LG NEW Super UHD 4K TV 86SJ957T For the Black Family

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, pgdownload said:

Put the protractor down below the center of the TV - flat side on the wall, curved side facing out to your seats.

You'll notice the line one the protractor pointing straight out is 90 degress (This is 90 degrees from the wall, or perpendicular, or "your seat")

The confusing bit is we call this 0 degrees off center (or 0 degrees away from straight in front of the TV.)

Next imagine a line from the middle of the flat point of the protractor (This is the point where all the lines on the protractor converge to a single point - the little semi circle in the middle)

Imagine that line out from that point to the side chairs (you can use string or dowel but in this case just eyeball it)

Might radiate through the 60? Or the 50? This is the angle from the wall. You want the angle from the perpendicular line (90) So 90-60 = 30 degrees off center.

Its easy to demonstrate, hard to explain. Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

transparent_clear_protractor_by_theangel

Good Man that EXACTLE LIKE THE ONE WE BOUGHT THIS MORNING!!

Hecto is 3M from MLP

Right!!

The Protractor on the Hecto screen in the Middle yes I say the exact measured Middle of the screen using a 1m x 16 MM  Dowel parallel with the center of the protractor and aiming to my wife chair is 50 or 48 or the other measurement of 130 or 132

Edited by Blackman

2 hours ago, Owen said:

For satellite source its likley there will be a move to Hybrid Log Gamma as proposed by the BBC, and that will likely require new hardware.

I

The LG has Hybrid Log Gamma.

I spoke to Hisense regarding bringing the 100  Inch Laser Cast 4K short throw projector in Australia but said for the Moment its a US Model Only. If It was as Good as the Hecto on 1080p and 90% as good as and good LCD on 4k I would buy it and its Cheaper to the Current LG that I want to buy

2 minutes ago, Owen said:

That's around 40 degrees off axis.

Does she actually complain about the view she has from there and about the picture quality?

I never sat in her Position in 3 Years but when I was testing the New Bouncy Balls on the Lounge (Fillings rattling in my Teeth LOL) I notice that the Hecto was Slightly Dark. Went into the moddle and it was Bright again so who is Darker is the Hecto Darker in the Wife Chair or Any LCD. ??? Humm

So the Hecto is darker when viewed from 40 degrees off axis, thats no surprise given the screen design, but is it so dark that its a problem for you wife?

If not why "fix it"?

Edited by Owen

The LG has Hybrid Log Gamma.
I spoke to Hisense regarding bringing the 100  Inch Laser Cast 4K short throw projector in Australia but said for the Moment its a US Model Only. If It was as Good as the Hecto on 1080p and 90% as good as and good LCD on 4k I would buy it and its Cheaper to the Current LG that I want to buy

I've been googling for further info after that launch at CES, couldn't find anything.

Did Hisense mention if we could ditch the flimsy looking speakers that's part of the package?

Shipping the screen from US would be the issue, then there's the import GST.

With all the shipping + GST, I reckon pricing would be on par with the LG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, RonRonson said:

I've been googling for further info after that launch at CES, couldn't find anything.

Did Hisense mention if we could ditch the flimsy looking speakers that's part of the package?

Shipping the screen from US would be the issue, then there's the import GST.

With all the shipping + GST, I reckon pricing would be on par with the LG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sent an PM Message to Scott Wilkinson on AVS regarding this matter as lot of US people are confused about this as I think that only 65 and 75 inch models will have nano Technology in the US and Australia.

This should have been EXPLAINED VERY CLEARLY on Which model had and Has not got Nano Tech.

Watch the Video around 14 min and 10 seconds on. Make you opinion

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-avs-foruma-podcasts/2714169-live-ces-2017-a.html

Edited by Blackman

26 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

We want to go 4k now not when I'm Dead

What makes you so sure you will actually see a significant improvement in a display with more pixels when the video you normally view is not actually 4K.

How good are your eyes?

The biggest improvement is going to come from better video source not the number of pixels on the screen, and you dont need a 4K display to view and get advantage out of 4K video. In most situations the video is the limitation not a 1080 display.

When you compare 4K video with that video down scaled to 1080 4:4:4 you will be shocked at how subtle the visible differences in resolution is, even with good eyes.

HDR is a better reason to go for a new TV, but you will need an LCD TV for that not a 4K Hecto type setup.

How much HDR content is there on satellite?

15 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Why not a projector before you're dead?

Hassle Factor? Something to be said for hanging a screen on the wall and sitting back and pressing on. 

