NAD C658 BluOS Streaming DAC Owners & Discussion Thread

Just be aware, that apart from streaming capability, they are quite different devices, the Aries is just a streaming bridge, no DAC, very few inputs. The NAD is a preamp as well as a streaming DAC. Aries would have to be second hand as it is now superseded

Edited by mjs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Masseey said:

Which is better Auralic Aries Femto or NAD 658 for streaming?

The NAD C658 has Dirac Live which improves the sound quality, particularly in untreated rooms. Dirac Live is one of the best room correction software and easy to use.

The BluOS Apps is available as a Mobile App for Android, iOS and Kindle, and Desktop App for Windows and OS X Computers. Updates are frequent and connects to all the well known streaming services. BluOS looks good and is easy to use.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi C658 owners,

I've been thinking of getting a Roon subscription.  Can anyone comment on how Roon and the C658/BlueOS get along?

I've read Tidal MQA and Hi Res files are problematic.  Does anyone have actual experience they can share?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mpr_65 said:

Hi C658 owners,

I've read Tidal MQA and Hi Res files are problematic.  Does anyone have actual experience they can share?

Cheers

Hi,

I am using Tidal  for the last 3 months and listen to MQA tracks with out any issue what so ever.

NAD is streaming via WiFi on NBN HFC network ( around 90/38 Mbps down/up speeds) 

What problematic issues have you heard?

Cheers.

K.

2 hours ago, Mpr_65 said:

Can anyone comment on how Roon and the C658/BlueOS get along?

I have read (not using Roon) that BluOS and Roon works with wired Ethernet but some users are having issues with wifi connections. This particular thread was started by a very aggrieved individual

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/the-roon-ready-promise-the-case-of-the-bluesound-2i/78666

But as you know, complaints tend to be amplified out of proportion, and normal working usage does not get posted as much...

29 minutes ago, NADbooffa said:

Hi,

I am using Tidal  for the last 3 months and listen to MQA tracks with out any issue what so ever.

NAD is streaming via WiFi on NBN HFC network ( around 90/38 Mbps down/up speeds) 

What problematic issues have you heard?

Cheers.

K.

Are you using Roon as well?

18 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I have read (not using Roon) that BluOS and Roon works with wired Ethernet but some users are having issues with wifi connections. This particular thread was started by a very aggrieved individual

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/the-roon-ready-promise-the-case-of-the-bluesound-2i/78666

But as you know, complaints tend to be amplified out of proportion, and normal working usage does not get posted as much...

Yes I agree, usually you only hear the negative or problems often from users with very convoluted setups or extreme usage.

I've used Room before with a Bluesound Node 2 and had very few problems.  I found Roon pretty cool to use.

I am attracted to the benefits of room correction, especially Dirac and I've been browsing the C658 thread on and off for some months.

However... I love my system presently, especially after recently building a Stereo Coffee LDR pre- and I am loathe to change to the NAD which would preclude me continuing to use a Gieseler DAC.

So, my question to SNA members, who have previously used Gieseler DACs and Auralic Aries streamers, is did you feel that going to the NAD C658 was a step down in sound quality from your preceding streamer / pre- / DAC system?

My other option is to go for either a miniDSP SHD Studio (US$800), or their DDRC-22D (US$700) or DDRC-24 (US$449, although doing its own ADC/DAC) which enables me to keep using an external DAC, however the cost goes up, especially since mu USB-only Klein won't work with the SPDIF or Toslink O/P from those devices. Those all include a UMIK-1 which if I bought the NAD would be an extra A$150 or so.

My system comprises:

Stereo Coffee LDR pre-amp, May-June 2020 build spec.

Shunyata Research Hydra power conditioner and power cables.

NAS-files, or Tidal, serving up 44.1 / 16 FLACs over wi-fi to

Auralic Aries streamer (Femto clock and LPSU model).

iFi iUSB Nano 3.0 and Curious USB cable between streamer and DAC. Chord Silverline from Aries into iFi iUSB

Gieseler Klein III DAC  (USB) with Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk LPSU.

Bryston Cable+ Pro IC from DAC to Stereo Coffee.

Rega P3, with Exact cart and iFi iPhono2 phono stage. Ikea bamboo chopping board! 

Gamut D200 Mk 3 dual mono poweramp (2 x 200W into 8ohms)

Bill's Covid-busting cable #2, from iPhono2 to Stereo Coffee

Bill's Cables solid copper/silver RCA-XLR hybrid IC from Stereo Coffee to Gamut power-amp

Morrow Audio SP-4 speaker cables. Sonus Faber Concerto Home speakers on cheap stands.

Room correction is expected to give me benefits because the layout is constrained by WAF(!) and the LH speaker is close to a short return wall, as shown.

Awaiting your feedback with interest, TIA.

David

20200629_hi-fi_w_SC.jpg

Edited by lenticularis
added DDRC-24
  • Like 2

I reckon Dirac live room correction adds hugely. Imaging and separation improves greatly in my setup. Bass a little. I'm listening to MQA files on a 25mbps NBN wifi (with 3  kids in house) with rare dropouts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenticularis said:

I am attracted to the benefits of room correction, especially Dirac and I've been browsing the C658 thread on and off for some months.

However... I love my system presently, especially after recently building a Stereo Coffee LDR pre- and I am loathe to change to the NAD which would preclude me continuing to use a Gieseler DAC.

So, my question to SNA members, who have previously used Gieseler DACs and Auralic Aries streamers, is did you feel that going to the NAD C658 was a step down in sound quality from your preceding streamer / pre- / DAC system?

