Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

@sime...good stuff mate...

You gave the Oppo DAC a try & once the "honeymoon" period was over...reverted to something that makes your heart sing...

As a "newbie" to this neck of the woods (Junee)....got to say...glad I am not washing dogs in these temps...

• Like 1

The reason I purchased the 205 is because it is a very good all rounder. It's not the King of anything but its pretty damn good at most everything it's designed to do. Personally I think it's very good value.

cheers Terry.

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TerryO said:

The reason I purchased the 205 is because it is a very good all rounder. It's not the King of anything but its pretty damn good at most everything it's designed to do. Personally I think it's very good value.

cheers Terry.

Yes it is Terry.  Look at the capabilities on the audio side.  No other all rounder is going to give you right up to the highest PCM/DSD support, with the top of the line ESS 9038pro,   With wifi built in and SACD support with full XLR output.  Those who have had it and plugged a headphone into it say it's a step forward compared to the 105.  And plugging a Beyerdynamic T90 into the 105 jack you realise is it necessary to get a full top of the line Stax kit that will cost $10000 more.   And I already have a Stax Lambda pro as a primary head set to compare.  The oppo 105 and the T90 is a pleasure to listen too and I'm not missing anything the Stax Lambda/105 brings to the table.  

• Like 2

This thread is turning into some weird form of audiophile irony. 

There's a company thats actually is making a product, in this case a blu-ray player, a product that dosnt necessarily need the hardware it has in it, but decided to do so anyway, you know, to make it better than the rest, but here, on an audio forum no less, it's being questioned. 

Funny hey. 

37 minutes ago, Sime said:

This thread is turning into some weird form of audiophile irony. 

There's a company thats actually is making a product, in this case a blu-ray player, a product that dosnt necessarily need the hardware it has in it, but decided to do so anyway, you know, to make it better than the rest, but here, on an audio forum no less, it's being questioned. 

Funny hey. 

Who cares.

I can see huge benefit in companies like Oppo listening to these types of communities and building products that their fanbase want.

These organisations should be trolling these forums to get precisely this sort of feedback and build from that.

I would love to i2s capability with these so called high-end blu ray players to give flexibility to purchasers to output to their own external DAC.

Why don't they do it? Because let's face it what we want is very rarely met and instead, we end up being given something that is all about building to a cost.

13 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Who cares.

I can see huge benefit in companies like Oppo listening to these types of communities and building products that their fanbase want.

These organisations should be trolling these forums to get precisely this sort of feedback and build from that.

I would love to i2s capability with these so called high-end blu ray players to give flexibility to purchasers to output to their own external DAC.

Why don't they do it? Because let's face it what we want is very rarely met and instead, we end up being given something that is all about building to a cost.

When it is all said and done I don't think they are interested in what the consumer wants. They seem very happy to build a very good BR player for the masses, but ignore the things some of us really want. If they are going to try and make it a truly all in one sort of player, then they need to step up in the areas they are falling down. If they had a GUI more like Kodi where we can easily navigate all our media in whatever form, with the ability to customise it to our liking, then we could do away with the PC and make it the one central player, but I honestly believe they are letting the player down with the GUI. We're supposed to be living in this "connected" world, but they are producing a player that really only performs one function well and that is as a transport. We have to rely on other devices if we want GUI functionality and simplicity. My player is sitting here unused because the oppo can't do what a PC can.

9 minutes ago, Silent Screamer said:

When it is all said and done I don't think they are interested in what the consumer wants. They seem very happy to build a very good BR player for the masses, but ignore the things some of us really want. If they are going to try and make it a truly all in one sort of player, then they need to step up in the areas they are falling down. If they had a GUI more like Kodi where we can easily navigate all our media in whatever form, with the ability to customise it to our liking, then we could do away with the PC and make it the one central player, but I honestly believe they are letting the player down with the GUI. We're supposed to be living in this "connected" world, but they are producing a player that really only performs one function well and that is as a transport. We have to rely on other devices if we want GUI functionality and simplicity. My player is sitting here unused because the oppo can't do what a PC can.

Mate,

I agree. Its one of the very reasons why I am heading towards computer audiophile/videophile. I get to choose what system I want. It beggars belief that none

of those players facilitate i2s to an external DAC. How about having Kodi support? Its just plain dumb. They are too damn preoccupied with ensuring you cant

play ripped ISO images instead of listening to their customer base.

2 hours ago, Silent Screamer said:

. If they had a GUI more like Kodi where we can easily navigate all our media in whatever form,

This is the main reason I can't get one of these, once you have Kodi and it's for free it's hard to use anything else.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, said:

they have indeed kazz and good move, the official is up now :)

downloaded before and been watching logan since :D 

Is Logan encoded with Dolby Vision?

1 hour ago, blairy1503559527 said:

Is Logan encoded with Dolby Vision?

Unfortunately not Blairy ;)

One sad side note here is that although Logan was shown in Dolby Vision in compatible cinemas, the film is only available on this 4K disc release in the HDR10 format.

1 hour ago, powerav said:

This is the main reason I can't get one of these, once you have Kodi and it's for free it's hard to use anything else.

I second this.

I just came by an Amazon fire TV which my wife uses in the main bedroom. I just happened to install kodi and it has changed how we watch television.

My intention is to go down the route of HTPC to cater for both audio and video. To me its becoming a no brainer. 

I get to choose how I want the system setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/firmware-update-activates-dolby-vision-oppo-udp-203-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-players/

The complete list of changes offered by the update is as follows:

– Added Dolby Vision support. A Dolby Vision enabled TV is required to view content in Dolby Vision

– Added Sharpness adjustment support for the 4K resolution

– Improved HDMI audio stability when using an HDMI Split A/V connection

– Changed the color depth info display of the HDMI In port to 8b/10b/12b instead of 24b/30b/36b

– General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

@:) al @Sime

any updates on the FW thst you guys have loaded.  It seems to me that @:) al is experiencing some issues in the avs 205 owners thread.

hi AM, yep they have done exactly as you have said few times... taken something working in an aspect. done a firmware update and broken it. 

yep when booting up now with pioneer kuro get a garbled menu screen flashing intermittently... cure put a disc in. or reboot the oppo. rebooting the marantz does nothing. alternatively if try with the jvc x7000 as display just get a black screen at boot up.

posted on avs...and got the response i expected...oh nothing changed...oh maybe its booting up sooner now. fault is with other gear that may not boot as fast. never mind have never had this issue with any disc player prior. ever ! not even wiht the oppo 205 or 203 before. 

in anycase I've already reported this interdyn locally already lets see what comes of that :)

I suspect yet again they have rushed things. not enough time between beta testing of the change vs the urge to get the official firmware out and be the first with dolby vision. 

3 minutes ago, Sime said:

Mine boots up perfectly in 12.1seconds. 

good that it is, however you are neither passing through a hdcp 2.2 hdmi2.0a processor or using a display that is the same.

not that am not doing anything unusual and using probably one of the most popular combinations out there. I just cannot believe again oppo doesnt test this kind of thing out before jumping from beta to official. gees you pick this thing up on boot up ! its not like it needs extensive testing to find out ... I found out in a matter of seconds there is a problem. a problem that didnt exist prior to this update ! 

• Volunteer
4 hours ago, :) al said:

I suspect yet again they have rushed things. not enough time between beta testing of the change vs the urge to get the official firmware out and be the first with dolby vision. 

I haven't had time to do the fw update as yet so I might hold off for a bit, DV is going to do nothing for me atm as I have no DV display.

• Like 1