What's the update - how's the amp going - anything to report in terms of initial diagnosis etc...:frantics:
All vfets confirmed alive and kicking[emoji4]
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, The Fez said:

What's happening? Require an update!! :hyper: 

It's being carefully and sympathetically rebuilt with some well thought out and simple mods to cope with the prodigious heat output!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

3 hours ago, Plattenspieler said:

Don't forget to post a picture that shows the amp connected to five pairs of speakers :-)

It's a bit bonkers, right?

I don't even have 5 pairs of speakers......

Very nice..Looks like you need to build a custom deeper rack to accomodate the UC-1........Are you running DIRECT :wink: or with the buffer engaged? 
With a tube amp it's been recommended to go through the "normal" inputs rather than direct, at least for now.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:
10 hours ago, The Fez said:
Very nice..Looks like you need to build a custom deeper rack to accomodate the UC-1........Are you running DIRECT :wink: or with the buffer engaged? 

With a tube amp it's been recommended to go through the "normal" inputs rather than direct, at least for now.

100% - I made a rookie error once and connected a tube pre to my N7B "direct" and after enjoying the music for a while.....the sound of silence from the right channel. Luckily I did not fry any of the vfet devices. I'm still using a tube pre (not the same one of said incident) but do use the c-coupled input on the Sony. Other bipolar & mosfet amps I'll go direct on any of those.

The Yamaha B2 I run on DC though..:wacko: - Haven't had the B2 in the rack for a while..Might get it out.. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last piece arrived yesterday as it was deemed too delicate to freight. As luck would have it my brother was heading down for my dads 70th so it was taken as hand luggage.

I'm sure it sounds better with giant VU meters!!

Either that or "burn in" is a real thing. Whatever, if this is as good as it's gonna get I'll never complain!!20181028_111141.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

The last piece arrived yesterday as it was deemed too delicate to freight. As luck would have it my brother was heading down for my dads 70th so it was taken as hand luggage.

Either that or "burn in" is a real thing. Whatever, if this is as good as it's gonna get I'll never complain!!20181028_111141.jpg

That's magnificent mate congratulations! 

I'm sure that red glow helps with the warm fuzzy feeling you must be having right now. 

Edited by Willmax

I have an idea in mind for a purpose built stand incorporating a cooling fan beneath the amp to keep air flowing over the power supply boards. And another lower shelf for the baby brother B-2[emoji16]

• 3 months later...
On 28/10/2018 at 4:05 AM, Grizzly said:

I have an idea in mind for a purpose built stand incorporating a cooling fan beneath the amp

yes, have thought of that as being a good ideea myself, but untill you do it, you might want to take that beast and move it on the top shelve, especially if you plan to runn it for extended periods. Don't forget to lift with your legs !

On 10/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, Grizzly said:

Wow ! that is a really nice.

What you need now is a YAM TT to finnish off the set

• Like 1

• 3 months later...