My other option is to go for either a miniDSP SHD Studio (US$800), or their DDRC-22D (US$700) or DDRC-24 (US$449, although doing its own ADC/DAC) which enables me to keep using an external DAC, however the cost goes up, especially since mu USB-only Klein won't work with the SPDIF or Toslink O/P from those devices. Those all include a UMIK-1 which if I bought the NAD would be an extra A$150 or so.

My system comprises:

Stereo Coffee LDR pre-amp, May-June 2020 build spec.

Shunyata Research Hydra power conditioner and power cables.

NAS-files, or Tidal, serving up 44.1 / 16 FLACs over wi-fi to

Auralic Aries streamer (Femto clock and LPSU model).

iFi iUSB Nano 3.0 and Curious USB cable between streamer and DAC. Chord Silverline from Aries into iFi iUSB

Gieseler Klein III DAC  (USB) with Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk LPSU.

Bryston Cable+ Pro IC from DAC to Stereo Coffee.

Rega P3, with Exact cart and iFi iPhono2 phono stage. Ikea bamboo chopping board! 

Gamut D200 Mk 3 dual mono poweramp (2 x 200W into 8ohms)

Bill's Covid-busting cable #2, from iPhono2 to Stereo Coffee

Bill's Cables solid copper/silver RCA-XLR hybrid IC from Stereo Coffee to Gamut power-amp

Morrow Audio SP-4 speaker cables. Sonus Faber Concerto Home speakers on cheap stands.

Room correction is expected to give me benefits because the layout is constrained by WAF(!) and the LH speaker is close to a short return wall, as shown.

Awaiting your feedback with interest, TIA.

David

I also think Dirac helps with everything that @Mikahakk1 outlined and the Nad C658 sounds fantastic. But I would say that if you are coming from a sound you love and you think that the Klein DAC maybe a large contributing factor to that, I would use other Dirac alternatives in the digital domain and keep your Klein DAC because the two sound quite different. 

I did the exact same thing that you are considering and I heard the difference for myself.

I guess I'm saying that Dirac won't replace the sound signature of the Klein DAC if thats what you love but it does everything else very well.

• Like 3

@lenticularis I am glad Hifi Whipped has posted because he has been most concerned with the change in the sound. That is one consideration.

The other is whether you want to simplify your system. As you know, I went through a radical simplification 18 months ago and still have no regrets. It was liberating not having to look for the next upgrade to the DAC, streamer to preamp, tubes etc. You need to be ready to do it (simplification) though.

No doubt that Dirac Live is excellent, especially when it is used in an untreated room. It is simple to use and most people can get a good result. If you go the miniDSP route, go digital only.

• Like 3

I have just signed up for Roon and had it running with the C658 as an end point.

It was all working fine. 

I added a wifi mesh system on the weekend and now have a new wifi host. 

Since doing this, Roon can now not find the C658 as an output. 

I have performed numerous resets to both Roon and the C658 with no luck.

Roon finds my other end points but not the C658.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, What Me? said:

Any thoughts?

Maybe an IP address problem?  Check IP addresses within Roon, and also IP address of C658.  Have you disabled your mesh network's DHCP and use only the Router's DHCP service?

Also try switching everything off and the network, restart network first and then devices.

14 minutes ago, What Me? said:

If I disconnect the LAN wiring and use WiFi it works no problem.

Plug the Ethernet cable back in and it disappears?

Working on WiFi currently until I fix it

Have you disabled wifi on your router?  And have you disabled DHCP service on the mesh network?   Can you please find out what the IP addresses of the C658, the Roon server? 

If all these networking things are not familar to you, please provide brand and model number of your router and mesh network and hopefully, someone here knows that particular box and can walk you step by step to finding out the information.  As a start, to login to your router, use a browser and type in 192.168.0.1   or 192.168.1.1  (these are typical IP addresses).  Login as admin with hopefully a better password than admin.  You should be able to list the IP addresses of all your devices including the mesh network box.  Login to the mesh network box.

Also, please draw a sketch of your network including router, how it is connected to mesh network and where you are wiring the C658.

• Like 1

Not sure that I like how the new 3.02 version sounds, seems less open than off. Could be measurement variation though? Or the new power amp doesn't need the Dirac correction.

Edited by Mikahakk1

9 hours ago, Mikahakk1 said:

Not sure that I like how the new 3.02 version sounds, seems less open than off. Could be measurement variation though? Or the new power amp doesn't need the Dirac correction.

You’ve had a significant change in amp there by the looks, surely be more that than the new firmware.

33 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

You’ve had a significant change in amp there by the looks, surely be more that than the new firmware.

All a guess. I'm guessing the Dirac is not as beneficial for the new better power amp. Less "smearing" to improve on?? Things are less open when on compared to off. I'm still going to use a version 2 filter measured off the Marantz, trading slightly less openess and soundstage with a slight tightening up of instruments. The new 3.02 Dirac filters measured on the Pass seemed too closed. I'll measure ago later, I suspect measurement variability has a big effect too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikahakk1 said:

All a guess. I'm guessing the Dirac is not as beneficial for the new better power amp. Less "smearing" to improve on?? Things are less open when on compared to off. I'm still going to use a version 2 filter measured off the Marantz, trading slightly less openess and soundstage with a slight tightening up of instruments. The new 3.02 Dirac filters measured on the Pass seemed too closed. I'll measure ago later, I suspect measurement variability has a big effect too.

Have you tried playing with the curtains within Dirac so you aren’t equalizing the whole spectrum? Pulling it back down towards the lower frequencies opens up the top end but keeps some of the tightness and separation you like. That’s what I’ve found in my system anyway.

• Like 2