High resolution vs Vinyl

Guest The Fresh Prince

Guest The Fresh Prince

Just wondering whether anyone has compared high res with vinyl and what people think.

Apologies if this thread already exists. Please provide a link, if this is so.

Guest The Fresh Prince
Are you asking for personal preferences here?

Just a little hard to link such a thing...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. By "link" I meant "hyperlink" to the appropriate thread.

Yes, I'm just looking for personal preferences. Interested to see if other peoples finding s are similar to my own

OK, I prefer vinyl, but I do use digital for convenience if I'm up and about constantly and not critically listening (getting into the groove).

I don't bother with hi-res though.

No links, just my preference :)

Guest The Fresh Prince

Thanks 'fone.

Wondering of anyone else has any experience they want to share specifically relating to High Res (rather than CD)?

The reason I ask is I have recently got into downloading albums from HD tracks. I was fairly sure that these would sound better, or get close to vinyl. This evening I have been comparing Rumours on High Res compared to the remastered vinyl Rumours (33.3). To my surprise, vinyl still rules the roost to my ears and in my system.

It's no that high res is bad, it's just so different (on this particular recording. I plan to try others)

Edited by teddyboy

Guest The Fresh Prince
many members have both and enjoy both.

Well said. I certainly enjoy both, but I'm amazed at how different they sound

Re:Hi-res

I did do some up-sampling of redbook files to 64bit float/382Hz or what ever the max with Wavelab 6 is, and while many albums showed little or no difference (some sounded worse).

One that did get better and better with higher encoding, and that was Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" this album was very special after re-encoding.

I didn't try Rumors.

I'm not surprised with your findings teddyboy, for myself the vinyl sound has some qualities that are just not apparent with digital of any form, from my experience.

Guest The Fresh Prince
Re:Hi-res

I did do some up-sampling of redbook files to 64bit float/382Hz or what ever the max with Wavelab 6 is, and while many albums showed little or no difference (some sounded worse).

One that did get better and better with higher encoding, and that was Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" this album was very special after re-encoding.

I didn't try Rumors.

I'm not surprised with your findings teddyboy, for myself the vinyl sound has some qualities that are just not apparent with digital of any form, from my experience.

Most of the high res files I have downloaded are 24 bit/96 kHz. (I have no idea what that actually means, but thought it might be useful for the purposes of this discussion).

These have been ripped to DVD. MAX was used to convert to Wav.

The DVD has then been played in my PerfectWave transport

G'day,

Just wondering whether anyone has compared high res with vinyl and what people think.

I've posted this before, but Doug Sax, who has engineered and mastered lots of records including Pink Floyd and direct-to-disc Sheffield Labs LPs, mentioned the following in an interview recently:

Beyond the LP what do you see?

The other thing I hope takes off is high-resolution music on Blu-ray. You can put non-compressed 24-bit/192kHz audio surround or two channel
on it, and I’m hoping that’s where it goes. Even though the LP is a technology I’m conversant and feel totally comfortable with, it’s pathetic that the best thing you can buy in 2010 is an LP—an artifact from the 1960s. For me, if I could go home and listen to a disc in 192kHz the way I hear it in the studio, you could keep your LPs.

See this interview [warning: link to 25Mb PDF file].

Normally I would not get into vinyl-vs-digital debates but when someone like Doug Sax with 40+ years of vinyl experience starts preferring hi-res digital then I get interested.

--Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

After hearing classical musicians play and rehearse all morning once, I then went home and listened to vinyl and high res recordings; I find vinyl moves me emotionally almost as much as live and digital sounds more like the instruments do in real life. Thus I prefer vinyl.

One of the reasons I got a Linn DS was to explore high res recordings. For me the best way to describe them is as a completely different source, much closer to vinyl in calibre than CD.

Upsampling a CD to high resolution won't make any difference, it is like taking a 20 megapixel picture of a chess board, you still end up with an 8x8 image. Detail lost is detail lost.

