LG NEW Super UHD 4K TV 86SJ957T For the Black Family

41 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Also projectors are presumably going to have trouble keeping up with the PQ improvements on screens. Their main draw card is a bigger screen. They are always going to be a poor cousin for many areas. They also take over a room usually.

You have it backwards mate, quality projectors sh!t all over TV's for picture quality and size. When it comes to movie viewing projectors are the premium option without any doubt, no contest at all IMHO. Beautifully clean and natural picture with contrast and blacks that no LCD TV can come anywhere near. Even high end Plasma is blown away by a JVC projector, its not even close. That's why I never view movies on my TV's and never will.

As for taking over the room, hardly. The screen, and the projector if need be, can disappear completely into the ceiling at the touch of a button. Try that with a big TV.

Even if you only use a motorised retractable screen the setup its a lot less dominating when retracted than a big black flat panel on the wall. How dominating would a 100" plus flat panel be sitting on the wall?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Blackman1503561291 said:

I do not like that something that suppose to be straight and end up like the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I HATE THAT!! and Anything like it, "EG" a Picture on the wall that not straight.

If I see this my head goes into a Spin

Well watching movies with an 85 inch LCD would make my head spin compared to a 110 inch screen and projector, each to their own I guess. :)

12 minutes ago, JSmith said:

... so we're still trying to clarify whether the LG you mentioned uses "nanotech" I gather?

I say NO but everyone said yes for nano tech

The IPS doesn't bother me because it will have to be better than hecto.

As for the new LG it has Hybrid Log Gamma. (HLG) which is going to used on Satellite soon

This TV has to be 99% compatible on the Sat Side and a good Viewing for 4K movie. It Is,impossible to have everything. I have 11 Satellite Decoders just to keep up on whats going on 23,500 miles above

Edited by Blackman

11 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Well watching movies with an 85 inch LCD would make my head spin compared to a 110 inch screen and projector, each to their own I guess. :)

Yes I had a LG Projector and its great and it time for something else. I do not want to send time adjusting it every time some on in the family bumps the Hecto Cabinet

14 minutes ago, Owen said:

You have it backwards mate, quality projectors sh!t all over TV's for picture quality and size. When it comes to movie viewing projectors are the premium option without any doubt, no contest at all IMHO. Beautifully clean and natural picture with contrast and blacks that no LCD TV can come anywhere near. Even high end Plasma is blown away by a JVC projector, its not even close. That's why I never view movies on my TV's and never will.

As for taking over the room, hardly. The screen, and the projector if need be, can disappear completely into the ceiling at the touch of a button. Try that with a big TV.

Even if you only use a motorised retractable screen the setup its a lot less dominating when retracted than a big black flat panel on the wall. How dominating would a 100" plus flat panel be sitting on the wall?

I was Consider a Hi End Screen that goes onto the roof in front of the Hecto as the Hecto will do Sat and Sitcom stuff " Sat Feed and leave a 120 Inch Screen with a high end projector but I decided NO after I had the Stroke due to me having more chances to crawl into the Roof. I'm Getting Old guys

7 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Yes I had a LG Projector and its great and it time for something else. I do not want to send time adjusting it every time some on in the family bumps the Hecto Cabinet

With a conventional projector it typically hangs from the ceiling, no problem of it being bumped.

5 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I was Consider a Hi End Screen that goes onto the roof in front of the Hecto as the Hecto will do Sat and Sitcom stuff " Sat Feed and leave a 120 Inch Screen with a high end projector but I decided NO after I had the Stroke due to me having more chances to crawl into the Roof. I'm Getting Old guys

You could pay for someone to install a screen type of your choosing. But you seem dead set against a projector and screen so I'll just give up.

14 minutes ago, Satanica said:

OK, how do you plan to plan to get an 85+ inch LCD TV to where you want it?

Easy My wife and my Daughter have help me on Major Projects like Building Houses. The wife mixed the complete cement mix (16,000 Bricks for my mate the brickie) Cement Mixer for a 38 Sq House all by herself and now my Strong Daughter (24 years Old) that can pick up TWO Cement bags and put them on her shoulder will help once again. Just think 8 Satellite Dishes and the Big 3M one had a BIG Hole and she Dug it and all I saw was the dirt Flying out of the Hole so picking up a small 86 inch 20 times Tv will be no problem for us. Our Bred has Strong Women LOL,LOL,LOL.

Edited by Blackman

43 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

read someone here saying thy Calibrate  their Projector ever movie. The Hecto has been Good for this as Once I adjusted it it was the Same for 3 Years. I want just to relax and Watch MOVIES!!

