Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Another tip i like to mention is to tilt the speaker forward so than it is 90 degree to the listener ear height....

If your ear level is lower then the middle point height of the planer , top and bottom portion of the speaker arrives your ear at different timing cause smearing imaging, tilt it forward help to tighten up the imaging a lot, before I do this soundstage is good but imaging not as pin point as traditional point source speaker, now imaging snap into focus , and everything sound so much lifelike.

You can use blue Tae to paste a small mirror/CD at the center height of the speaker tilt forward until you saw your face at the CD reflection to decide how much angle to tilt.

66644322_10157287605772296_1785630591727697920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQkek1WeLEAulbTO3ChPO3RoB9M60TUmt3kVBGTadd0iYkFJljxI00euwng57P_CiXI&_nc_ht=scontent.fsin4-1.fna&oh=6b806e67350eee4d819feca44d86647f&oe=5DB4B261

67165108_10157287639907296_27832466114871296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkWRsiJ7jrqszshL9YsLO24GXH0ofkvi8NpbYwMfIU6zNrgQ85pgGK7MOhgWhYE4lI&_nc_ht=scontent.fsin4-1.fna&oh=e758b62921146ca48f760f4ee485a4f5&oe=5DAF09C9

66533698_10157287605782296_8789076093618356224_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQnPA9dzA10tqOO_yX99IJbMbSNCwEdnPn-hszsxFL9FNgr4ohi1d4dbtrauUlBRK9A&_nc_ht=scontent.fsin4-1.fna&oh=a5739c77f590b0cb4ddf7ac43a05d04d&oe=5DC10392

Guest Music monster

Bigdog rj doesn’t use any streaming devices and I don’t either. We both perfer the physical product. I don’t know about bigdog but I have found the quality of streaming to be inferior. A  few audiophile friends that have tried it agree with me. They still download but use lp or sacd as there reference and streaming just for fun,not serious listening. Gary the music monster ?

1 hour ago, Music monster said:

Bigdog rj doesn’t use any streaming devices and I don’t either. We both perfer the physical product. I don’t know about bigdog but I have found the quality of streaming to be inferior. A  few audiophile friends that have tried it agree with me. They still download but use lp or sacd as there reference and streaming just for fun,not serious listening. Gary the music monster ?

I’m with GTMM on this one ?

hmmm interesting... I would suggest that your speakers may not have been leveled in the first place and hence not getting that pin point imaging. your tweak may have inadvertently help it level.

Incorrect, ideally your ear height should be at the middle height of the planer speaker so that the upper and lower portion will reach your ear at same timing.

66763394_10157289052467296_503866059720228864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQmVdb7QnUf3FyWmxZL5x9qusWow-yEQ5Cm9ZWmNnd9RTVRDYQndMsyEdgul4vLvc3w&_nc_ht=scontent.fsin4-1.fna&oh=6d1693b6c0940d263d0de4eb27ffb6a4&oe=5DB8ABE8

when it is level right angle 90degree to the floor and your listening height is Not right in the middle of upper and lower of the panel  , for example, seating lower than the middle height, the lower portion of the speaker will reach your ear earlier than the upper portion, when you tilt it forward, timing is corrected , sound archor have a stand that able to tilt the Maggie forward, you may like to check it out

http://soundanchors.com/products/2078/mg-36-37

Yes, correct as a means of convenience and access to a wide array of music by flipping through a screen is fantastic! It is obviously the future and where things are headed, especially in the digital domain we live in.

However, as a preference, to me it seems very "cold" like as if the soul has been taken away... I also don't feel that sort of music format is organic any more. It's like a "driver-less" car. I actually prefer to just drive, not let some robot or computer take over.

Perhaps it's more accurate and has every bit of nuance and detail, there's no denying that since nothing is spinning, zero jitter, just pure binary / bits and encoding carried out by a top DAC, seems technologically advanced.

I still prefer holding something and whiles the tunes are playing reading the inner covers, liner notes and the history / making of the album. It just feels more organic and realistic. Whenever that stylus touches down on the LP spinning, there's just something magical in those grooves. Distortion, surface noise, who cares, the musicality is just marvellous! 

Similarly when holding a top line digital recording on SACD or one of those rare UDC FIM discs, just looking at it, you know straight away this is going to be something special. When that tray closes, tracks have been loaded up and the play button is hit- oh boy! What purity in reproduction! 

I guess I'm too old fashioned, I don't know... But streaming hasn't quite caught my "attention & engagement" as yet.

I'm sure those who do enjoy that particular format will be very pleased with the results, and by all means do so! As long as you're absolutely enjoying your music, that's all that matters. 

Cheers, RJ ?

• Like 2

That’s interesting. I will try the tilting forward on the 3.7 also.

I’ve always come to conclusion that Maggie’s will never have pin point focus like regular dynamic Drivers as it’s a line source ever since the 1.7.

Also I seem to get very good focus of centre vocals with sufficient toe in.... but stage width collapses in that case. Like listening to headphones.

Any ideas on the amount of toe-in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, genkifd said:

Guys where can you listen to Magnepans in Melbourne? especially the 20.7 and the 3.7.

thanks

Short answer is you can’t ..... in a retail sense at least. There are no Maggie retailers in Melb. Best bet is probably to ask nicely here, for a SNA member to offer a listen. Failing that, go to McLeans in Gosford in NSW 

That’s interesting. I will try the tilting forward on the 3.7 also.

I’ve always come to conclusion that Maggie’s will never have pin point focus like regular dynamic Drivers as it’s a line source ever since the 1.7.

Also I seem to get very good focus of centre vocals with sufficient toe in.... but stage width collapses in that case. Like listening to headphones.

Any ideas on the amount of toe-in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro IMHO speaker placement cannot solve every problem, room acoustic play a important role too, with proper acoustics treatment sometimes it is much easy to get what we want without compromise this or that , in my room I can hear very clearly the different between different speaker position and toe in angle, but almost all are very acceptable as Long as the speaker is around the sweet spot area...

think about it , in a room if change a little toe in angle can make a huge difference in sound and imaging/soundstage, than the listener might need to clamp their head to get the best sound if they want to hear good sound already... ;D

Guest Music monster

Should be plenty of pre,power combos around 10 grand that can drive magnapans especially if you looking at second hand. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

3 minutes ago, DMax said:

SNA members emoji14.png

Thats how I got a listen when I was looking to buy Maggie’s. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, DMax said:

@ Music monster are you using Subwoofers with your 30.7s?

No definitely not.The bass is full, deep, fast and quite powerful if it’s recorded on the disc. Some cds over power my room with bass so no need for any subwoofers. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
4 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Why are Maggie models all x.7 ?

Not sure I guess it’s just a easy way to keep  track of models. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster