High resolution vs Vinyl

Guest The Fresh Prince

IMO, This is what is part of the magic about vinyl and how it generally sounds better than CD's. The music on the LP is in analog and the cartridge is infinite sampling when converting the spiral record groove into an electrical signal.

Any digital to analog conversion is done in the mastering studio where it belongs - the rest is analog.

CD's are not. the Digital to analog conversion is done at you home and it does not do it that well if you take listening and how it sounds into account. Why is there so much difference in the sound of digital to analog convertors if digital was perfect ?

The cartridge is not 'infinite sampling', in fact its not sampling at all. What it is doing is generating a continuous electrical signal from the vibrations of a small sliver of cystal being dragged along a groove in a piece of vinyl.

Digital is not perfect, of course, and neither is vinyl. If vinyl is perfect then why is there so much difference in the sound produced by different cartridges? Why do different platters or tonearms make a difference? Same reason as DACs make a difference in digital reproduction. Differences in design, materials and build quality in products all contribute to the way a piece of equipment affects the sound, with analog just as with digital.

Vinyl still rules

You know, I think its about time some people stopped thinking of all this as some sort of silly competition between vinyl and digital. Everyone has their preferences, but all this oneupmanship is about as interesting as people chanting Ford or Holden.

The cartridge is not 'infinite sampling'

Yeap, so true. I find it bewildering that anyone even believes that. Maybe they are extracting the urine ??

all this oneupmanship is about as interesting as people chanting Ford or Holden.

I agree. Nobody should chant for Ford :)

Look at.the reactions to the digital record synthesiser. Turntable for one went into coniptions.

WTF Drizt?. All I said was some moron with too much time on his hands. Then you do your normal word twist game and accuse me of calling the OP who posted the digital record synthesiser a moron and ask for an apology. Then act all innocent as if you don't understand what I meant in the first place.

I had to google what coniptions meant, as it is not the spelling of conniptions - but you allready knew that.

coniptions - To get wicked mad pissed like a crazy guy on steroids who just stubbed his toe or When a person goes into a fit of rage, such as a spaz attack.

And who is the one doing all the name calling? :)

How do you market the placebo effect prof ?

My honest answer is people believe what they want to believe.

Truth is secondary to personal opinion.

It would be more accurate to say that some people believe what they want to believe, maybe you are speaking from personal experience here mate?

Although, some people are much more objective, and don't get suckered in by unrealistic or predetermined expectations.

WTF Drizt?. All I said was some moron with too much time on his hands. Then you do your normal word twist game and accuse me of calling the OP who posted the digital record synthesiser a moron and ask for an apology. Then act all innocent as if you don't understand what I meant in the first place.

I had to google what coniptions meant, as it is not the spelling of conniptions - but you allready knew that.

coniptions - To get wicked mad pissed like a crazy guy on steroids who just stubbed his toe or When a person goes into a fit of rage, such as a spaz attack.

And who is the one doing all the name calling? :)

lol, so you were having conniptions :) Sorry I missed an 'n'. Are you just noticing now that I'm not the best spelar ?? :)

hehehe... and my point exactly about the record synethesiser..... you called the guy a moron!!!!!!!!!!! prof.... QED ??????

EDIT: I don't play word twisting games. Some people just say something then back track at a million miles an hour when they realise what they said doesn't make any sense. That is not my fault.

Edited by Drizt

It would be more accurate to say that some people believe what they want to believe, maybe you are speaking from personal experience here mate?

Although, some people are much more objective, and don't get suckered in by unrealistic or predetermined expectations.

wait for it..... prove it :)

You do know what 'objective' means, yeah?

Edited by Drizt

The cartridge is not 'infinite sampling', in fact its not sampling at all. What it is doing is generating a continuous electrical signal from the vibrations of a small sliver of cystal being dragged along a groove in a piece of vinyl.

Digital is not perfect, of course, and neither is vinyl. If vinyl is perfect then why is there so much difference in the sound produced by different cartridges? Why do different platters or tonearms make a difference? Same reason as DACs make a difference in digital reproduction. Differences in design, materials and build quality in products all contribute to the way a piece of equipment affects the sound, with analog just as with digital.

You know, I think its about time some people stopped thinking of all this as some sort of silly competition between vinyl and digital. Everyone has their preferences, but all this oneupmanship is about as interesting as people chanting Ford or Holden.

Bee, I only used infinite sampling as the digital boys would notice it. Your description is a lot better - Continous - I like that :)

As you know from following any football team, shouting out a good C'mon to your team, always gets a reaction from the apposing team. It has nothing to do with better or worse. All a large dose of fun.

In the overall scheme of things, if owning a ipod encourages one to go out and buy every increasing amounts of new music - that can only be good.

I just hope everyone's individual choices on the source encurages them to buy more new music:thumb:

cheers

lol, so you were having conniptions :) Sorry I missed an 'n'. Are you just noticing now that I'm not the best spelar ?? :)

hehehe... and my point exactly about the record synethesiser..... you called the guy a moron!!!!!!!!!!! prof.... QED ??????

EDIT: I don't play word twisting games. Some people just say something then back track at a million miles an hour when they realise what they said doesn't make any sense. That is not my fault.

that is the whole point. You did not miss an "n"

I called what guy a moron? - some guy nobody knows who wasted his time inventing the record scratcher program of whatever. What did he think of that Drizt? did you ask him?

and no I did not have conniptions - far from it

that is the whole point. You did not miss an "n"

I called what guy a moron? - some guy nobody knows who wasted his time inventing the record scratcher program of whatever. What did he think of that Drizt? did you ask him?

and no I did not have conniptions - far from it

lol.... this is awesome.

wait for it..... prove it :)

You do know what 'objective' means, yeah?

And what you are doing by saying that others believe what they want to believe, is second guessing what is happening inside their heads.

That's not healthy dude!

You can only know for sure what is happening in ya' own head, to believe otherwise is akin to thinking you can read minds!

And what you are doing by saying that others believe what they want to believe, is second guessing what is happening inside their heads.

That's not healthy dude!

You can only know for sure what is happening in ya' own head, to believe otherwise is akin to thinking you can read minds!

Have you been talking with treblid? That post does not make any sense.

You know Arg, I've been thinking the exact same thing lately but I'm trying to change, I really am, but it's hard mate. Perhaps a really good first step would be in trying to understand something new like this "controlled listening" stuff. Perhaps if you took the time to explain it further it might just be the impetus I need to set me on the path to becoming someone that's open to new ideas and eventually even a better person.

I know this was sarcastically written, but experience with KenTripp has proven that I'll be nailed to the wall for weeks if I don't answer it as if seriously written. So, my answer is, do some research on 'controlled experiments' and apply it to listening experiments for the purpose of comparing hifi components.