The Hecto was a projector, and a VERY fiddly one to set up compared to conventional front projector which would take you only a tiny fraction of the time you spent mucking around with the Hecto. Did you have to calibrate the Hecto for every movie, of cause you didn't, you probably never calibrated it.

I calibrate my projectors about once a year, and thats not even nesesary. Most people just plug them in and use them without any calibration, just like they do with their TV's. Its only the fussy people that worry about display calibration.

The only projectors that required constant adjustment where old triple gun CRT units, modern digital projectors are set and forget, just like the Hecto. So if you like to fiddle you will be disappointed. ;-)

As for geometry issues, its clear you have never seen a good projector because there simply are none, vertical and horizontal lines are dead straight. All you have to do is get the screen and projector level and you are good to go. The protector doesn't even need to be vertically or horizontally centred, the lens has adjustments to correct and you dont even have to get out of your chair, just push a button on the remote and fixed. Once adjusted there is no reason to touch it again unless you move the screen or projector.

In comparison the Hecto was an absolute nightmare to set up.

For day time or lights on viewing a projector is FAR from ideal, just like the Hecto. However in the dark a good projector will deliver image quality and a viewing experience no TV or the Hecto can compete with. Its therefore a good idea to have a TV for normal viewing and a projector for movies and for the price of an 86" TV you can have both.

1 minute ago, Owen said:

The Hecto was a projector, and a VERY fiddly one to set up compared to conventional front projector which would take you only a tiny fraction of the time you spent mucking around with the Hecto. Did you have to calibrate the Hecto for every movie, of cause you didn't, you probably never calibrated it.

I calibrate my projectors about once a year, and thats not even nesesary. Most people just plug them in and use them without any calibration, just like they do with their TV's. Its only the fussy people that worry about display calibration.

The only projectors that required constant adjustment where old triple gun CRT units, modern digital projectors are set and forget, just like the Hecto. So if you like to fiddle you will be disappointed. ;-)

As for geometry issues, its clear you have never seen a good projector because there simply are none, vertical and horizontal lines are dead straight. All you have to do is get the screen and projector level and you are good to go. The protector doesn't even need to be vertically or horizontally centred, the lens has adjustments to correct and you dont even have to get out of your chair, just push a button on the remote and fixed. Once adjusted there is no reason to touch it again unless you move the screen or projector.

In comparison the Hecto was an absolute nightmare to set up.

For day time or lights on viewing a projector is FAR from ideal, just like the Hecto. However in the dark a good projector will deliver image quality and a viewing experience no TV or the Hecto can compete with. Its therefore a good idea to have a TV for normal viewing and a projector for movies and for the price of an 86" TV you can have both.

The Hecto was Never Touched in 3 Years once I set it up correctly. The Only Time I had to re adjust it because of a Slight bump from our heavy Vacuum Cleaner. After this has happened twice I made a Securing System that bolted the cabinet to the Wall at EXACTLY 74MM off the wall. No problem now,Hitting  the Cabinet and Nothing moves.

Owen Time For a New challenge as We Bough a New Car with all the Fiddler things like heads up Display (LOVE IT), a thumping V8, Forward Collision alert  and with a mile of extras, A Sat NaV  that tell me that you are Approaching a School so Slow Down to 40K Hell this car Does ever thing. Love the Bimodal Exhaust and More extras that you need. Yeah the wife Bough it yet she has never driven a car in her life. We are a Strange Lot/ love V8's and Holden are going. Sad Day  We have more Cars twice than people in the House.and because of this this is the reason why I will invite nobody into our house ever again. Next time someone trys to steal one They can take me to Jail and I will laught as I won't last that long.

Get a Job Scumbags

4 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

It sent an PM Message to Scott Wilkinson on AVS regarding this matter as lot of US people are confused about this as I think that only 65 and 75 inch models will have nano Technology in the US and Australia.

That's more than a good bet Blackman  ; I noted after the avs video that lg's nano cell tech isn't like other makes but uses a film over the backlight zones to filter out any moire crap etc . The aus 65'' lists "Contrast Enhancement Film -Yes '' as well as nano technology -yes ;  the 86 doesn't for either ..

Its not like a ce like Lg to leave out something on its site ; something that can help flog product :D A new technology like this is always going to go to the volume product which is in direct competition with other ce's similar sizes .. read as destroy Samsung :)

Sony certainly would be the one Ide look at ; its unfortunate its specs page leave a lot to be desired ; they don't even give a clue what hdmi version ''  HDCP (2.2 (for HDMI1/2/3/4));" which just lists the copy protection but not what hdmi version :rolleyes: The lg's you can deduce is probably hdmi2.0b as it lists HLG HDR  which requires .b not .a . No word on nano tech either that I could find..

