TURNTABLE PLINTH COLOUR CHANGE

I have a Thorens TD 350 in Ash Black.

Id like to change the colour of the plinth to a more natural timber look.

Seeking any advice re procedure. Or preferably  someone experienced in this sort of thing who could do it.

Of course I’m not changing the plinth just stripping/sanding back and re-staining.

Thanks all in advance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Redterratoo

I'd suggest if you do what you are thinking of ... you will destroy the TT.  :(

So if black is not your thing ... sell the f*cker and move on to a 'wooden' one.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, metal beat said:

personally, I think it looks great in black.

Hah - yeah sure, Shane.  With a signature that says "Black Vinyl Matters " - obviously you would think this!  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hah - yeah sure, Shane.  With a signature that says "Black Vinyl Matters " - obviously you would think this!  :lol:

Andy

Andy,  you should know, once you have gone black you cannot go back ?   Although I would not swap the woodgrain on my Pioneer Exclusive P3 for any money.

Point I am trying to make is - live with what the creator decided

In the Acoustic Sounds listing https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=detail&title_id=32085   it is described as ,Finish Solid ash black wood trim.

This probably means timber veneer ie very thin timber.

You could remove small amount of the coating from the back, with paint striper, where it would not be seen and see what it looks like underneath but  you could probably end up with a result you are not happy with and loosing some of the value of the table. Probably not worth the risk on a table with some value to it.

• Like 1

Guest 12ax7b

It is defintely real wood veneer - see technical data sheet on manufacturers website.

Options were Black Ash, Red Ash & Maple.

You could possibly strip the black with steel wool, but I suspect it would be very difficult to remove all of the black.

1 hour ago, andyr said:

With a Thorens!  :lol:

Andy

Hi Andy

Well I hope you are enjoying your "Thorens" wannabe. ?

"Love it or hate it, you can't ignore this (LP12) seminal turntable. Linn managed to pull something out of the hat with what was basically a better-engineered TD150." 

Couldn't resist and only joking. ?

Cheers 

B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TS23 said:

Hi Andy

Well I hope you are enjoying your "Thorens" wannabe. ?

"Love it or hate it, you can't ignore this (LP12) seminal turntable. Linn managed to pull something out of the hat with what was basically a better-engineered TD150." 

Couldn't resist and only joking. ?

Cheers 

B

I agree, B - the TD150 preceded the LP12 ... but I'm not sure whether Ariston copied Thorens ... or Thorens copied Ariston.  :lol:

But the OP has a TD350 - which looks like it is a non-sprung TT?  (So I'm not sure whether it's related to an LP12.)

BTW, I've moved on from an LP12 ... to my 'SkeletaLinn'.  :)  This keeps all that is good about an LP12 (bearing, springs, belt drive) - but discards all the rest.

1 hour ago, Redterratoo said:

Yeah with a Thorens and a decent Phono Stage?

Only joking about Thorens, Red.  :)  So what is your 'decent phono stage'?

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

Andy,  you should know, once you have gone black you cannot go back ?

I'm well aware of that old saw, Shane.  :thumb:  (Though I'm fascinated to know whether it came about from white American women talking about Afro-American men ... or white American men talking about Afro-American women?  :) )

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

I agree, B - the TD150 preceded the LP12 ... but I'm not sure whether Ariston copied Thorens ... or Thorens copied Ariston.  :lol:

But the OP has a TD350 - which looks like it is a non-sprung TT?  (So I'm not sure whether it's related to an LP12.)

BTW, I've moved on from an LP12 ... to my 'SkeletaLinn'.  :)  This keeps all that is good about an LP12 (bearing, springs, belt drive) - but discards all the rest.

Only joking about Thorens, Red.  :)  So what is your 'decent phono stage'?

I'm well aware of that old saw, Shane.  :thumb:  (Though I'm fascinated to know whether it came about from white American women taking about Afro-American men ... or white American men talking about Afro-American women?  :) )

Andy

Andy, you could have missed a couple of other choices there ?

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

Andy, you could have missed a couple of other choices there ?

I'm sure I did, mate - after all, I am not a guru like you.  :)

I know of an Aussie TT from the 50s that could lay claim to being absolutely the first 3-springs TT ... was this the 'Aurora'?

Andy

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Redterratoo said:

I have a Thorens TD 350 in Ash Black.

Id like to change the colour of the plinth to a more natural timber look.

Seeking any advice re procedure. Or preferably  someone experienced in this sort of thing who could do it.

Of course I’m not changing the plinth just stripping/sanding back and re-staining.

Thanks all in advance.

First ascertain what material the plinth is made of 

Look at the underside - it won’t be painted 

If it’s MDF it will be difficult to get the timber look you are aiming for 

If it’s real timber then you have a chance to sand back and stain ect 

But you need to report back on what material your plinth is made of 

10 minutes ago, Redterratoo said:

The 350 is a spring suspended table.

Aah, OK - thanks, Red.  :thumb:

10 minutes ago, Redterratoo said:

Im using the Luxman Phono in the 590axii integrated.

Are you using an MM ... or an MC cart, with the Luxman?

Andy

9 minutes ago, Full Range said:

First ascertain what material the plinth is made of 

Look at the underside - it won’t be painted 

If it’s MDF it will be difficult to get the timber look you are aiming for 

If it’s real timber then you have a chance to sand back and stain ect 

But you need to report back on what material your plinth is made of 

It is a solid timber plinth.

As to what timber I’m not sure, but I don’t think it’s MDF.

12 minutes ago, Redterratoo said:

It is a solid timber plinth.

As to what timber I’m not sure, but I don’t think it’s MDF.

My TD 147 looks like timber but its actually MDF 

Sometimes you need to scratch or take a core sample by drilling a small hole in a discreet place to know if it’s timber or MDF 

1 hour ago, andyr said:

...I know of an Aussie TT from the 50s that could lay claim to being absolutely the first 3-springs TT ... was this the 'Aurora'?...

I think you are thinking of the Orpheus Silex, made in Melbourne. 

Re: The black plinth.  I think you will get into a mess trying to refinish what you have (eg. sanding and re-staining).   If you really wanted to do something, I would suggest taking out all the hardware, and taking it to an experienced cabinet/furniture maker who may be able to adhere a new wood veneer to it, and finish it for you.  As this would add an extra mm of height, check that that doesn't interfere with the knobs and platter, and the tonearm can have it's height re-adjusted if you veneer the armboard (which I would recommend so it matches the rest of the plinth). 

However, my bigger suggestion is to leave it as it is - it looks in excellent condition, and is representative of it's time.  If you really don't like the look of it, sell it in the classifieds and buy another that you like (and hopefully an upgrade in the sound as well). 

• Like 2