China Made Audiophile Speakers

Anyone made purchases before or have any experience with these speakers?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Queenway-6-5-inch-Scan-speak-D2904-710003-Neodymium-tweeter-18WU8741-floor-landing-speaker-DIY/1070003_32889550085.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.64.b89171d8iCHUvp

http://www.hifi-elite.com/onlyforbea.htm

Elite Asethet

They are using the same scanspeak drivers in other western brands but cost a fraction of the price.

Edited by Finkdachef

I have checked out those speakers before though ended up getting two other pairs of Chinese speakers.

Aurum Cantus F620 - 89db 4ohm with ribbon tweeters -  Used in my main living room system. Spectacular though seem to respond well to a bit of power so solid state amplification for these. When fed sufficient power these have a flat response with deep and tight bass and sparkling, airy highs.

IMG_20180609_114818_HDR.thumb.jpg.16ca792eeb75c7a7f32d422b2259bd44.jpg

Oatlon W2-1000F (aka Kingprints W2-1000F) - 97db 4ohm speakers with dual 10" drivers for bass & mids, horn tweeter - works extremely well with my 45WPC Oldchen KT88-K3 amp. Far better than the Aurum Cantus F620 speakers with that amp.  Flat frequency response,  less very natural highs, great mids and incredible bass. Seems to get along extremely well with Western Electric 11GA tinned copper speaker wire,  which makes it more dynamic and punchy than it is with say, Van Damme LC-OFC copper cable. Stunning speakers to look at too

IMG_20180624_163948_HDR.thumb.jpg.a512b474950c911433d33832681e4cdb.jpg

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Finkdachef said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Queenway-6-5-inch-Scan-speak-D2904-710003-Neodymium-tweeter-18WU8741-floor-landing-speaker-DIY/1070003_32889550085.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.64.b89171d8iCHUvp

Elite Asethet

They are using the same scanspeak drivers in other western brands but cost a fraction of the price.

If they have used original Scanspeak drivers and sorted crossover design etc it could be a good deal. The tweeters are about $330 and woofers $370 each so $1400 worth to a DIYer but to a speaker manufacturer much less so with cheap Chinese labour costs quite possible. $600 delivery from China so all up $3k for floorstanders and what can you get for that elsewhere? 

Pictures of Scanspeak drivers below with the Illuminator woofer of particular note

C5182302-1B54-4CD9-BA35-B177A0ECBC71.jpeg

53BE042C-F38C-4B71-AA0A-F69DDB07A2D8.jpeg

22D14254-6340-4EE8-AD2E-9226F8BBCB06.jpeg

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

I run a pair of the Elite Aesthet 1 Mk 2 speakers in my system. They are the best standmounts that I’ve owned in a list which includes Dynaudio, Lenehan, Focus Audio, Usher and others. 

The build quality is fantastic and they sound superb! 

I was fortunate to buy them locally, so I didn’t need to import them myself. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

@pete_mac You have had those Elite's in your system for some years now, haven't you?

Definitely a positive sign, and they must like the Sansui's :thumb:

Indeed, nearly four years, and that’s a record for me. Very much content with what these beasties have to offer. 

• Like 3

When it comes to conventional speakers, as opposed to say, electrostats, you need to listen to the speaker.

Not some reviewer or an on line 'expert'.

I was absolutely amazed at how good the Legend speakers were at last year's HiFi show.

Fantastic value also!!

Why buy a pig in a poke when you can listen!!

Just something to think about.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

• Like 2

Still very tempting at least on paper if one places value on driver component value compared to what are being used in other commercial speaker choice at as low as 1/4 the driver value and value sold at 2-5 times the rrp. This scenario has been repeated ten years ago in Proac Response 2.5 floorstander copies sold at $2k vs the original $10k and the clone sounded very good.

Picture of Elites below 

181DD2BB-A83D-46DD-8770-E0030285DAE5.jpeg

2 hours ago, BruceS said:

When it comes to conventional speakers, as opposed to say, electrostats, you need to listen to the speaker.

Not some reviewer or an on line 'expert'.

I was absolutely amazed at how good the Legend speakers were at last year's HiFi show.

Fantastic value also!!

Why buy a pig in a poke when you can listen!!

Just something to think about.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

Hope you’re not having a crack at the so-called ‘on-line experts’ who are only trying to help via this thread? ;) hehe

My interest is piqued re: why electrostats are exempt from this rule? 

42 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Still very tempting at least on paper if one places value on driver component value compared to what are being used in other commercial speaker choice at as low as 1/4 the driver value and value sold at 2-5 times the rrp. This scenario has been repeated ten years ago in Proac Response 2.5 floorstander copies sold at $2k vs the original $10k and the clone sounded very good.

Picture of Elites below 

181DD2BB-A83D-46DD-8770-E0030285DAE5.jpeg

That’s a pic from my system! :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Finkdachef said:

Elite Asethet

Would they be genuine scanspeak etc drivers or chinese copies ??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Speaking from experience re: the Elite Aesthet 1s that I own, the tweeters are genuine, but a recent inspection and subsequent research revealed that the woofers are actually the Usher 8945.

