Kodi box advice

Guest yamaha_man

Guest yamaha_man

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct area but looking to purchase a 4K kodi box.

My question is are they all to the same quality or is there a difference both visually and sound wise?

Any recommendations(that you know from first hand experience) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

No, they're not all the same.  In order to run KODI I've gone from jailbroken Apple TV 2's to media boxes and now I've been running 3x NUC's with KODI installed for about 4 years.  NUC's are, simply, small PC's, but I have them set-up purely to run KODI.  This means there's heaps of power to watch movie/tv shows seamlessly.  I bought a $10 MCE remote on ebay and control KODI with a standard remote control - awesome, no dicky little laggy remote controls!  I also have it so when I turn the NUC on it goes directly into KODI, so Windows doesn't even run, meaning the start-up time is very fast.

The new versions run 4K and 7.1 surround - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/nuc-home-entertainment.html

This one is about $510 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39043/intel-boxnuc7i5bnk-core-i5-7th-gen-nuc-barebone-kit

You have to add a couple of things to a NUC.  Firstly, internal memory - something like 120Gb M.2 solid state drive is around $100 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36723/intel-600p-series-128gb-m-2-ssd

or just a 120Gb solid state drive is around $75 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32553/sandisk-ssd-plus-120gb-ssd

EDIT:  I'd go this one, the internal SSD is only to install Windows and KODI

Then you need RAM, so 8Gb RAM like this is $150 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37597/corsair-value-select-cmv8gx4m1a2133c15-8gb-1x8gb-ddr4

Edited by Kaynin

Guest yamaha_man
54 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

No, they're not all the same.  In order to run KODI I've gone from jailbroken Apple TV 2's to media boxes and now I've been running 3x NUC's with KODI installed for about 4 years.  NUC's are, simply, small PC's, but I have them set-up purely to run KODI.  This means there's heaps of power to watch movie/tv shows seamlessly.  I bought a $10 MCE remote on ebay and control KODI with a standard remote control - awesome, no dicky little laggy remote controls!  I also have it so when I turn the NUC on it goes directly into KODI, so Windows doesn't even run, meaning the start-up time is very fast.

The new versions run 4K and 7.1 surround - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/nuc-home-entertainment.html

This one is about $510 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39043/intel-boxnuc7i5bnk-core-i5-7th-gen-nuc-barebone-kit

You have to add a couple of things to a NUC.  Firstly, internal memory - something like 120Gb M.2 solid state drive is around $100 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36723/intel-600p-series-128gb-m-2-ssd

or just a 120Gb solid state drive is around $75 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32553/sandisk-ssd-plus-120gb-ssd

EDIT:  I'd go this one, the internal SSD is only to install Windows and KODI

Then you need RAM, so 8Gb RAM like this is $150 - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37597/corsair-value-select-cmv8gx4m1a2133c15-8gb-1x8gb-ddr4

So for $760 it's a foolproof result???

I run nine from a laptop with HDMI out.

I had it given as the screen was cracked and "Obviously no good"

It has the advantage that it is easy to update Kodi:  many of the android boxes are stuck with the version of Kodi (And android) they came with.

My son does the same thing with his laptop.

JB

Guest yamaha_man
6 minutes ago, johndee said:

I run nine from a laptop with HDMI out.

I had it given as the screen was cracked and "Obviously no good"

It has the advantage that it is easy to update Kodi:  many of the android boxes are stuck with the version of Kodi (And android) they came with.

My son does the same thing with his laptop.

JB

You run nine???? I'm lost I'm sorry.

7 hours ago, Yamaha Man said:

So for $760 it's a foolproof result???

Yes, that's why I run them. 

But...if you're talking about using KODI to stream then that brings its own problems - problems that KODI and the unit running it cannot fix.  Streaming is reliant upon servers and other people's upload speeds.  No KODI device, no matter how powerful, can overcome that.  When I first started using KODI I streamed a lot, now I don't bother at all because it's so problematic - and I have awesome fibre to the home internet, my download speeds are never below 90 Kb/s.  I'm happy to talk about how I go about it, but too involved for a thread, best served by PM.

I'll say this, at around $800 the NUC will produce the best end result out of any of your other KODI running options.  If you're running big Gb movie files and high quality TV shows a NUC, along the lines that I described, will do it easily.  That's my criteria to ensure I enjoy using it, and that's why I've gone through the cheaper options to eventually spend quite a bit of money for three NUC's.  Cheaper options bring their own compromises.  High quality digital files use a lot of power now, so if you're only running tv speakers or low quality movie and tv files then a lesser unit running KODI could do the trick.

While a NUC may be one of the more powerful, customisable options out there, you can easily get devices that do 4k media playback streaming just as well for a fraction of the price.

Some of the best are the nVidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box, Vero 4K and Apple TV 4K. Check this thread for the most comprehensive run-down of what box will suit you best, based on your needs. WRXTASY is one seriously knowledgable dude who has tested countless boxes and knows the ins and outs of what they can do and where their shortfalls are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrp said:

Hi all
I was going to buy a nvidia shield for 4k streaming and kodi plus acess to my nas.
Is a nuc so much better than a nvidia shield ?
Or is the nvidia able to do as good a job?

