I’m on the lookout for a new USB dac.

have a decent library of 16/44 cd rips but really good DSD capability is essential - I’m a convert and now have a pretty substantial collection. I use Audivarna.

I was pretty much decided on a Qutest - I’ve had a short audition with one and liked it, but wasn’t able to have a good listen to it with DSD at the time. 

Recently I’ve read some negative stuff about it’s ability to play native DSD. Apparently it converts it to PCM for playback. In the real world does this matter in terms of SQ? 

Anybody have any experience or opinion on this?

Russ I'm no expert but why wouldn't you just buy a DAC that you enjoy flavour wise isn't that more important than kowtowing to a format I'm just saying, not trying to start a war of words mate? 

Both my DAC's are getting long in the tooth in fact one of them is the Octave (a pity your's died) they both still sound good to me perhaps I'm just content.

• Like 5

Yes, that’s the plan - to find something I like. I’m not a flipper - I tend to find things I like and keep them for ages so that’s why Im doing due diligence in this confusing and argumentative world of dacs. 

I have no loyalty to files or formats - I’ve got and enjoy everything from Tidal to vinyl.  But I have recently acquired a collection of DSDs - a lot of them are double ups on my own cd rips and I find them significantly better. While I enjoyed cd rips on my Octave for years DSD even on my little cheapie Topping dac has got me wanting more. 

Edited by buddyev

2 hours ago, buddyev said:

In the real world does this matter in terms of SQ?

It doesn't need to.   Generalisations about it being bad are usually misguided.

For a DAC which did do a poor job of converting DSD to PCM....  an option is to have the player convert the DSD to PCM first (assuming that software can do a better job than the limited logic inside the DAC)

AFAIK Audirvana can do this.

• Like 1

Yes , happy to use software for conversion. I use Audivarna at the moment to upsample pcm and to convert to dsd. The jury is out for me whether this is better - I think it is. 

For all the hand wringing around .... DSD or PCM each are able to provide a "no better than the other" representation of audio.

Certain DACs will work better playing one over the other.    Many things recorded with/for, or remastered for, DSD/SACD have had more care or production values applied than your usual recording ... and so can sound relatively excellent.   The same can be said for things recorded in/for PCM, of course.

• Like 3

Thanks for that, Dave. Do you have an opinion on Chord dacs?

I’m auditioning a few dacs this next few weeks and plan on buying something soon. I was hoping something would come up in the classifieds but it’s been pretty lean for dacs recently.

Edited by buddyev

3 minutes ago, pulinap said:

How the hellareya Puli?

Reading a bit about that denafrips today - it gets rave reviews. If it was up the road I’d   give it a go. 

Edited by buddyev

1 minute ago, buddyev said:

Reading a bit about that denafrips today - it gets rave reviews. If it was up the road I’d   give it a go. 

And if it doesn't work out....you can always donate it to me...I am just a short tram ride away...:)

1 minute ago, pulinap said:

And if it doesn't work out....you can always donate it to me...I am just a short tram ride away...:)

Welfare dependency stunts aspiration - I would to want to do that. You can come and have a listen, though.

Just now, buddyev said:

Welfare dependency stunts aspiration - I would to want to do that. You can come and have a listen, though.

I knew you were a laissez faire capitalist...!

It won't be long, we, the downtrodden take pictchforks and start marching up the Richmond hill....that dac may be the only thing between you and the lynching mob.....?

12 minutes ago, pulinap said:

I knew you were a laissez faire capitalist...!

It won't be long, we, the downtrodden take pictchforks and start marching up the Richmond hill....that dac may be the only thing between you and the lynching mob.....?

Problem is that mob is more likely to be Young Liberals hunting down Greens.

Guest Misterioso
1 hour ago, buddyev said:

was hoping something would come up in the classifieds but it’s been pretty lean for dacs recently.

Hmm, someone sold a $10k Meitner for $2750... was surprised that you were not interested.

Edited by Misterioso

43 minutes ago, Plattenspieler said:

Hmm, someone sold a $10k Meitner for $2750... was surprised that you were not interested.

Yes, I know. I had a lot going on at the time and probably wasn’t paying proper attention. Plus I was just starting my research for a new dac then and didn’t really know what I was looking for. 

Edited by buddyev

• 2 weeks later...

Why not take a look at the Gieseler range of DAC's. The Gross DAC will do DSD512 and remains the best I've heard to date. 

I do have some others that sound very nice though none is as the tappingly musical as the Gieseler Gross. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Clay is a really lovely bloke to deal with too.

Probably the only thing stopping the DAC from being perfect is lack of buttons on the front for selecting sources without the remote. This is a small gripe though. It's more due to my habit of misplacing the remote.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Why not take a look at the Gieseler range of DAC's. The Gross DAC will do DSD512 and remains the best I've heard to date. 

I do have some others that sound very nice though none is as the tappingly musical as the Gieseler Gross. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Clay is a really lovely bloke to deal with too.

Probably the only thing stopping the DAC from being perfect is lack of buttons on the front for selecting sources without the remote. This is a small gripe though. It's more due to my habit of misplacing the remote.

That is all very good to hear — I ordered a Gros last week.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...