I don't get it

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

I don't get what you don't get MC240. Something about soundstage and racks. I love racks and I like soundstages.

A really nice rack is a thing to behold. I've been slapped in the face for beholding some.

Nige your a bloody funny guy you should get a manager and stop handling yourself. :na:

On 9/18/2017 at 9:00 PM, Addicted to music said:

I went to a family friends place for dinner and he had just purchased a Sony 5.1 home theatre system and placed all the speakers in the front with the TT on the sub....:ohmy: :P

I always did think you had weird friends, Peter.  :P

But at least it wasn't a Bose system.  :lol:

Andy

1 minute ago, andyr said:

I always did think you had weird friends, Peter.  :P

But at least it wasn't a Bose system.  :lol:

Andy

My son is into Bose,  some of those Bluetooth Bose units are awesome.  He lately bought a noise cancellation Bose headphone and walks around in the house with that on......  so I call him all sorts to see if it works properly....and my daughter gives me that dirty death look,  if looks could kill I'd be dead a thousand times....:D

Bose stuff is ok. I used to punish a set of 501s back in the late 70s and they just lapped it up.

Neighbours knocking on the door, to ask "Could you turn it down a bit, my wife is gravely ill ?" - my response may have been "but this is Crime of the Century!"   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Bose stuff is ok. I used to punish a set of 501s back in the late 70s and they just lapped it up.

Neighbours knocking on the door, to ask "Could you turn it down a bit, my wife is gravely ill ?" - my response may have been "but this is Crime of the Century!"   

I'm sure they would have agreed with you 

• Like 1

IMO having a rack or TV in between the speakers are fine as long the speakers are at least 1.5m into the room from the back wall and having the speakers half a metre from the side walls

Having the rack on the side wall is good for not having the lights in your sights while listening in the dark 

Guest palexsia

Depend on what sort of speaker you have . What about a triangle corner speaker which only work good by placing its right into the corner and then where do you place your rack ? Look like the rack has to be in between the two speaker or if on other side wall then you will have to run a long speaker cable and a short cable . 

Guest Eggcup The Daft

What about high frequencies rather than low?

The sound that makes its way directly between the speakers in a normal multiway box set up is coming from the dome tweeter (the same sound that is affected by edge diffraction, so we can be sure it happens). That would be affected by items between the speakers and then reflected by items between. Would that cause issues....

On 10/3/2017 at 9:45 PM, musical physic said:

IMO having a rack or TV in between the speakers are fine as long the speakers are at least 1.5m into the room from the back wall and having the speakers half a metre from the side walls

Having the rack on the side wall is good for not having the lights in your sights while listening in the dark 

So do I but I was talking about is the is speakers in the same plain as the wall zero toe in with the component rack smack bang in the centre (when you've option of space)

Guest scumbag
On 18/09/2017 at 9:15 PM, MC240 said:

I get the no choice bit a man can only do what a man can do and that's cool. But otho if you've gone to the trouble and expense like building the room treating the room and spent uber dollars on the rig I don't just don't get it.

Can I just ask, on what grounds do you assume that a setup where speakers are in-line with a rack will have compromised soundstaging? 
The off axis response of the speakers will have descended to omni-directional at the point where the cabinet and hifi gear will affect the off-axis response. In any given room, the placement of speakers will be determined by a number of practical factors e.g room size, room layout, WAF. So all rooms are compromised unless they are very large and the speakers are away from gear, racks AND walls. Or they are "normal" rooms with good treatment. There is nothing anathema about the layout above per se.

Toe in is of course another matter of course.

Edited by scumbag

3 hours ago, scumbag said:

Can I just ask, on what grounds do you assume that a setup where speakers are in-line with a rack will have compromised soundstaging? 
The off axis response of the speakers will have descended to omni-directional at the point where the cabinet and hifi gear will affect the off-axis response. In any given room, the placement of speakers will be determined by a number of practical factors e.g room size, room layout, WAF. So all rooms are compromised unless they are very large and the speakers are away from gear, racks AND walls. Or they are "normal" rooms with good treatment. There is nothing anathema about the layout above per se.

Toe in is of course another matter of course.

Practical experience