UHD Netflix PQ has taken a dive recently

If Netflix is super important to you, then it might be worthwhile finding out which ISPs host Netflix servers.. 

It's so much not how quick your internet service is, it's how quick it is or uncongested it is to where your Netflix content is coming from.

Now, trying to find that list might be another story. Anyone know it? 

9 minutes ago, Hytram said:

If Netflix is super important to you, then it might be worthwhile finding out which ISPs host Netflix servers.. 

It's so much not how quick your internet service is, it's how quick it is or uncongested it is to where your Netflix content is coming from.

Now, trying to find that list might be another story. Anyone know it? 

Sorry but no.  They have increased compression of all streams from their own servers.  This eu requested this Six weeks ago and many other jurisdictions have followed suit.   Never mind the actual bandwidth usage facts.  Sure it went up everywhere lockdowns were introduced but it was never going to really threaten the stability of the isp’s infrastructure.

Edited by Lil Caesar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

I don't have speed issues.

Just netflix speed issues.

Log a fault with your ISP

Get onto whirlpool for your ISP and see if you can get some traction with other users and get them to log a fault 

One or two users won't get a fault anywhere past Level 1 and a No Fault Found 

10s or 100s users will get it further up the chain. 

ISP are doing a lot of traffic management ATM and one bad command line of code can stuff up traffic flow for one type of service for a group of customers.. 

But yes, as other say, all video on demand sources have had their bandwidth clipped 

1 hour ago, Lil Caesar said:

Sorry but no.  They have increased compression of all streams from their own servers.  This eu requested this Six weeks ago and many other jurisdictions have followed suit.   Never mind the actual bandwidth usage facts.  Sure it went up everywhere lockdowns were introducted but it was never going to really threaten the stability of the isp’s infrastructure.

This will bring down 4K to 1080p, but should not effect people being able to actually watch Netflix which is not the OP problem, but has been mentioned in this thread.. 

Upping the NBN CVCs by 40% has put  strains on ISP (or RSP in NBN speak) links to the NBN POIs and those links have been managed by throttling the types of traffic that goes over them..  Links never going close to peaking for months, virtually overnight were peaking out.. 

New links aren't just installed instantly, especially to and from the NBN, so current links are massaged to suit.. And Netflix traffic isn't terribly important traffic ATM

Some links can be increased, some can not. 

I would like to see what Netflix and YouTube have actually done as both of them host servers with core networks of the major ISP for those ISP to stream to their customers (whether these servers stream to other ISPs I do not know) , if the ISP has no issue with their bandwidth, there would be no reason to throttle it. 

It was a request, not a requirement. 

When you watch something on Netflix you have no idea whether it comes from a server up the road or across the ocean, this would have a large bearing on what is throttled or not.. 

And there is probably several lots of throttling going on, from the Netflix Server, the link between the NF server and the ISP, the ISP and how ever it gets to you. 

The closer the Netflix server is to you, the better chance of having less problems. 

Edit.. 

A bit old, but a little on where Netflix host their servers 

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/researchers-map-locations-of-4669-servers-in-netflixs-content-delivery-network

Edited by Hytram

9 hours ago, Hytram said:

it might be worthwhile finding out which ISPs host Netflix servers

This won't really tell you what you want to know (will my netflix experience be excellent?).

As an ISP, I may not host a netflix server in my own network.... but someone else who does might be literally only meters away from my routers, and there might be super-fat uncongested pipe linking those two networks.

Anyone know it? 

The list is long.... but as mentioned, it's wrong to assume anybody not on the list is "to be avoided".

Edited by davewantsmoore

36 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

This won't really tell you what you want to know (will my netflix experience be excellent?).

As an ISP, I may not host a netflix server in my own network.... but someone else who does might be literally only meters away from my routers, and there might be super-fat uncongested pipe linking those two networks.

the question is, if an ISP hosts a Netflix server, is that server available for other ISPs to use? 

ISPs will only host Netflix/google/facebook/Akamai servers if its in their interests and sharing that with competitors is not within that interest

as a general rule, Netflix servers within an ISP are not shared except if an smaller ISP is buying wholesale traffic off the larger ISP and its in the contract 

36 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The list is long.... but as mentioned, it's wrong to assume anybody not on the list is "to be avoided".

so, where is the list?

6 hours ago, Hytram said:

So, where is the list?

Not published....  as I said, in part becuase it won't mean what people might think it does. 

The list is long as all big ISPs have them in their network.... but all ISPs peer with those servers, somewhere.

This is a much better way to guage it.... it shows you the ISPs performance to netflix content.

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/australia/

For smaller ISP who don't appear on this list..... then best thing I can advise is you ask them when you sign up.   I want to sue this for netflix - Will I get similar netflix performance as those ISPs on the netflix leaderboard?    When they say "Yes, almost always" .... then, that's your ticket to cancelling your contract (and having any associated costs reimbursed to you) under the consumer protection laws, if it turns out they lied.