If you do save up for a uhd player ; you will be glad you have 2.0b rather than 2.0a as that will be necessary for the next version of HDR10 - the variable scene by scene rather than the current state of the art  static metadata you get with 2.0a ..  Its just around the corner ; Samsung call their version '' HDR-10 Plus" - they do not like dolby vision :blink:

4 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

The Hecto was Never Touched in 3 Years once I set it up correctly. The Only Time I had to re adjust it because of a Slight bump from our heavy Vacuum Cleaner. After this has happened twice I made a Securing System that bolted the cabinet to the Wall at EXACTLY 74MM off the wall. No problem now,Hitting  the Cabinet and Nothing moves.

Owen Time For a New challenge as We Bough a New Car with all the Fiddler things like heads up Display (LOVE IT), a thumping V8, Forward Collision alert  and with a mile of extras, A Sat NaV  that tell me that you are Approaching a School so Slow Down to 40K Hell this car Does ever thing. Love the Bimodal Exhaust and More extras that you need. Yeah the wife Bough it yet she has never driven a car in her life. We are a Strange Lot/ love V8's and Holden are going. Sad Day  We have more Cars twice than people in the House.and because of this this is the reason why I will invite nobody into our house ever again. Next time someone trys to steal one They can take me to Jail and I will laught as I won't last that long.

Get a Job Scumbags

Sounds to me like you got yourself the last of the HSV GTS-R or maybe even the W1.  Which colour did you get.  I love the orange colour.  Anyway back to TV's.

Cannot wait to hear what you end up with.  When I retire I have thought a lot about a 130 inch Screen Technics retractable screen in front  of a large, say 85 inch flat panel on the wall.  i currently have a 65 inch panasonic VT20 wall mounted.

When its time for a movie.  Turn off the TV, lower the screen, turn on my 3 submersives, lower the whatever the PJ is out of the ceiling on a motorised mount and sit back and enjoy the show.

That is the plan.  Have to retire first.

Edited by bradp51
Spelling

My boss finished 4th at Bathurst in the early 80's with Harrington in a commodore. He drove Torana's prior to that.

Blackman, it sounds like you have only seen **** PJ setup's and are dismissing them because of that. I myself like most others here have only seen **** Hecto setups and they looked damn awlful to me. Perhaps it's a two way street here.

Calibration is really only necessary after new globe run in. And I'd suggest it's a small percentage of Audio/Videophile people like those on this forum that even do it just once. The majority would't even calibrate once just like when buying a big TV. Turn it on and most just say WOW and sit down and watch.

The HDFury that was mentioned will feed pretty much anything to your Hecto or a PJ etc for years to come via updates as tech moves forward. Cheaper than replacing a $14,000 tv every two years........ 

10 hours ago, bradp51 said:

Sounds to me like you got yourself the last of the HSV GTS-R or maybe even the W1.  Which colour did you get.  I love the orange colour.  Anyway back to TV's.

Cannot wait to hear what you end up with.  When I retire I have thought a lot about a 130 inch Screen Technics retractable screen in front  of a large, say 85 inch flat panel on the wall.  i currently have a 65 inch panasonic VT20 wall mounted.

When its time for a movie.  Turn off the TV, lower the screen, turn on my 3 submersives, lower the whatever the PJ is out of the ceiling on a motorised mount and sit back and enjoy the show.

That is the plan.  Have to retire first.

No we are not that rich. Heron white I was going to get Spitfire to match the other car.

As for the HSV GTS-R at $160,000 Its big bread but a Good Car and we have cars more expensive them that and you wonder why they are people that want to steal them.

We have had two attempts and Both were stopped due to my security System . Tried Buy a Fool that I meet on a forum and one by a fuc.ked head child (son Friend) that took photo's without no one permission and the Photo's went to the Wrong Person.

See the way I think. If you have a burglar Alarm and the company installs it I bet the person that installs it can get into the House But for Me I bought the system and done it myself and put other things!!!!1 that nobody would expect.

Sad to do this but the times we live in

Edited by Blackman

41 minutes ago, jutta said:

My boss finished 4th at Bathurst in the early 80's with Harrington in a commodore. He drove Torana's prior to that.

