Investment in LCD TVs to dry up by 2022

Intersting article below from flatpanelshd re LCD TVs investing winding up and to be wrapped up by 2022. looks like its hit its peak... with samsung saying it will transition away from LCD, panasonic ending LCDs by 2021 and LG planning to halve LCD production in the next year...

clearly OLED seems to be winer out of this with investment there surging... and microLED (ie true LED not LED lit LCDs we have had for some years)

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1576143979

"Investment into LCD to dry up by 2022, says IHS Markit

12 Dec 2019 | Rasmus Larsen |  16 Comments

After more than a decade of dominance, the LCD market is starting to implode. Analyst company IHS Markit expects investment into LCD to completely dry up by 2022.

OLED investment to surge

Samsung has announced that it will transition away from LCD to focus on next-generation technologies such as QD-OLED. Panasonic will end production of LCD panels by 2021 and LG Display is reportedly planning to halve LCD TV panel production next year. IHS Markit now expects investment into LCD equipment to completely dry up by 2022. The final investment into the sector will happen in 2020 as BOE expands its 10.5G LCD line and CSoT (TCL) makes investment into its 10.5G factory.

This is a major shift after LCD has dominated display sectors, ranging from TVs to handheld screens, for more than a decade. Plasma remained a niche in TVs until it disappeared. However, in recent years we have seen OLED emerge as a superior alternative to LCD in many applications.

IHS Markit expects investment into OLED to surge over the next five years as more panel makers, including Samsung Display, JOLED, and CSoT, get involved in earnest. The next phase after OLED could be microLED - tiny inorganic light emitting diodes - but IHS Markit does not expect microLED to reach the mass-market before 2026."
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Anything that brings more competition to LG;s stranglehold on oled panels is welcome Al :) Microleds will get close to oled contrast without the high price tag and have the advantage of nits when it comes to HDR ; just have to wait :/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That will be in the market for home entertainment....

Like all things if a market for a product begins to stale it gets dropped off, no surprise here because just have a look at how impressive OLEDs are and how the prices have dropped so far.  

LCDs for monitors and professional LCD for reprographics are still the dominate tech used.  Be interested if the producers of these monitors will transition into OLEDs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cwt said:

Anything that brings more competition to LG;s stranglehold on oled panels is welcome Al :) Microleds will get close to oled contrast without the high price tag and have the advantage of nits when it comes to HDR ; just have to wait :/

hi cwt, just like OLED initially was available in very small screens. I remember at one stage no one game for making anything much larger took years to come to point could make larger screens reliably and at a cost that seems in realm of some sort of affordability. suspect microLED will follow same path....2026 the article says... thats only few years away ... who knows the kuro might still keep going till then hehe

hopefully microLED gets there as OLED is great ! if microLED can take further ... all the better ! :)

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

That will be in the market for home entertainment....

Like all things if a market for a product begins to stale it gets dropped off, no surprise here because just have a look at how impressive OLEDs are and how the prices have dropped so far.  

LCDs for monitors and professional LCD for reprographics are still the dominate tech used.  Be interested if the producers of these monitors will transition into OLEDs

hi AM, from panasonic they are stopping this in the next year my reading shows and this is in regards pro lcd monitors. already stopped LCDTVs back in 2016

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, betty boop said:

! :)

hi AM, from panasonic they are stopping this in the next year my reading shows and this is in regards pro lcd monitors. already stopped LCDTVs back in 2016

I don’t recall ever seeing a Panasonic monitor.....  most use LG Samsung,  many Apple products as most Graphic places would uses,   use to be Sony when CRT for there hey day, but I don’t see Sony either....  Can’t recall the brand but I’ve seen others that are in professional environments that are strictly calibrated....must go to some of these clients and check them out.

• Like 1

I read a article on CNET about the up coming CES show, and what might be released by the major TV manufacturers, what I found interesting was what the worldwide market share re TV sales under US$1000 was.

019 market share (units sold)

Samsung 21%
TCL 15%
Vizio 14%
LG 10%
Hisense 5%

Among TVs over US$1,000 Samsung dominates with 51% of the market, followed by LG (23%) and Sony (22%). 

Pity those figures don't break down into screen types sold.

As fine as OLED TV's can look, I feel LCD's can be better for things like gaming, if only for not having to worry about a games GUI burning into a OLED with prolonged use.

I find it somewhat surprising that LCD TV's will be phased out so abruptly, given that OLED's are still quite a bit more expensive .

18 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I find it somewhat surprising that LCD TV's will be phased out so abruptly, given that OLED's are still quite a bit more expensive .

