The wonderful NBN.

48 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Yes, I found it interesting.  We should have spent the $72 million odd and built the proper thing, then we wouldn't have to consider writing down $20 million of the value of the cruddy half-baked thing we got.

It wouldn't be so hard to stomach if we were talking $millions, but it's actually $Billions.

The nation has Mr Broadband and the LNP/IPA to thank for this bastard act of treachery.

Who will hold them to account?

22 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Yes, I found it interesting.  We should have spent the $72 million odd and built the proper thing, then we wouldn't have to consider writing down $20 million of the value of the cruddy half-baked thing we got.

The Libs are the best economic managers though. They’ll fix it no sweat.

Today we released our sixth Measuring Broadband Australia report on NBN fixed-line broadband speeds and performance.

Broadband speeds slowed slightly during the busy evening hours but overall results continue to be good. The report also shows that 12.4 per cent of consumers continue to experience underperforming services that rarely come close to matching their maximum plan speed.

ACCC Chair Rod Sims said, “We now want to see more action from NBN Co and retail service providers (RSPs) to help the more than one in ten connections that simply do not perform to their plan speed.”

NBN fixed line residential services provided average busy hour download speeds ranging from 85.3 Mbps for 100/40 Mbps services to 10.7 Mbps for 12/1 Mbps services. In comparison, the average busy hour speed from legacy ADSL services was 7.8 Mbps.

“It is very important that those consumers not yet wanting to pay for faster speeds can still gain access to a 12/1 plan at prices that had been available for ADSL services,” Mr Sims said.

The latest report is the first to contain download speed results by state and territory. Tasmania had the highest download speeds, while the Australian Capital Territory and Western Australia had the highest rates of underperforming services and, therefore, the slowest average busy hour download speeds. The report also contains, for the first time, download speed results for Fibre to the Curb connections.

Received today from the ACCC. The ACCC are being quite generous. Let's call it how it is, and put the the 12.4% in people terms. 

1 in every 8 NBN households are buying something that rarely comes close to matching their maximum plan speed.

Guest Karl Rand

I haven’t read this entire thread so forgive me if I’m prattling on about something already covered. My pet hate with NBN is the amount of unannounced down-time when all connection is lost for days here in Tasmania. What really adds insult to injury is no matter now many days one is denied access to NBN service providers still charge for an entire months usage. How is this legal? 

Edited by Karl Rand

On 05/08/2019 at 7:49 AM, soundbyte said:

"While it wouldn't affect the underlying cash balance — the commonly reported budget measure — a loss of that magnitude couldn't be ignored. Hence the Government's determination to resist any such move."

It is less about the budget position (we have a good one) .... and much much much more about the Liberal government needing to admit that it is their fault ... and that "fast, affordable, sooner" was never going to be anything of the sort.

Instead of 93% of the country having access to 1gbs services .... we have 1/3 with 1gbps .... 1/3 with 100mbps .... and 1/3 "up to" 100mbps.

Affordable... implied cheaper than the other mob.   Probably wasn't.... at least not much.

Sooner.   Will be finished at the same time as the original plan... maybe.

It's more expensive than the old ADSL service it replaced, and, at least in the experience of your columnist, it's often no faster.

This is false... and disappointing from the ABC.

ADSL connections cannot work faster than ~20mbps down and 1mbps up.

NBN fixed-line services must not work slower than 25mbps down and 5mbps up.

A quick look on finder.com.au says that ADSL with no dial tone (just internet) and unlimited data costs ~$60 per month .... and NBN (25mbps) with unlimited data costs ......  You can guess the answer (hint:  the same).

Prices don't compare that unfavourably to the USA ..... although speeds in America vary WILDLY depending on where you live.  (prices are reasonably constant though ..... so you pay $50 for 25 mbps some places and for 250mbps others).

On 07/08/2019 at 11:44 AM, Karl Rand said:

I haven’t read this entire thread so forgive me if I’m prattling on about something already covered. My pet hate with NBN is the amount of unannounced down-time when all connection is lost for days here in Tasmania.

This is your ISPs fault.

It is not the NBN.

On 07/08/2019 at 11:44 AM, Karl Rand said:

What really adds insult to injury is no matter now many days one is denied access to NBN service providers still charge for an entire months usage. How is this legal? 

Talk to your ISP.   They should offer you something.

This has been the case since well before NBN   (ISPs charing you a full month, even when their service was unreliable)

Guest Karl Rand
46 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

This is your ISPs fault.

It is not the NBN.

Since when did my ISP carry out modifications and repairs to the local NBN wireless transmitter?