Apart from the false advertising element, this is not necessarily a bad thing at all - these woofers are basically Scanspeak clones which measure superbly according to info on the ‘net. 

Edit: sorry, I missed the question re: Scanspeak drivers in the OP, otherwise I would have answered this earlier.

Edited by pete_mac

14 hours ago, Al.M said:

If they have used original Scanspeak drivers and sorted crossover design etc it could be a good deal. The tweeters are about $330 and woofers $370 each so $1400 worth to a DIYer but to a speaker manufacturer much less so with cheap Chinese labour costs quite possible. $600 delivery from China so all up $3k for floorstanders and what can you get for that elsewhere? 

Pictures of Scanspeak drivers below with the Illuminator woofer of particular note

C5182302-1B54-4CD9-BA35-B177A0ECBC71.jpeg

53BE042C-F38C-4B71-AA0A-F69DDB07A2D8.jpeg

22D14254-6340-4EE8-AD2E-9226F8BBCB06.jpeg

This model looks like a clone of one of Fritzspeaker's floor stander using the same scan speak drivers. Fritz are retailing those for at least 4-5k USD. For sure they are using genuine scanspeak parts but nothing is known about the built quality and type of internal transistor parts are being used. 

http://www.fritzspeakers.com/custom_finishes.asp

The elite asethets are a much safer bet. Besides Pete_mac, there are other superb reviews

(translated from Chinese) and those are quite well known speakers in the Chinese market.

Currently, I own a pair of Dynaudios excite x12 and am looking for a reasonable upgrade without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Speaking from experience re: the Elite Aesthet 1s that I own, the tweeters are genuine, but a recent inspection and subsequent research revealed that the woofers are actually the Usher 8945.

Apart from the false advertising element, this is not necessarily a bad thing at all - these woofers are basically Scanspeak clones which measure superbly according to info on the ‘net. 

Edit: sorry, I missed the question re: Scanspeak drivers in the OP, otherwise I would have answered this earlier.

Ahh i was looking at the photo of the light wood ztandmount and thought the woofer looked like what i had   in my old usher be718 and md-1 . Thanks for the clarification 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Ahh i was looking at the photo of the light wood ztandmount and thought the woofer looked like what i had   in my old usher be718 and md-1 . Thanks for the clarification 

Good spotting!!

The Usher drivers are virtually identical to the Scanspeak 18W/8545 drivers i.e. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-woofers-6-7/scanspeak-classic-18w/8545-01-7-mid-woofer-paper-cone/

It was only when I started looking closer at the cast woofer basket and speaker terminals that I noticed the slight variations. 

Edited by pete_mac

Why are electrostats exempt from the usual speaker listen process?

Good question!!

Seems to me that conventional speakers have an amazing variation in 'sound'.

Hey, some cone speaker can sound a little like an electrostatic but just a little!!

Bye and large electrostats have a very distinctive sound that you either like or you don't.

Rephrasing, each electrostatic speaker, from one brand to the next has a very small variation in sound whereas cone speakers have a very large variation in sound between brands and models.

Can be specific if you really want.

I am an electrostatic owner but I make it my business to listen to all the different speakers when I go to the HIFi show.

Hey, I will be doing exactly that next week!!

Bruce

Oh, by the way was not having a poke at anyone.

But, how can a stranger on line know what you like?

How can anyone anywhere know what sounds good to you?

Same goes for the best speaker reviewer in the world, rowdies he know what sounds good to you?

Depends on the individual person and also on the music that you like!

Can't help thinking of a recent HiFi show where I asked a for my 'test' CD (multi part acapella music) to be played through a very high profile expensive speaker.

Sounded terrible and the guy was visibly embarrassed when he returned my CD.

No pokes just some observations.

Bruce

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BruceS said:

Oh, by the way was not having a poke at anyone.

But, how can a stranger on line know what you like?

How can anyone anywhere know what sounds good to you?

Same goes for the best speaker reviewer in the world, rowdies he know what sounds good to you?

Depends on the individual person and also on the music that you like!

Can't help thinking of a recent HiFi show where I asked a for my 'test' CD (multi part acapella music) to be played through a very high profile expensive speaker.

Sounded terrible and the guy was visibly embarrassed when he returned my CD.

No pokes just some observations.

Bruce

I understand where you’re coming from, and I generally agree - speakers are best heard before buying if possible. We all have different ears and preferences. 

However... this isn’t always achievable, and unless you hear them in your actual system and room, any pre-purchase listen is only a fair guesstimation of how they will actually sound in your room, and with your gear. The difference between a showroom and your room is often enormous! 

I’d be inclined to throw ‘stats into the same basket as any other speaker though - you should endeavor to hear them before committing your coin. They aren’t for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cafe67 said:

I was thinking the same .Anything imported to China comes with high import duty.To then export for that price should be treated with caution .Even if fakes, you may not even hear any difference as China makes some great speakers....

Stump[

1 minute ago, Gryffles said:

Ah, I have strong doubt @Finkdachef that parts are genuine

This model seems too good to be true. I am still waiting for their reply on the crossover parts used and more photos of the finished product.

There is no doubt about the quality of the elite asethets as it has been around for awhile and there are quite a number of satisfied users.