Blackman, it sounds like you have only seen **** PJ setup's and are dismissing them because of that. I myself like most others here have only seen **** Hecto setups and they looked damn awlful to me. Perhaps it's a two way street here.

Calibration is really only necessary after new globe run in. And I'd suggest it's a small percentage of Audio/Videophile people like those on this forum that even do it just once. The majority would't even calibrate once just like when buying a big TV. Turn it on and most just say WOW and sit down and watch.

The HDFury that was mentioned will feed pretty much anything to your Hecto or a PJ etc for years to come via updates as tech moves forward. Cheaper than replacing a $14,000 tv every two years........ 

Yes I know that Name Harrington as we Bough as we bought Bob Forbes spare A9X  Days from Bathurst.

(Stroke effect me again this morning and this is what I have to put up with)

As For I will now give the Hecto a Oresent and I will buy the HDFUryOwen

I will start Again. I will take Owen suggestion and give the Hecto a going away Present by buying a HD Fury. I have never seen a Good 4K Projector system.

11 hours ago, cwt said:

That's more than a good bet Blackman  ; I noted after the avs video that lg's nano cell tech isn't like other makes but uses a film over the backlight zones to filter out any moire crap etc . The aus 65'' lists "Contrast Enhancement Film -Yes '' as well as nano technology -yes ;  the 86 doesn't for either ..

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!  Now LG have updated their website as this was not there two days ago. Funny thing After I spoke to the the guy that I'm buying the LG From that to give the LG Rep another phone call for the Full specs and fix  their sit up as it confusing!!

WHAT A WASTE. 65 INCH WITH NANO TECHNOLOGY. Why not 75 and 86 Inch. Did not say that at the CES report.

Edited by Blackman

22 hours ago, pgdownload said:

Put the protractor down below the center of the TV - flat side on the wall, curved side facing out to your seats.

You'll notice the line one the protractor pointing straight out is 90 degress (This is 90 degrees from the wall, or perpendicular, or "your seat")

The confusing bit is we call this 0 degrees off center (or 0 degrees away from straight in front of the TV.)

Next imagine a line from the middle of the flat point of the protractor (This is the point where all the lines on the protractor converge to a single point - the little semi circle in the middle)

Imagine that line out from that point to the side chairs (you can use string or dowel but in this case just eyeball it)

Might radiate through the 60? Or the 50? This is the angle from the wall. You want the angle from the perpendicular line (90) So 90-60 = 30 degrees off center.

Its easy to demonstrate, hard to explain. Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

transparent_clear_protractor_by_theangel

Hey guys

You haven Answered the question

If you sit in my wife seat which is  50 or 48 deg  another measurement on the protractor 130 or 132 deg is that to much angle or border line or ok in this angle for a VA panel LCD

which one of these

Edited by Blackman

Yes I know that Name Harrington as we Bough as we bought Bob Forbes spare A9X  Days from Bathurst.
(Stroke effect me again this morning and this is what I have to put up with)

As For I will now give the Hecto a Oresent and I will buy the HDFUryOwen
I will start Again. I will take Owen suggestion and give the Hecto a going away Present by buying a HD Fury. I have never seen a Good 4K Projector system.

My boss drove the A9X also for a few years in the 70's. We actually had the guy who bought one of Brockys old ones in the factory here last year. Great fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

WHAT A WASTE. 65 INCH WITH NANO TECHNOLOGY. Why not 75 and 86 Inch. Did not say that at the CES report.

It is strange. Usually the flagship would have every bell and whistle. My understanding is it is actually just a thin film that is sprayed? over the screen. All LG screens have some sort of TM widescreen enhancement technology. Personally it sounds like marketing bs to me. The sort of thing where the tech heads say they've managed a 0.6% increase in the colour gamut (is that a tautology). Marketing department trademark it Nano Technology and put in some swoopy graphics on the brochure (perhaps some zoomed in pictures of big bright atoms zooming into the screen), and the legal department says just make sure you only ever use wishy washy terms like "improves".

But it is strange they couldn't get it onto the 'bigger' sets - perhaps its just a manufacture capability thing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

8 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

If you sit in my wife seat which is  50 or 48 deg  another measurement on the protractor 130 or 132 deg is that to much angle or border line or ok in this angle

The number relevant to you is 40 degrees off centre (that's 90 - the 50 you measured). i.e. your wife is sitting at a viewing angle of 40 degrees. 

From the comments above this should make very little difference to the viewing experience for your family. It may be slightly less bright if you kept switching seats during a movie but once you sit down you would likely not notice.

Regards

Peter Gillespie