I asked a friend,  a senior server technician with Telstra, to look into this. He’s told me the problems I’ve had were triggered by NBN and the in the several cases I quoted the service provider (not Telstra) were not notified by NBN of planned outages. 

Anyhow, I still want to know how it’s legal to charge for a service that’s not being provided either by my ISP or the NBN.

Given mobile service out here in the Tasmania sticks is iffy to say the least and my ‘landline’ goes over my wireless broadband such outages are potentially dangerous. Good thing my neighbour runs a shortwave rig!

Edited by Karl Rand

13 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

Since when did my ISP carry out modifications and repairs to the local NBN wireless transmitter?

I see.

Sorry, I had assumed you were not talking about isolated faults.... and more about the NBN in general here.

ISPs in Tasmania have a tough time, as they like to cut corners (getting bandwidth over here is more expensive).

He’s told me the problems I’ve had were triggered by NBN and the in the several cases I quoted the service provider (not Telstra) were not notified by NBN of planned outages. 

Interesting and surprising.

If your ISP has an accepted fault ticket with their wholesale carrier (NBN in this instance) .... then, they'll get getting $ relief ....  they should really be giving you some relief on your monthlies too.

Anyhow, I still want to know how it’s legal to charge for a service that’s not being provided either by my ISP or the NBN.

Check your contract.

Complain to the TIO.

ISPs like to push the boundaries of what is fair (or even legal) as their margins are razor thin.   If a customer is unprofitable, then it is usually better for them to leave - so a lot of the time they care about you a lot less than you might imagine

Given mobile service out here in the Tasmania sticks is iffy to say the least and my ‘landline’ goes over my wireless broadband such outages are potentially dangerous. 

Have you looked into having a phone service delivered via other methods?

You can often keep your copper phone line .... or you can get a "landline" phone delivered over cellular.

Guest Karl Rand
On 11/08/2019 at 11:51 AM, davewantsmoore said:

I see.

Sorry, I had assumed you were not talking about isolated faults.... and more about the NBN in general here.

ISPs in Tasmania have a tough time, as they like to cut corners (getting bandwidth over here is more expensive).

Interesting and surprising.

If your ISP has an accepted fault ticket with their wholesale carrier (NBN in this instance) .... then, they'll get getting $ relief ....  they should really be giving you some relief on your monthlies too.

Check your contract.

Complain to the TIO.

ISPs like to push the boundaries of what is fair (or even legal) as their margins are razor thin.   If a customer is unprofitable, then it is usually better for them to leave - so a lot of the time they care about you a lot less than you might imagine

Have you looked into having a phone service delivered via other methods?

You can often keep your copper phone line .... or you can get a "landline" phone delivered over cellular.

The last time the copper land line went down here is was down for 11 days. I spoke to the blokes digging it up. In their opion the whole run for the 25kms to the local exchange should have been replaced decades ago. There instructions were to ‘just patch it up’.

Not to worry, if I get in real trouble the ham radio guys next door will get through for me. Welcome to 21st century Australia.

Interesting to learn ISPs margins are razor thin. Is it the same in other countries?

Edited by Karl Rand

23 hours ago, Karl Rand said:

Interesting to learn ISPs margins are razor thin. Is it the same in other countries?

Generally, yes.

A POTS voice call over bodged up copper will be fine.

If I liked a landline, and there was still copper to my house .... then I'd definitely just get a POTS service from someone.

.... or a decently sized antenna on your house for cellular ....  assuming you only live in the middle of nowhere, and not a long long way past the middle of nowhere  ;) 

Guest Karl Rand
2 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Unfortunately, sometimes people 'play the man', not the issue

Maybe I’m missing something here but it would be helpful if moderators gave some indication of what form of naughtiness was ringing alarm bells. It might give perpetrators a chance to reform.

43 minutes ago, Karl Rand said:

Maybe I’m missing something here but it would be helpful if moderators gave some indication of what form of naughtiness was ringing alarm bells. It might give perpetrators a chance to reform.

Karl, mods have no (moderator) interest in threads that keep within the posting guidelines. Sometimes, threads become polarised and run the risk of ad hominem attacks. Usually, this is a very small minority of the SNA active posters but it derails threads and creates discord. It usually ends up with the thread being closed completely. A while ago we started labelling threads that either were at risk because of a small number of posts, or threads that fitted particular patterns - ie contentious topics. This has reduced the number of disruptive posts and enabled threads to remain open.

If ever anyone is unsure about an existing post or their own potential post, please re-read the guidelines, alternatively check with a mod.