Bohemian Rhapsody

6 hours ago, betocool said:

Pardon my ignorance.. what is the Classic Album series? That sounds like something I should watch!

Cheers,

Alberto

4 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Looks awesome. I’d like to see up until 2008. 

The Steeley Dan, Motorhead. Fleetwood Mac and Meatloaf ones were particularity cool as I recall. Ive forgotten some others probably. The Meatloaf one made me go out and buy the album  (which I was probably one of the only people my age in Australia who never did when it was released). Once I knew Rundgren produced and played guitar on it. Its a great story that one.

• Like 1

I think SBS or the ABC aired the series at one time.

Some kind soul gifted me the Steely Dan one on the making of the Aja album.

Well worth the watch, what they put poor Michael McDonald through for his part on Peg, the auditions for the correct guitar sound and the bass player (I think it was the bass player) sneaking in a disco rhythm.

I haven't seen the others but I'd think they'd be as enjoyable

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turnthetable said:

I think SBS or the ABC aired the series at one time.

Some kind soul gifted me the Steely Dan one on the making of the Aja album.

Well worth the watch, what they put poor Michael McDonald through for his part on Peg, the auditions for the correct guitar sound and the bass player (I think it was the bass player) sneaking in a disco rhythm.

I haven't seen the others but I'd think they'd be as enjoyable

I have that too. But I had to buy it myself..

• 4 weeks later...

Being a tightarse I waited until Bohemian Rapsody became available as a rental this week, same goes for ‘A Star Is Born’.

So I just watched them both on consecutive nights and my pick was the Queen story by far. For me one was entertainment with great singers and very well made, the other was a small look into the life of some incredible people who changed music and what we think of it for ever.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peter the Greek

I'm a bit late to this party, I really enjoyed the film, probably more for the content than the film itself.

On reading some of the comments here, it would have been good to have seen some more of the "underbelly".....but that would have made it VERY long. Perhaps a story better suited to TV?

There is a video doing the rounds, left channel movie, right channel Live Aid. I've not been able to watch it at home yet, but with headphone it was very impressive.

Rockfield Records must be a pretty special place. Its where Oasis recorded their first album - there's a good doco about that

• 1 month later...

Guest kryten2001

Am I the only one not gushing over this movie? I'm a big Queen fan and was really looking forward to this.

I found it OK, not great..  It didn't feel like it did when it was actually happening, at least for me, that's for sure.

I actually found the actors who played Roger and Brian did a more authentic job than Rami. The dude who played Brian was bang on!

The amount of truth bending is what did it for me. Sorry I wish I could join in the excitement :(

Edited by kryten2001

I found it to be a most entertaining movie with great music and have watched it several times with the volume turned right up in the music scenes, as for the bloke acting as Freddie I reckon he is more than likely as close a Freddie copy as one could reasonably expect given how truly unique he was in so many ways.

I guess those hoping for a documentary style reconstruction of the life and times of Queen could more then likely be disappointed, where as those looking to be entertained and celebrate one of the greatest artists of our time more then likely were happy to watch it.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kryten2001 said:

Am I the only one not gushing over this movie? I'm a big Queen fan and was really looking forward to this.

I found it OK, not great..  It didn't feel like it did when it was actually happening, at least for me, that's for sure.

Im not gushing either, finally watched it saturday night and was a bit bored for parts of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

KRYTEN... you are correct. it was boring, if you want to save some money just stay home and play some queen music. they had the documentary on sbs that showed the "real" story.

if the guy does not actually sing in the movie role then sorry... he gets no rewards imo.

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

if the guy does not actually sing in the movie role then sorry... he gets no rewards imo.

This dude sings: http://www.iheartradio.ca/news/marc-martel-sings-freddie-mercury-in-bohemian-rhapsody-1.8547062

Rami is really good in Mr Robot. Check it out!

On 28/04/2019 at 11:00 PM, TerryO said:

I guess those hoping for a documentary style reconstruction of the life and times of Queen could more then likely be disappointed, where as those looking to be entertained and celebrate one of the greatest artists of our time more then likely were happy to watch it.

cheers Terry

There are a list of documentary style programs to watch if you wanted that. This was a movie. A dramatization and taken like that it was well done. People complaining about accuracy are like me complaining about war movies for using the wrong model Tiger Tank. Which I do, but its stupid...

Just now, crisis said:

Tiger Tank.

I remember, many years ago that ESSO ( a petrol company ) used the phrase "put a tiger in your tank" when you used their fuel and they actually gave away small furry tiger tails to dangle out of the petrol cap door on the car.

This has nothing at all to do with Bohemian Rhapsody but I thought it was a decent movie given the proviso that nobody could ever h0pe to imitate  Freddie.

Unique he most certainly was.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally caught up with this.  It was a disappointment as a movie, boring in many parts.  I suspect that having Brian May and Roger Taylor as the executive producers stifled the story telling and sanitised everything to the point that it became more like a documentary than a movie!  

I'll go back to watching the Queen concerts (the end of Queen at Wembley is superb!) and listening to the excellent 5 channel version of Bohemian Rhapsody in The Night at the Opera BD Audio.  

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Finally caught up with this.  It was a disappointment as a movie, boring in many parts.  I suspect that having Brian May and Roger Taylor as the executive producers stifled the story telling and sanitised everything to the point that it became more like a documentary than a movie!  

I'll go back to watching the Queen concerts (the end of Queen at Wembley is superb!) and listening to the excellent 5 channel version of Bohemian Rhapsody in The Night at the Opera BD Audio.  

@Snoopy8

You didn’t like it? 

you need to balance it out and watch A Star is Born right after this one! ?:thumb:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

@Snoopy8

You didn’t like it? 

you need to balance it out and watch A Star is Born right after this one! ?:thumb:

No, did not like it. And I am a Queen fan! ? 

A Star is Born (with Lady Gaga) is in the same category, both dull and slow movies, poorly scripted.... Just as well I bought them on a JB sale, would have been spewing if I paid full price.