upgrading from Grado Prestige SR80 recommendations please

Hi all ... I'm currently listening to the Grados straight from the headphone jack of my ageing HP mini notebook (Windows 7 Starter).  Source files are mostly FLAC ripped from my CD collection and some downloaded HD albums. When listening on my Krix Equinox speakers the HP mini signal (again straight from the headphone jack) is sent through my early 1980s model NAD 7155 receiver. I plan to soon add some sort of DAC to the system (bypassing the DAC in the HP mini notebook).

I'm generally pretty happy with the sound of the Grados given the less than terrific signal source. My music taste is heavily biased towards contemporary jazz guitar and I enjoy a warm base weighted sound. My hope is that everything will improve once I decide on a decent DAC.

My main complaint about the Grados is that they are uncomfortable after an hour or so of listening. I've experimented with adjusting/bending the headband in all sorts of ways but nothing seems to help. I often read and wear glasses when listening. Foregoing the glasses does offer some slight improvement but nothing substantial.

Are there any suggestions for a supremely comfortable headphone? They don't need to be portable although something lightweight would be good. I don't have any particular preference for on or over ear ... closed back or open.  I have large ears so I suppose smallish over ear models may not work for me. Budget ceiling is $1000 ... although I could be convinced to stretch that somewhat if necessary. 

Edited by gregmacc
omitted budget

Batmaqn beat me to the punch with the suggestion of using different ear pads. While you are at Addicted To Audio, try the other Grados as well. If you like the Grado sound, difficult to move away.

thanks BATMAQN and Snoopy8 ... has anyone had a try of the replacement Grado ear pads? They look very similar to the stock ones on the S80 ... and $75 for a couple of pieces of foam ... let's just say I'm quietly sceptical ?

I have a pair of SR80 but have not used it for a while.  The pads do go soft and deteriorate over time, without you realising it.  I did try other pads including some Sennheiser ones (can't remember model number), not the Grado ones and they do change the sound slightly and comfort level can vary.  Yes, the Grado ones are expensive and may not work for you. Hence my suggestion to try the other Grado headphones while you are there. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

thanks BATMAQN and Snoopy8 ... has anyone had a try of the replacement Grado ear pads? They look very similar to the stock ones on the S80 ... and $75 for a couple of pieces of foam ... let's just say I'm quietly sceptical ?

Yes I've used them for years I'd never go back to the originals they are quite different to the S80 pads and no they aren't easy on the wallet perhaps you should do as Snoopy has suggested at least then you'll know what you're up for perhaps $75 may not seem that bad then.

Moot point I know your budget being $1000.

Edited by BATMAQN
  • Like 1

Thanks guys ... interesting ... If the problem can be solved by spending $75 instead of $1000 all good and well. I didn't realise ATA had a shop in Adelaide (relocating currently according to the website) ... Blackwood HiFi sell Grado too so I'll get over there and do some demo time.

3 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

Thanks guys ... interesting ... If the problem can be solved by spending $75 instead of $1000 all good and well. 

How about $24.30 including postage?  The Senn HD414 pads fit well,  are very comfortable and from memory improved the sound slightly.  

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

and from memory improved the sound slightly.  

Thanks Snoopy8 ... to confirm are you saying you used those pads on SR80?

Edited by gregmacc
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

Thanks Snoopy8 ... to confirm are you saying you used those pads on SR80?

Yes.  But please do a search on what else people use today.  It was a long time ago when I found that the HD414 pads worked for other people's SR80.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 3:20 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Yes.  But please do a search on what else people use today.  It was a long time ago when I found that the HD414 pads worked for other people's SR80.

I've used the 414 on my SR80 for years. They are a great improvement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

... thanks Greg ... yep, I'm gonna' go for a pair of those ☝️

Your original post prompted me to revive something long forgotten!  ** Thank you**.  And please provide some feedback, especially after a long listening session.  May be useful for others as well. 

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm ... so the Sennheiser 414 pads didn't work so well for me. I found them to be even less comfortable than the original pads on the SR80 in fact ... slightly smaller in diameter with barely perceptible added foam thickness resulted in increased discomfort.  Sound was virtually unchanged to my ears. I have auditioned the Sennheiser HD660s alongside my SR80 and prefer the Grados . I'm starting to accept that the Grado sound is something I've come to appreciate very much ... so I'm trying to organize a listen to the Grado SR325e or even something from the "Professional" range. Hopefully comfort levels improve for me with the higher end models. Although that does not seem to be the case for many people if a multitude of online reviews are anything to go by.

4 hours ago, gregmacc said:

hmmm ... so the Sennheiser 414 pads didn't work so well for me. I found them to be even less comfortable than the original pads on the SR80 in fact ... slightly smaller in diameter with barely perceptible added foam thickness resulted in increased discomfort.  Sound was virtually unchanged to my ears. I have auditioned the Sennheiser HD660s alongside my SR80 and prefer the Grados . I'm starting to accept that the Grado sound is something I've come to appreciate very much ... so I'm trying to organize a listen to the Grado SR325e or even something from the "Professional" range. Hopefully comfort levels improve for me with the higher end models. Although that does not seem to be the case for many people if a multitude of online reviews are anything to go by.

I have the SR325 with the big G Cush cups no complaints here just sayin. 

5 hours ago, gregmacc said:

Sorry the 414 pads did not work for you... :sad: