General Headphone Chat

On 14/05/2021 at 7:11 PM, Bengineer said:

Open back headphone. Under $800. Fairly well balanced but good deep bass. Primarily used for PS5 gaming and TB/movies.

Thoughts?

Beyer T1 Gen 2

Shure 1840

DT1990

HD660S

Beyer Amiron

?

I will send you my Audeze Penrose for you to try it. with your experience, you may shine some light to it (or turn off the few ones on)

56 minutes ago, GiullianSN said:

I will send you my Audeze Penrose for you to try it. with your experience, you may shine some light to it (or turn off the few ones on)

Nah it's ok bud. I'm going to go big open lightweight comfy something something. Senny, Beyer or Shure I guess.

Maybe a 660. Maybe the Shure 1840 or whatever it is. Maybe Beyer T1 Gen 3.

It'll have soft velour pads, fully open. Light on the head.

Just need to sell off all these pleb IEMs first that didn't make the cut :P

4 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Maybe a 660. Maybe the Shure 1840 or whatever it is. Maybe Beyer T1 Gen 3.

It'll have soft velour pads, fully open. Light on the head.

Just need to sell off all these pleb IEMs first that didn't make the cut :P

hahaha Your cut off line is too high. :)

Beyers are not that light. I heard that HD800S is perfect for gaming. (FPS gamings)

It's only good for it because it has a artificially wide soundstage and precise imaging. Makes pinpointing footsteps good.

Lacks the lower end to really be a good media headphone. Light though, has points there.

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, ColdsnapBry said:

Anyone have the stock ZMF cable (the sleeved braided one) and wants to trade for upgraded OFC one? The OFC one is super nice, but more Hifi setup friendly than desk friendly.

I have a nice hand made one by @Bengineer. ;)

2 hours ago, ColdsnapBry said:

Yes! We spoke, I'm waiting on my darn Bifrost II to arrive to my address in the states, then will ship the box over with the ZMF cable parts I have.

I 100% forgot you bought the DIY kit haha. Sounds good :)

• Like 1

Ahhh ….. cables. 

Naim Atom Headphone Edition. 

HD800S with DanaCable Lazuli. Now there’s a synergy. Warmth, lushness with an increased bass emphasis. Everything the HD800S needs. Transformed the headphone and much more enjoyable. 

Utopia with DanaCable Lazuli Reference Plus. Brings out a richness and musical warmth at the slight cost of some air and transparency. 

Moved onto the Chord Hugo TT2 to bring back some of that soundstage and air. Only thing is I don’t have a 4 pin XLR to Single end Danacable adapter. So adapter rolling between a Nordost Heimdall v Moon Silver Dragon v3. 

If you asked me before whether a simple pigtail can affect the sound I’d have scoffed. Now I’m a believer. 

45DAEDAC-0D10-4C4A-9B25-488AB131AAFD.jpeg

2A5DD305-1B18-4E2A-8EE8-EB80613D5D7D.jpeg

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any members on the Sunshine Coast with a decent headphone setup? I'm looking to invest in a pair of Audeze LCD 2/3, Focal Clear or Quad ERA-1 (or similar price/quality). There is nowhere up here to demo!! I'd love to listen to a few sets before investing!

23 hours ago, Scottyj11 said:

Are there any members on the Sunshine Coast with a decent headphone setup? I'm looking to invest in a pair of Audeze LCD 2/3, Focal Clear or Quad ERA-1 (or similar price/quality). There is nowhere up here to demo!! I'd love to listen to a few sets before investing!

Hey mate, have a look on the small hi-fi dealers, they usually have headphones as well. I know Indie Hi-Fi has ZMF and Meze. No Audeze, though, I wouldn’t get them anyway. :)

18 hours ago, Carl Perkins said:

Anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket headphone cables for the Shure 1540?

@Bengineer can make you one.

SparkoS Labs Aries 

@BlueOceanBoy

Have had this for a day now, on demo. Running it off, and A/B against, the Questyle CMA Twelve. DAC inside is a dual 4490 chip. Decent, but no $3000 standalone DAC.

I mostly agree with @PassionForSoundreview of it. It's very nuetral in presentation, without the dryness that comes from the THX based amps, and dime a dozen opamp sub $1000 amps everyone on ASR praises.

Build is good, with an exceptionally good volume and balance control system. Touchscreen is actually very responsive. Basic controls and settings, but responsive. For those with a gimp ear, easy balance control is awesome. Channel matching is perfect throughout.

I ran the Final D8000 easily on Low Gain (Medium and High available) at about 35%. So it should have enough power for most cans. Rated at 2(ish) Watts at 32 ohm.

It handles large dynamic swings with ease and very busy passages better than the CMA.

Thanks for the demo @peppy

Off to @barbz127 soon.

20210708_194803.jpg

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 3
  • Love 2