Also projectors are presumably going to have trouble keeping up with the PQ improvements on screens. Their main draw card is a bigger screen. They are always going to be a poor cousin for many areas. They also take over a room usually.

Not saying they're not great fun and if you've got the inclination to pay a lot and install a lot and tweak a lot then you can have a cool dedicated home theater system.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

7 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Hassle Factor? Something to be said for hanging a screen on the wall and sitting back and pressing on. 

Also projectors are presumably going to have trouble keeping up with the PQ improvements on screens. Their main draw card is a bigger screen. They are always going to be a poor cousin for many areas. They also take over a room usually.

Not saying they're not great fun and if you've got the inclination to pay a lot and install a lot and tweak a lot then you can have a cool dedicated home theater system.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

This guy has the inclination to pay a lot and tweak a lot apparently. You don't need a dedicated home theater, they don't need to take over your room.

32 minutes ago, Owen said:

What makes you so sure you will actually see a significant improvement in a display with more pixels when the video you normally view is not actually 4K.

How good are your eyes?

The biggest improvement is going to come from better video source not the number of pixels on the screen, and you dont need a 4K display to view and get advantage out of 4K video. In most situations the video is the limitation not a 1080 display.

When you compare 4K video with that video down scaled to 1080 4:4:4 you will be shocked at how subtle the visible differences in resolution is, even with good eyes.

HDR is a better reason to go for a new TV, but you will need an LCD TV for that not a 4K Hecto type setup.

How much HDR content is there on satellite?

My eyes are reasonable Good. I have a set of Glasses done for 3M distances for MOVIE ONLY Viewing

29 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I have never seen a Projection that when watching a 2 : 39 Movies the Black lines are EXACTLY THE SAME. I MEAN THE SAME as no more than 1MM out anywhere. The Hecto had this.

If I had another Projector I would go MAD as my eyes will drift to the BLACK LINES.  This was the Bigges tIssue on The Hecto as People including the Installers could not set them up Like Me.

It A Damm shame this Forum Crashed and this site lost that Great Posting on the Hecto.

17 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I read someone here saying thy Calibrate  their Projector ever movie. The Hecto has been Good for this as Once I adjusted it it was the Same for 3 Years. I want just to relax and Watch MOVIES!!

Just because you read it, that doesn't mean it's true or that person wasn't doing something completely unnecessary.

23 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I have never seen a Projection that when watching a 2 : 39 Movies the Black lines are EXACTLY THE SAME. I MEAN THE SAME as no more than 1MM out anywhere. The Hecto had this.

If I had another Projector I would go MAD as my eyes will drift to the BLACK LINES.  This was the Bigges tIssue on The Hecto as People including the Installers could not set them up Like Me.

It A Damm shame this Forum Crashed and this site lost that Great Posting on the Hecto.

I'm not really sure what you mean. If I actually do kinda understand you, wouldn't 16:9 movies be affected in exactly the same way? Perhaps a CinemaScope screen would make you happy.

Edited by Satanica

5 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Just because you read it, that doesn't mean it's true or that person wasn't doing something completely unnecessary.

Yes like me as I was Called a FUSS POT!!

I'm starting to wind down Doing things but this TV stuff is only a Part of thing's i'm up to.Still. Still strongly Involved with Cars and the VF Commodore

21 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

MOVIE ONLY Viewing

During the day too right? So projector is not ideal?

I'm pretty sure you've already thought about all this right, before deciding on buying an 85"?

... so we're still trying to clarify whether the LG you mentioned uses "nanotech" I gather?

The LG using an IPS doesn't bother you?

I reckon a VA based panel will be find for 40deg. off axis compared to the substandard colours of an IPS based panel.

Surely the Sony 85" is a pretty good option here?

It's shame these beasts never got released! :o

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/samsung-touts-4k-oled-tv-98-inch-behemoth/

https://www.engadget.com/2013/12/29/samsung-110-inch-uhd-tv/

This seems to be in Saudi only... JB Canberra is supposed to have stock of the 85";

http://www.samsung.com/sa_en/consumer/tv-av/tv/uhd/UA110S9ARXUM/

JSmith :ninja:

4 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I'm not really sure what you mean. If I actually do kinda understand you wouldn't 16:9 movies be affected in exactly the same way? Perhaps a CinemaScope screen would make you happy.

I do not like that something that suppose to be straight and end up like the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I HATE THAT!! and Anything like it, "EG" a Picture on the wall that not straight.

If I see this my head goes into a Spin