Currently Spinning

Agreed. I once read that the Bob Marley song "Small Axe" is about his strained relationship with Island Records. "Here's a message to the big tree/ we got a small axe/ we're gonna cut you down/without a sound". Dunno if it's true or not, but it is definitely one of my favourite Bob Marley lyrics

Chris Blackwell (or Whitewell as "Scratch" refers to him) was not universally loved by Ras bredren in Trenchtown. Bunny & Tosh despised him & thought he the Devil incarnate. But he was able to market some remarkable music that most of the world would never have heard. So credit where credit's due & Bob used Blackwell & Island records as much as they used Bob. That said, Island did have a lot more than reggae artists on their roster but Bob was their superstar.

• Like 2

post-110730-0-90587700-1368252622_thumb.

Santana / Mahavishnu Orchestra / John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender - 1973

What are they looking down at? I'll bet they're wearing white shoes! 

I know they're playing some 'Trane, but I couldn't put it in the Jazz thread (I'm a purist :cool: )

Anyway, "The Life Divine" rocks!

• Like 2

attachicon.gifCarlos_Santana_&_Mahavishnu_John_McLaughlin-Love_Devotion_Surrender-Frontal.jpg

Santana / Mahavishnu Orchestra / John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender - 1973

What are they looking down at? I'll bet they're wearing white shoes! 

I know they're playing some 'Trane, but I couldn't put it in the Jazz thread (I'm a purist :cool: )

Anyway, "The Life Divine" rocks!

McLaughlin gives Carlos a bit of a lesson in technique & development of statements. Nice effort in trying to bring 'Trane into rock vocabulary though.

• Like 1

I'm having a Tom Waits fest at the minute. All vinyl.

The wife's away, and although she tolerates ( and even enjoys ) a lot of my music, she's not big on Tom Waits, so now is the perfect opportunity to play one of my favourite artists.

I am currently spinning the 2 "Bawlers" records from the Orphan box, and have already played Blue Valentine, Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Mule Variations, and Heartattack & Vine since mid afternoon.

51JpUgi9eQL._AA160_.jpg 51MW84GDWCL._AA160_.jpg 51k7iW58xsL._AA160_.jpg 412YGAJNY4L._AA160_.jpg 41iHX7bOKmL._AA160_.jpg 51N19JK0VHL._AA160_.jpg

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 6

22 years after I bought this, it sounds like it could be a new release hip hop album.  The French rapper/hip hopper MC Solaar debut album is superb - that it is sung in French just adds to the beauty.

Thanks Shane,

I'm generally not a fan of rap/hip hop but checked this out on Grooveshark and quite like it. It has a nice groove to it, and yes, it being sung in french matters naught to me.  :)

• Like 1

Jazz bass player Ron Carter recorded with MC Solaar. Do you know which album it was turntable? The track I heard many years ago was pretty coo

That was on the Aids benefit album Stolen Moments : Red Hot + Cool.  The song was Un Ange En Danger.  Was very kool.

Unfortuately I never got that compilation, although I did the first one in the series. A wonderful compilation album tributing Cole Porter songs.  Ft Nenah Cherry, Neville Brothers, Deb Harry and Iggy, Tom Waits to name just a few.  

Gonna play it now

post-105087-0-02250700-1368276669_thumb.

• Like 2

Good afternoon music lovers. Currently playing: Moodymann- Black Mahogani II. Detroit Techno/ House producer Kenny Dixon Jr is the man responsible for this little gem. It's a jazz affair this time with looped upright bass,high hats and soulful vocals. Short but sweet.

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble