly is great but occasionally some sd dvd upscaled and BDs suffer from ghosting and would like to know why this is only happening with some discs and not others.

Edited by Fleminator

Hi guys

I have a question about ghosting i have the 40w3100 and a ps3 and for the most part the telly is great but occasionally some sd dvd upscaled and BDs suffer from ghosting and would like to know why this is only happening with some discs and not others.

What is the manufacturer date? Also, it only has the 50hz and not the 100hz motion flow.

However i would suggest you have ghosting due to the settings that you have it on. Do you have the game text mode on when playing PS3? You should.

if it a 2008 model i would suggest you fix your settings.

What is the manufacturer date? Also, it only has the 50hz and not the 100hz motion flow.

However i would suggest you have ghosting due to the settings that you have it on. Do you have the game text mode on when playing PS3? You should.

if it a 2008 model i would suggest you fix your settings.

I am mainly talking about movies, some are fine, and some ghost, and i don't know why, do you really think it could be my settings and if so could you recommend some that might help.

cheers.

I am mainly talking about movies, some are fine, and some ghost, and i don't know why, do you really think it could be my settings and if so could you recommend some that might help.

cheers.

YEah, could be your settings.

I will find you a thread later with good settings but for now, turn the power save on low, turn the backlight right down, turn auto cinema driver on auto2 and turn motion enhancer on standard.

Turn all the pictures setting down to around the 87, brightness and colour to about 50 or 51/52 and make sure game text mode is off when not playing games.

If your setting are already something like that then not much else to do. Power saver on low is essential i believe.

Cinema driver, Auto 2 is the way the movie has been made and intended for you to watch, if you have it on auto 1 then that will probably be where your ghosting is come from.

Try all the seting i gavre you had once and let me know if it is any better. these are just rough settings but they are pretty close to goo.

When playing a game turn on the game text mode if you have it, turn the back light up and the 'picture' to about 97.

let me know how they go, i will find you some better settings after a meal mate.

YEah, could be your settings.

I will find you a thread later with good settings but for now, turn the power save on low, turn the backlight right down, turn auto cinema driver on auto2 and turn motion enhancer on standard.

Turn all the pictures setting down to around the 87, brightness and colour to about 50 or 51/52 and make sure game text mode is off when not playing games.

If your setting are already something like that then not much else to do. Power saver on low is essential i believe.

Cinema driver, Auto 2 is the way the movie has been made and intended for you to watch, if you have it on auto 1 then that will probably be where your ghosting is come from.

Try all the seting i gavre you had once and let me know if it is any better. these are just rough settings but they are pretty close to goo.

When playing a game turn on the game text mode if you have it, turn the back light up and the 'picture' to about 97.

let me know how they go, i will find you some better settings after a meal mate.

Thank's for the advice, will try them now, and tell you how i go.

cheers.

Last week in NSW, our daylight saving period didn't end as it previously has. Our 60" showed the wrong time, as if DST had ended. I thought "it'll be ok after next weekend", but by Tuesday it had been corrected. Yesterday when DST did end, the TV adjusted automatically. Does anyone know how did the time get corrected when it was wrong for a couple of days? Is it possible to broadcast something like a patch?

Edited by OzyDave

Last week in NSW, our daylight saving period didn't end as it previously has. Our 60" showed the wrong time, as if DST had ended. I thought "it'll be ok after next weekend", but by Tuesday it had been corrected. Yesterday when DST did end, the TV adjusted automatically. Does anyone know how did the time get corrected when it was wrong for a couple of days? Is it possible to broadcast something like a patch?

My guess is the set is reading it off the info in the DTV stream via it's internal tuner. I'm more than certain if I check my 70", not that I worry about it knowing the time, it won't have changed at all since I got it (DST at the time) as there is no DTV tuner.

Just a quick question.

What's the quality of Foxtel like on a 40" X or XBR Series LCD?

Thanks.

If it looks anything like what i've seen in Harvey Norman showrooms, it's uber crap. Hopefully it's not that bad in a home though.

Just a quick question.

What's the quality of Foxtel like on a 40" X or XBR Series LCD?

Thanks.

IT SUCKS BALLS. even bought component cables... too bad only a few channels go 576i.. even so... uber crap

so i moved the foxtel to the larger living room whcih also is 1080p plasma.. uber crap... foxtel is awesome

Edited by dleeee

Hi,

I just bought a KDL40D3100 as a spare TV while Extended Warrenty (ICFirth) work out what they are going to do about my Samsung SP61L2H, its been 2 months now... long story.

Anyway can some one please explain to me how the DTV PIP works on the 40D? I can get it to display a DVD and split the screen to show DVD and DTV and can change the DTV channels in this split screan mode no problems.... But if I am viewing DTV, say channel 2, when I turn on PIP it only lists channles in the same spectrum(?) ie. eg. Channel 20. Is this the way its supposed to work or can the DTV PIP list be populated with all channels somehow? Also can the position of the or size of the PIP window be changed?