Yes.  Just look at the specs alone.  The Nvidia Shield has 3Gb of RAM.  I would never run less than 8.  Personally I run 16Gb in all of my five NUC's.  But, this costs more money...better specs means that it does the task at hand easier.  I'm not saying the Nvidia is useless, they're decent specs, but 3Gb of RAM is Apple TV 4 realm.  Personally, that's not for me.  :)

Then you have the dedicated processor (8th Gen i3, i5 or i7).  For KODI I always recommend an i5 or i7.  The Intel i5 runs at 2.8GHz, the Nvidia Shield 2.3GHz.  Then you have the dedicated graphics card...

Simply, the NUC's are more powerful - but they will cost you more, of course.  The Nvidia Shield is an excellent option, but it has limitations which means compromises.  These may not be an issue for many people, but problematic for others.  The key is to identify exactly what you want to do, then how much you're prepared to spend. 

I'm not an expert, nor do I pretend to be, but I started at the low end of the market and ended up at the high end - for a reason.  I went through about five different products before trying the NUC's.  Other people have different priorities, so the other options suit them better.

Firstly, you'll need to set it up properly. You need to build it, set up the OS, get your drivers in order (particularly important if you want to bitstream HD audio, as some of the Intel chips have limitations in what they can/can not output for audio, and set up your remote. Not to mention you'll be spending in excess of $600-$700. You could buy a new TV for that money that will stream 4K content.

A Xiaomi Mi Box will set you back $100. A Vero 4K, $220. An Apple TV 4K about $260. These are all excellent devices specifically designed to playback video media. They are already set-up, all you need to do it turn them on and point them to your media library.

I'm not saying NUCs aren't powerful, but when you just want a media streaming box they are not $500 better.

• Like 1

thanks Kayni, Yeah I know what you mean. I had western digital live for years ... not bad. thought i would aim high and bought the oppo 205 because it is a streamer as well but you cant do kodi and other things like that, bugger. so I definitely want to get it right this time around. I will investigate the Nuc. do you know if the Nuk would be able to convert the new sound codecs into a PCM stream and send it through the hdmi cable to my processor... should be able to, the western digital does and in fact thats how you can get around the new codecs with older equipment that doesn't handle

Dolby Digital Plus etc

5 minutes ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Firstly, you'll need to set it up properly. You need to build it, set up the OS, get your drivers in order (particularly important if you want to bitstream HD audio, as some of the Intel chips have limitations in what they can/can not output for audio, and set up your remote. Not to mention you'll be spending in excess of $600-$700. You could buy a new TV for that money that will stream 4K content.

A Xiaomi Mi Box will set you back $100. A Vero 4K, $220. An Apple TV 4K about $260. These are all excellent devices specifically designed to playback video media. They are already set-up, all you need to do it turn them on and point them to your media library.

I'm not saying NUCs aren't powerful, but when you just want a media streaming box they are not $500 better.

True.  But I didn't read the the OP wants to stream anything...he asked for a 4K KODI box - KODI does so much more than streaming. 

In fact, I mentioned in an earlier post that if he wants to stream then to be very wary of what his expectations are.  Of course, there's illegitimate streaming and then there's Netflix style streaming - completely different content in terms of size and end quality.

Edited by Kaynin

3 minutes ago, paulrp said:

thanks Kayni, Yeah I know what you mean. I had western digital live for years ... not bad. thought i would aim high and bought the oppo 205 because it is a streamer as well but you cant do kodi and other things like that, bugger. so I definitely want to get it right this time around. I will investigate the Nuc. do you know if the Nuk would be able to convert the new sound codecs into a PCM stream and send it through the hdmi cable to my processor... should be able to, the western digital does and in fact thats how you can get around the new codecs with older equipment that doesn't handle

Dolby Digital Plus etc

Yep, I discovered through trial and error and it ended up costing me money - although I'll say this, when I had the jailbroken Apple TV 3's I never lost money on those things! 

I love the WDTV's, I bought one for my mother in law, easy to use and does the job very well.  Mind you, she only plays it through her TV, but that will last her for years.  Great little devices.

Yes the NUC sends through new codecs, you just configure for bitstream passthrough in KODI.  I've been running Master HD and TrueHD ever since I've owned these NUC's.  I believe the new ones do ATMOS, but I don't have an ATMOS system so I can't comment from first hand experience.

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Yes.  Just look at the specs alone.  The Nvidia Shield has 3Gb of RAM.  I would never run less than 8.  Personally I run 16Gb in all of my five NUC's.  But, this costs more money...better specs means that it does the task at hand easier.  I'm not saying the Nvidia is useless, they're decent specs, but 3Gb of RAM is Apple TV 4 realm.  Personally, that's not for me.  :)

Then you have the dedicated processor (8th Gen i3, i5 or i7).  For KODI I always recommend an i5 or i7.  The Intel i5 runs at 2.8GHz, the Nvidia Shield 2.3GHz.  Then you have the dedicated graphics card...

