Technics in Aus - 1500C

With the recent announcement that Technics is returning Aus, I’m wonder if a 1500C TT @ Gulp $2000 is going to sound any better than the old SL1200 mK 2 to mk 5’s.

I like the look without the faders but it’s hard to see it being worth that type of coin.  Does anyone now what these decks are worth in Japan we have friends that go often.

cheers Damo

Can't imagine its $1500 better than my pawn shop and subsequently refurbed MK2. I could whack a Jelco arm on her and still be ahead I reckon. Such is the scale of economy I guess. Happy to see the return of Technics in Aus tho for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jebediah said:

Can't imagine its $1500 better than my pawn shop and subsequently refurbed MK2. I could whack a Jelco arm on her and still be ahead I reckon. Such is the scale of economy I guess. Happy to see the return of Technics in Aus tho for sure.

Yes this my thinking but mk2’ ect are not that cheap either.  With some mods then it gets up in price too I guess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am considering this as my upgrade from the ATLP120 now I have the vinyl bug,  but struggling to find a stockist even though Panasonic say it is available through selected stockists since November. I rang Panasonic today and they said "BiRite" can get them, rang them and they know nothing about it, but are going to check and get back to me. All these articles saying we can get them but no links to any suppliers. Discrepency Records have them but they have them marked up over $600 about the RRP.

They are supposed to be $2k. 

Edited by April Snow

1500c has a built in phono stage and comes with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. So a nice all in one. Probs not for someone who already has those items covered, unless looking to simplify your setup.

BTW, has both a phono out and the line out. Uses the same new motor as the GR model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobes said:

1500c has a built in phono stage and comes with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. So a nice all in one.

Maybe, but the first thing I would need to do is upgrade the cart and I would not use the phono stage as my existing phonos are almost certainly better.

@DAMO 1147   I really don't think it would sound that much better.  However, having a nice brand new piece of equipment of such good design is certainly attractive.   But, a bit pricey for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, metal beat said:

I would buy one from Store DJ.

They have stores in Brisb, Sydney, Melb and Perth. 

Their pricing is always good.  They have the 1210 mk7 for $1599. 

Thank you, I think I have found another supplier too with the help of a friend on here - thinking of actually springing for the 1200 GR now - as I watched the launch and that is still made in Japan and better build (body wise) than the 1500C. Also has the cue light which I would miss to be honest.

Shall ring today and find out more and see how I go.............................

:-)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

All the models look similar but my eye sight is dreadful. Would love to hear a new GR or G.

I have been to look in real life and they look incredible.

I had a look at Regas too - but I read a comment on a post when researching new turntables how they look like a ceramic stove top and I could not quite move past that image in my head, and no disrespect is intended to Rega Owners, because they are beautiful too.

It is a good thing though that the world is not full of just white flowers - we have variety to make the world a beautiful place ?

Edited by April Snow

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, Wimbo said:

Gees, they would wanna sound bloody good for 7G's, cause they look cheap IMO.

Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the G looks fantastic, but $7K is a lot. UK price (inc VAT @ 20%) is £3K, or AU $5700...

@metal beat and @josh0571

Technics 1200 GR with Ortofon Bronze 

A big upgrade from the Audio Technica LP1200 USB  which was great to cut my teeth on as a newbie for three months before making a big commitment to the hobby.

Technics was set up with the help  & advice of a Stereonet forum pal (they rather hide their light under a bushel but I am truly grateful as I could not have done this on my own) ?

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 4
  • Love 1