Thanks for your help.

Juan

Just an observation that I have made. I have a Bravia 46X and when viewing Prime (in Canberra) either through the TV tuner or Toppy SD STB I have discovered a 'cluster' of pixels (about the size of a 10 cent piece) that get 'lazy' when certain colours are displayed (green mostly). This is really noticeable and annoying on some scenes. They disappear when a HD channel is selected though. Any ideas? is it Primes low bitrate? It's only with Prime and the 'cluster' is in the same spot.

Is it a TV fault as they 'behave' when in HD.

Do I contact SONY?

Tv was purchased Dec last year.

Hi

I bought a KDL40W3100, was able to get it running no problems, my main reason I got it is to use it as a computer monitor, I have a pc and an apple, both computers display 1900x1080, my only worry is that I had been using a Dell 24'' and I was used to the ability to display very small print, with the Sony everything seems soooooo big, is that normal? or will I be able to reduce the fonts? Apart from that the whole thing is amazing, just got a bit of headache trying to adjust myself to this big thing.

So, I've noticed quite a few folks have the KDL40D3100, I'm thinking of buying one of these at the moment, and just concerned about whether I should spend the extra to get full HD, or for that matter, lose the 100Mhz feature and get a 40 inch Samsung full HD TV for about the same price.

Not sure if I'm really going to be able to tell the difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p though on a 40 inch screen? Anyone got any comments about this or generally on the quality of the 40d3100? I read one bad comment on the net about "fuzzy" images on this TV???

I'm planning on using it mostly for Movies and TV, and a PS3 and a Wii, but also in the future will hook my PC up to it, so basically I want it to be a good all round TV.

All the internet reviews of this model are the 32 inch and not surprisingly they say there is no point in full HD at this size, but no mention of the 40 inch in these reviews.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Hi

I bought a KDL40W3100, was able to get it running no problems, my main reason I got it is to use it as a computer monitor, I have a pc and an apple, both computers display 1900x1080, my only worry is that I had been using a Dell 24'' and I was used to the ability to display very small print, with the Sony everything seems soooooo big, is that normal? or will I be able to reduce the fonts? Apart from that the whole thing is amazing, just got a bit of headache trying to adjust myself to this big thing.

How much did you pay, and was it in Sydney?

As for the screen being too big, get yourself a USB extension cable or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, then sit back!

I bought it at David Jones Market street(Syd) paid 2200 and got a $ 150 cash back from Sony, original price was 2600, the salesman took the price down without being asked by me. At the moment I'm using it and getting used to it, the same happened when I bought my 24'' Dell monitor.

It will be a matter of being used to it.

JB Hifi sub contract out delivery, I got a call on the day (early morning say it will be there in the PM) and then the driver called 30 minutes before he rocked up. JB Hifi said two guys would deliver it so it didn't matter I was in a 3rd story apartment with no elevator.

Later that afternoon I got a knock on my door and open it to find a sweaty delivery guy with my brand new 46X3100 on a trolley (without the triple wheel setup for going up stairs), he promptly wheeled it into the apartment and gently put it down and ensure it was right way up. He asked me to sign for it and I asked if he could help me get it out of the box (I live on my own) and wait while I do a quick once over. He said he was just a delivery guy and couldn't wait around as he other deliveries to do, he also commented if there was anything wrong with the TV another driver would have to come and pick it up after JB had ok'd it all.

I wasn't too impressed with this, but couldn't do much about it apart from not accept delivery (screw that).

I managed to get the box open myself that day and pry the 46X3100 out enough to power it up and give it a test run, including connecting up a PC via HDMI to test for dead pixels.

Luckily the TV was 100% defect free and none the worse for its journey up the stairs.

I think you should be asking for a home installation rather than home delivery if you require someone to be present while its removed from its box (a 2 person job) and then quality tested.

I am not sure if Sony Central offer this service but i'd assume they charge extra for it, but it might be worth it for peace of mind.

I certainly wouldn't want to be transporting around a TV like the 46X3100 in the back of a car like I know some have done.

I dread if anything goes wrong with the TV or when I next have to move (renting) as moving the TV will be an ordeal ;)

Hi, reading your post and would like to know what sort of video card you got and also, how does the small print look in your tv? I got the 40w full HD, but the text looks too big for my liking, after using a 24'' Dell, I'm used to the small and clear print.

Thank you.

Hi, reading your post and would like to know what sort of video card you got and also, how does the small print look in your tv? I got the 40w full HD, but the text looks too big for my liking, after using a 24'' Dell, I'm used to the small and clear print.

Thank you.

Hmm how close are you sitting to the screen....you do realise you're meant to move 2-3m away right....(i use my 40X as a monitor ie. now) and proportion-wise its great - you just need to be sitting at an optimal distance, unless you wish to go blind.