Simply, the NUC's are more powerful - but they will cost you more, of course.  The Nvidia Shield is an excellent option, but it has limitations which means compromises.  These may not be an issue for many people, but problematic for others.  The key is to identify exactly what you want to do, then how much you're prepared to spend. 

I'm not an expert, nor do I pretend to be, but I started at the low end of the market and ended up at the high end - for a reason.  I went through about five different products before trying the NUC's.  Other people have different priorities, so the other options suit them better.

Are you running Kodi on Windows?

Seriously, run it on Linux. You'll push 4k on 4GB with ease, even with an i3 (which incidentally is a ton more powerful than the CPU shipping with a Shield). 

Vid resolution depends on the gfx chip/RAM.

What you're suggesting is overkill for Kodi. Kodi at 4k doesn't need to be so expensive. 

2 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Are you running Kodi on Windows?

Seriously, run it on Linux. You'll push 4k on 4GB with ease, even with an i3 (which incidentally is a ton more powerful than the CPU shipping with a Shield). 

Vid resolution depends on the gfx chip/RAM.

What you're suggesting is overkill for Kodi. Kodi at 4k doesn't need to be so expensive. 

Of course it's overkill, I've said that in my posts in terms of heaps of power running content seamlessly.  It also future proofs what you want to do with it, something other locked boxes struggle with.  I have a RRP$17,000 pre-pro in my living room that I use for background music and free to air TV shows - that's overkill, just how I like it.  :)  But then we have parties, and that system can handle what I want it to do then too. 

I believe in over engineering, that's my policy in everything I do.  There are always other options, suggest one for Joe to give him some food for thought.  :thumb:

Just now, Kaynin said:

Of course it's overkill, I've said that in my posts in terms of heaps of power running content seamlessly.  It also future proofs what you want to do with it, something other locked boxes struggle with.  I have a RRP$17,000 pre-pro in my living room that I use for background music and free to air TV shows - that's overkill, just how I like it.  :)  But then we have parties, and that system can handle what I want it to do then too. 

I believe in over engineering, that's my policy in everything I do.  There are always other options, suggest one for Joe to give him some food for thought.  :thumb:

Sure, though you pay for that, and really some of the overengineering doesn't make sense - you're not going to need system RAM for a Kodi box, if you want a GPU that's 8K ready that's another thing. 

Anything reasonable running Linux, 4GB RAM or more and a 4K @whatever FPS he needs GPU is going to be fine. 

Then get it cheap - in 5+ years when time to upgrade you won't miss it.

I have an nvidia shield 2, runs kodi seamlessly, and netflix, plex, youtube etc all without having to shag around manually having to keep software up to date. Let alone the time it takes to setup everything.

I have been down the NUC road and found it way to much hassle for maintaining the 4 around the house.

Edited by todagt

26 minutes ago, paulrp said:

if plugged in to the ether net/ your network, wouldn't updates be set to automatic and do them selves?

I would have thought it would be the same with either devise

And additionally, I use XBMC Launcher which loads directly into KODI, so the Windows OS doesn't even boot up.  The first time it boots up is when you exit KODI.  Therefore, no Windows updates until you go in to the Windows desktop which, for me, is rare.  KODI updates itself, so I don't worry about maintenance.

56 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Sure, though you pay for that - yes, of course you do, my recommended option is at the top end of the scale, which brings with it power/performance/customisation.

, and really some of the overengineering doesn't make sense - you're not going to need system RAM for a Kodi box - I monitor the RAM useage in KODI, and yes, it does get used, significantly.

Anything reasonable running Linux, 4GB RAM or more and a 4K @whatever FPS he needs GPU is going to be fine. - This doesn't help the OP though.  Such as?

@Kaynin

I monitor Kodi resource usage too. I don't pass ~750MB RAM usage at 1080P with multiple audio streams - and even that's rare, it's often much less. 4K is not going to significantly increase this to necessitate 8GB RAM regularly or 16GB as a recommentation. Would suggest your Windows base is somewhat more significant on RAM usage. 

More RAM, more power do not equal more performance or customisation. Kodi runs on a 4th gen i5 here at 800MHz most of the time and it's just fine. If it's running Chrome I raise the clock speed a bit, if I had a newer CPU (with hardware decoding for the codec used) I could keep it at 800MHz just fine for everything. I have the i5 for audiophile reasons (more L3 cache), it ran on a 4th gen i3 just fine too. On a lean OS Kodi will run on an ARM CPU with a decent GPU just fine (which is all a Shield is). 

Kodi wasn't created to need big hardware. For the most part anything will sound better with a PC near idle too. Try running it on Linux - it really doesn't need a lot of grunt.

The recommendations do help the OP - take that spec, go hunt. 

2 hours ago, paulrp said:

if plugged in to the ether net/ your network, wouldn't updates be set to automatic and do them selves?

I would have thought it would be the same with either devise

You can set a Linux box running Kodi or anything else to update itself in the wee hours, reboot, and be peachy and ready to go in the morning.