Record shops in Osaka

Hi guys,

there was an old thread about it but no answers :(.

wonder if anyone knows of any good place to check for records and maybe some cool japanese old gear.

Will go at the end of the month, mainly Osaka, not sure if will make it  to Tokio as the missus is organising the trip but please advise as I might arrange one day trip there.

cheers

H

Good luck and hope you enjoy the trip and find good shops for audio gear and records. There should be plenty. 

Osaka may be ok but may not be safe to go to anywhere near Tokyo.  Be aware of foods, too. Radioactive contamination in Japan is getting serious and especially careful about foods came from Fukushima which is now served whole nation in Japan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Good luck and hope you enjoy the trip and find good shops for audio gear and records. There should be plenty. 

Osaka may be ok but may not be safe to go to anywhere near Tokyo.  Be aware of foods, too. Radioactive contamination in Japan is getting serious and especially careful about foods came from Fukushima which is now served whole nation in Japan. 

Thanks mate,

what will you consider Tokyo as not safe?

H

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

surely you are joking?

Search this site for Osaka stores

https://recordstores.love/

there's a Disk Union in Osaka, visited Disk Union in Shibuya,Tokyo last Sept, amazing shop!!

https://vinylradar.com/record-store/disk-union-osaka/

head over to Kyoto to Joe's Garage, great shop, was there too, last Sept!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joes-Garage/207632309284442?nr

regards Ian

• Like 3

For OP, here is the youtube video link to see a lot of Osaka record shops. Record shops and audio gear shops are usually close each other so should be easy to find both at the same time. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=osaka+record+stores

Edited by candyflip
political and completely off topic
  • Like 1

OP - the single best list on the internet is this one, however it is ONLY for Tokyo and immediate surrounds.:

http://mostly-retro.com/2016/10/03/the-biggest-guide-to-tokyo-record-stores-on-the-internet/ 

The author lives in Tokyo, writes really well, and visited every single location over a year period.

Latest update was done this year - it remains the most comprehensive, honest and trust-worthy guide I have seen. 

Good luck - it is great fun!  ?

• Like 1

Hi @hlov

I was there in April / May and there are plenty, but you have to do a little hunting for some. Tower Records is probably the best known for new records, but with exchange rates they can be more expensive than here in Australia.

If you go to Tower, near Diamaru there is a smaller shop next to it that sells second hand records that are in VG+ condition for good prices.

Below is an informative website that may help:

http://thesewordsareon.blogspot.com/2015/11/record-shopping-in-osaka-part-1.html

JJ

• Like 1

Japan is one of the best countries I have been to. Enjoyed the people, the food and the shopping so much I have been twice in 12 months with my wife. The added bonus is the LP shopping.

I only spent a little time in Osaka but it is only 20mins from Kyoto. Both have LP shops however it is Tokyo where it is at. The two biggies are Disk Union and Recofan. They have multiple sites around Tokyo.  

Do a quick search on google for Osaka shops - there will be plenty. Also at the main train station at Osaka there is a Yodabashi Camera. They are the biggest electrical chain in Japan. They always stock awesome gear to ogle. The main store in Tokyo is in Akihabara. Well worth a visit.

Enjoy mate, it's a great place.

• Like 3

I’ve got 3 days coming up in Osaka in November. Have only had day trips there from Kyoto previously so looking forward to having more time there this time. There are stacks of shops around Namba and Shinsaibashi. I buy a lot of 60’s and 70’s rock and stores I’ve liked have been Forever, Hanky Panky and Redbone. They’ve had my kind of stuff at reasonable prices. King Kong and Timebomb are both huge shops and just around the corner from each other but I didn’t have much joy at either on my previous trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hlov, I just came back yesterday from Japan vacation (Osaka and Tokyo).  So many records shops around, just search from google.  But Tower Records is good to visit as they have some few sales going and most of the red tag have 20% off.  Enjoy :)

• Like 1

Here’s a Nagoya Hard*off (near Sakae).

They have a sh*t load of other things (2nd hand) there but I thought I’d share the basics with you people.

Bon appetit and sorry for some dodgy pics.

so if Nagoya has this then Osako will too as it is a slightly larger city than Nagoya.

CC32D6EB-F347-46FE-92D3-44F31DB4BBD2.jpeg

6E3F9E93-E9F9-42BE-95C6-8F74B910A406.jpeg

AE87EA7B-A02A-4F01-B0B9-5CA5987B051E.jpeg

82F23DE0-2738-453B-A535-C3298D1864A6.jpeg

BF4ED201-20EB-421F-94B0-445602EFC31F.jpeg

38588009-5A81-40E9-92F7-180EDD20817C.jpeg

DE8CBCEC-D86E-46DF-9F30-84727F88410B.jpeg

67B4DBBE-B311-47BA-9EB5-F6FE17375EAD.jpeg

135FF6AE-B083-4375-B17B-80A5C263C869.jpeg

2C700CAE-7D68-45D3-807E-5F01B828D043.jpeg

6D318DD5-C7BF-4498-8550-4408C8626335.jpeg

AAF2A454-2BF4-4904-8015-2FEF10CB254B.jpeg

3A5B0E55-BD6B-4B51-B125-C1C836CA4F72.jpeg

Edited by 5L15
Explication at the bottom of post.

To figure out the rough prices above, take off 2 noughts from the YEN for the $ value in OZ $, then add 25% conversion rate.

so JPY 5400 = AUS$54 + 25% = AUS$73-$74

I can’t/don’t remember if the prices include gst which increased from 8%-10%??
  • Thanks 1