Currently Spinning

Out of the blue decided it's time to revisit something I have been avoiding for over 10 years because of those old memories forever linked with the sounds of this album. I know they can never be disconnected but maybe it's been long enough now to see it all in a new light.

kol-1537372748-640x640.jpg

• Like 1

The death throes of a cheap soundbar through the kitchen wall signify that the neighbour in the flat next door appears to have taken a dislike to my music selections for the night so it's time for Blood Has Been Shed - Spirals..

hqdefault.jpg

R-5938552-1407080187-1062.jpeg.jpg

Picked this in an op shop today. One of the Funkadelic remasters with bonus tracks and a delight to hear this for the first time. The title track is enormous, it sounds like Jimi Hendrix, the MC5, and the Rolling Stones all locked in a nightclub together and the band on the stage saying, "here, listen to this, it's what you do or what you will do six months from now, and by the way, in a few years there'll be someone named Prince coming down the line and he'll be learning something from this just like you." Meantime at a table in a shady corner Frank Zappa and the Mothers are watching proceedings, nodding slowly and saying, "yeh, this is the shiz."

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Songsters,

So how does it sound, I have been procrastinating about buying it.

Meanwhile as I haven't seemed to  have played much Electronic music for a while put on Pantha Du Prince, Black Noise, hard to believe it is nearly a decade old.

242635175_BlackNoise.jpg.e405cac5f7c71770c9df8ee3259c70ce.jpg

JJ

I thought it was really interesting how they brought that sound, so freshly produced in the studio, on to stage live. I thought the arrangements were more interesting, instrument voices more distinct than latter day live versions (when the $ were available).  All a little more bare/raw.  Love it.  Needs a second listen though.

• Like 1

Had a look at Bandcamp and I recently purchased this, from Amanda Palmer. Good effort, say 8.5 out of 10, but I much prefer a male voice for this track.

You can listen and even buy the artwork at the link below..

903148415_Everybodyknows.jpg.ad0341043ad5e1b64e9837c00e56f288.jpg

https://amandapalmer.bandcamp.com/track/amanda-palmer-jherek-bischoff-everybody-knows-leonard-cohen

1 hour ago, koputai said:

A good Sydney band from the late 70's - early 80's.

Jimmy And The Boys - Not Like Everybody Else

532299819_Photo3-8-19133816.thumb.jpg.4b8474e736c5f3316524c618d1755df3.jpg

Cheers,

Jason.

That’s a blast from the past

In the late 70’s I rode a bike down to Sydney to see Bob Dylan

Ater the concert e went out to a band 

Jimmy and the Boys 

wild night of contrasting music

to put it mildly?

2 hours sleep and I jumped back on the bike and rode back home

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Relax, soundtracks very rarely reach the depth of this one. You'll never see this mentioned by the Beegees or anybody else, even when a Beegee pops off and the media does the career retrospective.  More on this turkey here and here.

R-762024-1351909350-5269.jpeg.jpg

Critical reception

Professional ratings
Review scores
Source Rating
AllMusic 1/5 stars11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[6]
Encyclopedia of Popular Music 1/5 stars11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[7]
The Rolling Stone Record Guide 0/5 stars11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[8]
The Village Voice D+[9]

In a contemporary review for The Village Voice, music critic Robert Christgau gave the album a D+ rating with an added "Must to Avoid" warning. He wrote that, apart from the Earth, Wind & Fire and Aerosmith songs, "most of the arrangements are lifted whole without benefit of vocal presence (maybe Maurice should try hormones) or rhythmic integrity ('Can't we get a little of that disco feel in there, George?')"[9] Writing in The Rolling Stone Record Guide in 1983, Dave Marsh dismissed the soundtrack as "An utter travesty" and "Easily the worst album of any notoriety in this book." Marsh identified Aerosmith's "Come Together" and Earth, Wind & Fire's "Got to Get You into My Life" as the only competent renditions and concluded: "Two million people bought this album, which proves that P.T. Barnum was right and that euthanasia may have untapped possibilities."[8]

According to Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic, the album suffers from clumsy performances by the Bee Gees, Frankie Howerd and Peter Frampton, as well as performers who were poorly suited to their song, including Steve Martin, George Burns and Alice Cooper. Erlewine says that the soundtrack has become "a legend in its own right" due to its unenviable reputation and adds that, while it has attracted a cult following, "there's no erasing the fact that this is an absolutely atrocious record".[6]

Even at age 12, I was hard pressed not to laugh out loud in the cinema when Leif Garrett burst into "What would you think if I sang out of tune?"

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown