General Headphone Chat

1 hour ago, Tony B said:

So if you had to pick one to live with, what would it be?

Hey Tony - I think that comes down to a few criteria. What else is in the chain. Cost. Functionality. Preference for a certain level of detail or warmth. On the value front, A22. Lovely dual mono AKM 4499. Top end TT2 + HMS - detail and power. I am using both the A22 and Sonnet right now. So, probably Sonnet if I had to pick only one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Hey Tony - I think that comes down to a few criteria. What else is in the chain. Cost. Functionality. Preference for a certain level of detail or warmth. On the value front, A22. Lovely dual mono AKM 4499. Top end TT2 + HMS - detail and power. I am using both the A22 and Sonnet right now. So, probably Sonnet if I had to pick only one.

Neil, any chance of some comparisons (from what you can recall) between the morpheus and the matrix x sabre pro (which I currently have on my desktop) and hugo tt2 (which i have demoed) ideally without mscaler)?

cheers

peter t

8 hours ago, Ray H said:

Has anybody heard the Auris HA2 SF ?

8B2CE1E4-6C12-49F7-8C43-93DD048CB94C.jpeg

Auris wooden amps looks is starting to grow on me. When I first saw the Nirvana at Minidisc, I didn't think too much of it but up close and personal, it is very well constructed. The leather and wood combination is very classy after it settles in your mind. All 3 knobs are very smooth to turn. The amp is really not that heavy but not too light either. Even the Euterpe is very well constructed. As an all in one, it is very good. I don't have a chance to compare it side by side with my Questyle CMA 12 but it sounded great with LCD-4 and 3f, particularly the latter.

I wonder how the Headonia 2A3 sound like. ?

https://www.aurisaudio.shop/collections/headphone-amps/products/headonia-2a3

10 hours ago, Ccollins said:

Neil, any chance of some comparisons (from what you can recall) between the morpheus and the matrix x sabre pro (which I currently have on my desktop) and hugo tt2 (which i have demoed) ideally without mscaler)?

The Matrix is one of the best ESS interpretations I've come across. Analytical without glare. Great functionality and value. 

Sonnet brings the same level of detail, better instrument separation and more of an analogue feel. Generally, there's a trade-off with detail vs analogue but Sonnet nails it.

TT2 is all about the detail! It's precise like a scalpel that can make some tracks unpalatable. The fact it has a very powerful HP amp on board is a bonus. Adding the HMS, it scales well in terms of detail and imaging.

They are all well made and present those different signatures at three price points.

I had the Matrix with the HPA4 and HMS/TT2 was probably only 5% better - for headphones - and a lot more $$. Looks awesome though.

HPA4 - brilliant build quality, touch screen and intuitive interface. Powerful. One of the best volume pots I’ve ever used. Makes A-B so easy with 4 inputs. This is the most linear HP I've used. Each subtle but distinct volume change brings the same response across the whole range. Most amps have this sweet spot where everything comes together in terms of detail and musicality, often that can be at higher than safe levels. Something to do with the treble we hear apparently. In comparison, HPA4 can almost sound flat. It's not thin like some amps at low volume but flat as in linear. It presents the whole spectrum. When you increase the volume this response is linear, the whole spectrum goes up as one. Now, SS amps are better at this than tube amps in general but when you get used to it, it's really good. I like the HPA4 with LCD-3. You'd think it might be too much and an orthodynamic would be a better match and something like Utopia responds really well. But they (HPA4+LCD3) seem to work in parallel. The planar responding to the measured power. I'd love to hear LCD-4 or HE1Kse on it. DAC wise, I have used Matrix X Sabre Pro with HPA4 and it gave some awesome detail but I prefer an R2R DAC like Sonnet Morpheus. That brings detail and an analogue feel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Neil, I’m only just starting to get into Head Fi.

I have an in Innuos Zenith mkiii server, a matrix element x as a source also. I have a Kennerton Atlas headphone amp/DAC for lounge room with Focal Clear.

The main headphone equipment is Focal utopia, lcd 3f with the hpa4 and I’m thinking of the Auris 2f when it’s available also.

The only other thing will be a closed back headphone, but I’m not sure which one as yet.

Edited by Ray H

HPA4 is in my roadmap but it's 6 months away because I want to soak in my high end amps here first. I dare not call them mid-fi anymore otherwise @Bengineer will never make that speaker taps cable for me. ?

LCD-4 is in my roadmap too and maybe V590 to replace the v280. Another monster tube amp like the Nirvana or Mogwai Se and I'm done.

Or maybe the smurf Donald amp or a custom tube amp that uses these Telefunken EL11, EL12, EL12 spez in the picture below.

IMG-3261.JPG

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Thanks Neill, I’m only just starting to get into Head Fi.

I have an in Innuos Zenith mkiii server, a matrix element x as a source also. I have a Kennerton Atlas headphone amp/DAC for lounge room with Focal Clear.

The main headphone equipment is Focal utopia, lcd 3f with the hpa4 and I’m thinking of the Auris 2f when it’s available also.

The only other thing will be a closed back headphone, but I’m not sure which one as yet.

For someone starting that is all quality gear!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Beyer T5p Gen 2 be up for sale tonight friends.

What I want is a mint LCD-4. If you do whisper it to my ears only. I sold off a 4 months old Beyer T1.2 for $750 and includes a Beyer balance cable.

Someone buy my Questyle CMA 12 - fire sale because I want to buy a dedicated dac - maybe Denafrips Ares II or the Gustard A22 that Neil has. What other option for dac not more than $1500? It's a 2nd dac so no need to be super good because Yggdrasil is super good to me already. 

Did you know I was considering Ares I when I was getting Yggdrasil. Well I was actually wanting to buy Gumby but when I went to A2A, I heard Yggdrasil and the rest is history.

and now Neil suggest Gustard A22 which I’m very keen too because I love features ??

1 hour ago, xtiva2000 said:

After having the taste of what R2R DAC can do to your music especially sound stage,  Ares should be on top of your shopping liat

When  you get an Ares II,  the top of a wish list will be a Terminator Plus ?

Edited by Niktech
Grammar