DIY Corner Bracing A LP12

Does anyone have guidelines for DIY corner bracing a LP12 plinth?  Seems those that were on the Linn forum and Naim forum have disappeared.

Would like to know size of the triangles, recommended thickness (probably in ply), cut out sizes for the tonearm and motor corner bolt as well as what height from the top plate they get mounted.

I see there is also a steel corner brace fitted on some decks.

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Chris.

3 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

Does anyone have guidelines for DIY corner bracing a LP12 plinth?  Seems those that were on the Linn forum and Naim forum have disappeared.

Would like to know size of the triangles, recommended thickness (probably in ply), cut out sizes for the tonearm and motor corner bolt as well as what height from the top plate they get mounted.

I see there is also a steel corner brace fitted on some decks.

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Chris.

Chris, are you serious about improving the 'sound' of your plinth?

If so then, yes, maybe DIY corner braces will help a bit.  But to really do the job ... buy a Woodsong plinth!  :)

BTW, I collected my Number9 the other day.  After a slight hiccup - solved! - the 2 motors are now spinning.  Tomorrow night is calibration night!  :thumb:

Andy

@andyr well I'm serious about getting the best sound I can within monetary constraints :( .  I was looking at corner bracing to protect the plinth from coming away at the mitre joins in the Brisbane humidity aswell as being able to use the motor corner bolt.  Is the standard Linn plinth a bad performer?

How does the Linn plinths sound differ from the woodsong sound?

The deck from being a early eighties pre cirkus, spot welded subchassis, IttokLVII is turning into a mober bearing and subplatter, kore sub chassis, Lingo2, Ekos mk1, with new springs and grommets.  Still running a rebuilt Linn Asak cartridge.  It is never going to be a top spec LP12, but, all things are moving it in the right direction.

Corner bracing and corner bolt are the last of the Linn mods made through the last 30 years that haven't been, or more precisely, aren't to be addressed in the next couple of months.

Cheers, Chris.

P.S.  Congrats on the Number9.  I hope calibration works out well.

2 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

@andyr well I'm serious about getting the best sound I can within monetary constraints :( .  I was looking at corner bracing to protect the plinth from coming away at the mitre joins in the Brisbane humidity as well as being able to use the motor corner bolt.

Very good idea, Chris.  :thumb:

2 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

Is the standard Linn plinth a bad performer?

How does the Linn plinths sound differ from the woodsong sound?

No, a Linn plinth is not a 'bad performer' - simply IMO it is utilitarian … instead of being a work of art,  :)

Plinths made from different woods make the LP12 have a different sound.  So there is no "Woodsong sound".  Unfortunately, with the LP12 Forum now disappeared, you can't go back through the plinth posts to pick up what people said about 'this' plinth vs. 'that' plinth.  :(  However, you could search the leJonkleau forum for plinth discussions.

Andy

17 hours ago, Peter-C said:

You can also check the old Linn forum through web.archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150906070115/http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=8

@PeterC are you able to search?  Seems I can't nor log in, but, then I don't know if I was ever a member of the Linn forum or just read posts.

1 hour ago, andyr said:

No, a Linn plinth is not a 'bad performer' - simply IMO it is utilitarian … instead of being a work of art,  :)

Andy

@andyr thanks for qualifying your comment.  I am actually very fond of the fluted afromosia plinth.  Works of art aren't my priority with the increased costs of a "work of art" compared with a functioning and "pretty item" :)

When I had my four, quad II's rebuilt by Elson Silva I had the option of a full rebuild including repainting the chassis, mains transformer, choke and output transformer, but, given it was not going to improve the sound I saved the monies that was required (around $500 each for the aesthetics).  But, at least I can sort of hide them away.

My LP12 plinth is in very good condition and IMO looks like an LP12 should, obviously for that era.  No one will see what the important bits look like that are far from the mid 80's :hyper:

P.S.  I have another plinth of early mid 80's and everything that comes off the main unit is to be used to create a "standard" early 80's pre cirkus LP12.  I am very interested in being able to relive what the deck use to be.  The fear is I may prefer the warmth, pace and rhythm that many like of the late pre cirkus era. 

9 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

@PeterC are you able to search?  Seems I can't nor log in, but, then I don't know if I was ever a member of the Linn forum or just read posts.

Sorry Chris, seems like they only saved the first half dozen pages of the LP12 threads...bummer. i was a member but can't log in either.

Below is the underside of my 2016 linn rosenut plinth. You can get an idea of the size of the corner braces. I have the motor corner bolt and switch corner bolt as well.

IMG_1319.JPG

I looked into corner bracing myself but decided I didn't need it as what I already had was more than sufficient. 

When I purchased my LP12, the plinth was the most important thing to me - it had to be aesthetically pleasing and be strong. Admittedly this was superficial as I had no idea what the plinth was like inside. All I knew was that it was an original 1976 plinth.

When I stripped the LP12 to go Mober, the corner bracing I decided was really not necessary for me. It had little braces already in place, the top plate adds obvious strength to keep it square as too the cross beam in the sub chassis. Adding further bracing would be tinkering for tinkering's sake and could possible introduce sonic issues if not done properly.

Admittedly I live in Melbourne and do not have the climate issues the OP may have. 

Here is a pic of the stripped plinth when I did the rebuild, close up of corner bracing and final product.

20181218_203004_resized_1.thumb.jpg.70dedcc6eabc0d337412e67e334c5e40.jpg

20181218_203011_resized.thumb.jpg.833decff839b9125fdd3bea55b9a943a.jpg

20190323_071309_resized.thumb.jpg.d7cc67ab257790a88eab679c5e97113d.jpg

• Like 1