What does 24bit/96kHz mean. The khz is the frequency of the sampling done, how many times a second you take the analogue sound and take a sample at one point in time to be remembered as a part of the digital recording, the higher khz the better. The bit number is how detailed the number is, 16 bit means the voltage is remembered as a number between 0 and 65,000 whereas 24 bit is 50% more detailed, the sound is remembered as a number between 0 and 16,000,000.

Upsampling a CD to high resolution won't make any difference, it is like taking a 20 megapixel picture of a chess board, you still end up with an 8x8 image. Detail lost is detail lost.

I have compared standard 44.1 to 192 upsampled many times on many DAC's and can hear clear and beneficial differences even between different upsamplers. A guy I know got a hold of some gear that does upsampling to 384 and he thinks it sounds a good deal better again. Chord have investigated this and believe gains can be made upsampling into the MHz region:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/chord-dac-technology.asp

There are technical reasons for this eg in a NOS DAC you are moving digital hash from conversion to way outside the audio band which can cause inter-modulation effects even though you can not hear that high. In DACs that do over-sampling (a non sophisticated form of up-sampling) you get the benefit of the better up-sampling algorithms.

Its not magic or anything like that its just that the technicalities of this are quite subtle which is why IMHO it is wise to base views on listening rather than simplistic technical analysis.

As for High-Res vs Vinyl I have not done that comparison for ages but what people I trust who have done it tell me is - yes Vinyl is better - but not the el cheapo variety - you have to spend a substantial sum - well over $10K - one guy mentioned they did the comparison with a $100K rig. Also I recently had a quick listen to a good vinyl rig about the same price as my DAC (around 4K) and I would say my DAC is better but the sound was different enough for me to also say it is probably a personal preference sort of thing.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

I've posted this before, but Doug Sax, who has engineered and mastered lots of records including Pink Floyd and direct-to-disc Sheffield Labs LPs, mentioned the following in an interview recently:

Beyond the LP what do you see?

The other thing I hope takes off is high-resolution music on Blu-ray. You can put non-compressed 24-bit/192kHz audio surround or two channel
on it, and I’m hoping that’s where it goes. Even though the LP is a technology I’m conversant and feel totally comfortable with, it’s pathetic that the best thing you can buy in 2010 is an LP—an artifact from the 1960s. For me, if I could go home and listen to a disc in 192kHz the way I hear it in the studio, you could keep your LPs.

See this interview [warning: link to 25Mb PDF file].

Interesting view. I believe the future is very bright for hi res recordings at 386 or even 764 in the 'cloud' via subscription services. Problem is audiophiles are a diminishing minority and it is doubtful anyone will have the financial incentive to bring that about any time soon. You average yobbo on the street cant even hear the difference between high bit rate MP3 and lossless. Actually while I can on my gear it is no give me - on occasion I actually prefer the MP3.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

I have compared standard 44.1 to 192 upsampled many times on many DAC's and can hear clear and beneficial differences even between different upsamplers.

Definitely. My Linn DS has got better over the years as the upsampling algorithms have been refined. However, what I was trying (and previously failing) to get at is that a CD upscaled to higher resolution is only upscaled and sounds smoother - it is not now magically a high res recording, just a better smoother sounding redbook CD.

Definitely. My Linn DS has got better over the years as the upsampling algorithms have been refined. However, what I was trying (and previously failing) to get at is that a CD upscaled to higher resolution is only upscaled and sounds smoother - it is not now magically a high res recording, just a better smoother sounding redbook CD.

On that basis abso-friggen-lutely.

Thanks

Bill

However, what I was trying (and previously failing) to get at is that a CD upscaled to higher resolution is only upscaled and sounds smoother - it is not now magically a high res recording, just a better smoother sounding redbook CD.

Exactly, up-sampling is not hi-res.....

Hi-res these days is something like a DXD recording...recorded at 32bit/352.8khz for example.

Edited by Craigandkim
bold