Yes, and will it mean that the OLED prices will remain higher for longer given the cheaper alternatives will soon cease.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I read a article on CNET about the up coming CES show, and what might be released by the major TV manufacturers, what I found interesting was what the worldwide market share re TV sales under US$1000 was.

019 market share (units sold)

Samsung 21%
TCL 15%
Vizio 14%
LG 10%
Hisense 5%

keep in mind this is us market... where panasonic doesnt operate... where is sony...ah yeah this is under $1000 :) 

27 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Among TVs over US$1,000 Samsung dominates with 51% of the market, followed by LG (23%) and Sony (22%). 

Pity those figures don't break down into screen types sold.

As fine as OLED TV's can look, I feel LCD's can be better for things like gaming, if only for not having to worry about a games GUI burning into a OLED with prolonged use.

something they said with plasma too remember .... yet i for one still using :D lets not start that again...separate thread for that, but anywise just consider it the makers reading the tea leaves...

28 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

just means the majors will no longer invest... will hang around for quite some while would suggest...just the upper end is where will see less and less suspect... till microLED comes in .... OLED will then take place of LCD.... cant stop wheels of progress...

47 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a Panasonic monitor.....  most use LG Samsung,  many Apple products as most Graphic places would uses,   use to be Sony when CRT for there hey day, but I don’t see Sony either....  Can’t recall the brand but I’ve seen others that are in professional environments that are strictly calibrated....must go to some of these clients and check them out.

if for business purposes....they'll keep using what ever they are using AM until it dies... places like this where tool of trade dont tend to yield to consumerisms and keeping up wiht the jones... ie must have latest and greatest. tend to buy till dies...then probably fix unless uneconomical and cheaper to replace...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

if for business purposes....they'll keep using what ever they are using AM until it dies... places like this where tool of trade dont tend to yield to consumerisms and keeping up wiht the jones... ie must have latest and greatest. tend to buy till dies...then probably fix unless uneconomical and cheaper to replace...

What  do you mean for business purposes that they use it till it dies.....

Im a cheap skate,  and a tight @rs e,   I still have a LCD 52 inch Samsung that I bought for $3500......in 2008 for the Beijing Olympics.......it’s still going strong, it’s in my daughters room now and it just won’t die,   So it doesn’t give me an excuse to buy the latest and greatest......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

What  do you mean for business purposes that they use it till it dies.....

Im a cheap skate,  and a tight @rs e,   I still have a LCD 52 inch Samsung that I bought for $3500......in 2008 for the Beijing Olympics.......it’s still going strong, it’s in my daughters room now and it just won’t die,   So it doesn’t give me an excuse to buy the latest and greatest......

Yep our old kuro can keep going as long as it likes :D

• Like 1

Has anyone read up on QD-OLED? Still a little while away, but looks like it will be able to take the best of Quantum Dot tech like on Samsungs QLED panels (brightness and whatnot) and combine it with all the great OLED features. I'm hoping my plasma lasts until something like this is a viable option, as much of my viewing is daytime with a lot of natural light, but I still want that OLED goodness for a proper night binge / big movie.

On 04/01/2020 at 3:51 PM, betty boop said:

Yep our old kuro can keep going as long as it likes :D

Well, it would seem that our old Kuro (bought in November 2007 and running flawlessly ever since) might just have spit the dummy.  And I also saw that report about the major players planning to phase out LCD.  Sigh.  I can get a 65" Sony KD65X9500G from VideoPro for just over $1950.  I can get a Hisense 65" OLED for about the same price.  The cheapest Sony 65" OLED (KD65A8G) would cost me about double the price of the equivalent size TOTL Sony LCD.  What to do????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brumby said:

Well, it would seem that our old Kuro (bought in November 2007 and running flawlessly ever since) might just have spit the dummy.  And I also saw that report about the major players planning to phase out LCD.  Sigh.  I can get a 65" Sony KD65X9500G from VideoPro for just over $1950.  I can get a Hisense 65" OLED for about the same price.  The cheapest Sony 65" OLED (KD65A8G) would cost me about double the price of the equivalent size TOTL Sony LCD.  What to do????

If mine curled up ... I’d go the base pana oled.... :)

Re the hisense see thread below, for some real world feedback ...

The base Panasonic OLED (TH65GZ1000U) would cost me about $1150 - or almost 60 percent - more than the TOTL Sony LCD.  I've got 70 year old eyeballs and I watch a fair amount of FTA stuff and very little 4K stuff.  I must admit I've been hanging out for an OLED set but now that I'm  facing making a final decision I'm not at all sure that it's worth the extra scratch.  Were I twenty or even ten years younger, things might be very different.  But I'm not.

• Like 1