Led Zeppelin- gods or thieves ??

cafe67

All I will say on this subject is

Using parts of or wholesale copying a musical composition by another artist should be noted in the credits and pay the original artist a fee 

Some reasons copying happens 

In some cases it’s the fault of the manager or the record company using ownership of the material to be reused

A large proportion of material is not owned by the artist but by the record company - this often resulted in band break ups 

But the artist is blamed because they recorded the material 

Yes it happens in the music industry  sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident ( that accident could be by listening to music one’s parents played to one as a baby and unknowingly recreated an an adult ) 

The reason for is the finite amount of combinations a musical score can achieve - that is also pleasing to the human ear 

I also loathe it when a company buys the copyright or gains full ownership of a song - Just to start litigation against an artist for plagiarism to gain profit 

I will finish with saying that some artists have conceded to similarities even if it was by accident and have credited and compensated the original artist 

• Like 3

I have similar thoughts to @Full Range - the issue i sort of have with LZ was that they denied, stalled, obfuscated when they were asked about these 'influences' on their songs, Whole lotta love especially. It was different time then too but you know they could have just said 'yeah, we took that lyric, riff whatever' soz Willie/Muddy...

But LZ were always a bunch of interesting personalities - look at the UnLedded album, JPJ wasn't even asked to be a part of it, it was like JP & RP were LZ. Considering the album is called No Quarter and thats JPJ's song...

You can never have to too much ego with LZ :-)

Edited by rowbo
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gods or thieves, well, you could say the same about the Rolling Stones, they and quite a few other British bands of the 60's - 70's were covering old blues and also writing tunes in the same vein. At least it brought about renewed interest and overseas tours by the original blues artists who were all but forgotten in their US homeland. Led Zeppelin as well as having roots in blues, folk also played a large influence in their songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Denny

regards Ian

• Like 2

On 04/09/2019 at 7:07 AM, emesbee said:

Led Zeppelin were one of the bands I listened to a lot in my youth, and their music has stayed with me. Saw them live in Adelaide when I was 16 years old. Of course they are not 'gods' (what a silly description that is), but thieves? If one takes that line of argument, then just about any musician who plays the blues would be a thief. Pick almost any blues song you like and it will be fundamentally the same as every other blues song.

But really, who cares? I liked LZ then and still do now.

Exactly.

I really don't understand why the LZ haters have their knickers in a knot.

I was a huge fan back-in-the-day but I rarely listen these days, not because I don't like them anymore, but as with life, music is a process of never ending discovery and change. Surely that is one of the reasons we are all gathered here?

I would love to read even one example of a great rock/blues band from the 70's onward who did not make their own interpretations of The Blues. Music is evolution for the most part and it is much the better for that.

In any case and as I have posted before, their music is now part of  rock canon and I, for one, am immensely chuffed with that.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 4

< I was a huge fan back-in-the-day but I rarely listen these days, not because I don't like them anymore, but as with life, music is a process of never ending discovery and change. Surely that is one of the reasons we are all gathered here?

I would love to read even one example of a great rock/blues band from the 70's onward who did not make their own interpretations of The Blues. Music is evolution for the most part and it is much the better for that.

In any case and as I have posted before, their music is now part of  rock canon and I, for one, am immensely chuffed with that. >

Great to see Robert Plant not standing still and evolving too! Saw him a few years back with the Sensational Shape Shifters.

Going in a world music direction giving new flavours, even throwing in some old standards with a new twist.

Like this featuring Justin Adams and Juldeh Camara

• Like 1

Gods. I can forgive some "borrowing" in their compositions as they took the inspiration to another place musically. I'm also surprised how long it took before some actions were taken against them. Surely some people noticed the influence/similarity back in the day, I think that shows the attitudes back 50 years about "influencing & borrowing" music. 

Anyhoo, "Houses of the Holy" is my fave of the lot and pretty much a key album in my appreciation of music. Another great podcast from Jeremy Dylan (and Ash Naylor) about it here:

https://jeremydylan.net/podcast/e2cjsc8nhbgstahctk9kkcthzlpxs7