Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

15 minutes ago, :) al said:

thats a step i decided to take 1st thing this morning. with 30 days clocking over on the oppo and state of play i thought it appropriate, but more of that later :)

Unfortunately the $678 offer has expired and the price is back up to $747 at Videopro. Videopro even shipped me the launch set with the 2 free Bluray disks.  The ones I've seen at JBhifi are newer without the free Bluray disks.

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Ok still won't play a DVD on the JVC projector ????

I'm pretty sure I saw Al post that that was a limitaion of the JVC rather than the Oppo.

• Volunteer

4 minutes ago, muriwai said:

What ???so a $7000 projector $3 k pre amp and 1 k player won't play a DVD ???

On 1/7/2017 at 0:17 AM, :) al said:

i have also made a discovery where been brought to my attention that the jvc ... doesnt actually do native dvd resolution ? how bizarre is that ? explains why couldnt pass dvd res direct ? so not something the oppos fault and quite possibly something I didnt pick up wiht the samsung given by its nature it up sampled.

This was the part of Al's post that dealt with DVD playback.

33 minutes ago, muriwai said:

What Al?so going to give up on the oppo??more infomation please ???

just bought a pana thats all, not decided anything otherwise :)

25 minutes ago, Sir Triode said:

Unfortunately the $678 offer has expired and the price is back up to $747 at Videopro. Videopro even shipped me the launch set with the 2 free Bluray disks.  The ones I've seen at JBhifi are newer without the free Bluray disks.

you should never hit buy or take list prices for granted no matter what you buy. things such as this also dont go up in price ... only down... its not like buying fuel from the servo ! its always best to go in a store and talk to a human as i was again reminded of today.

25 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Hmm,just spoke to my son,he says they have watched DVDs on the JVC played thru the play station !so the JVC can output a DVD pic for sure,would it be a setting in the oppo?

because a playstation by default always upscales...there is no native output setting which is unique to oppo in this case :)

ok getting back to the oppo, last couple of days decided to take bull by the horns :D

while I've been using the sony eggs HDR charts for setting contrast...one thing have not been happy with is not having anything to set brightness...

R. Masciola's HDR UHD test patterns to the rescue !

http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/rm-uhdhdr-10.html

ofcourse straight up I find no matter what i do on the jvc there is no way I can on the brightness pattern get the top bars to show in any way.... well turns out the oppo is infact clipping blacks ! :wacko: inexcusable i would suggest for something the ilk of the oppo.

anyways with some help from jav and woofer it appears need to crank contrast in the oppo itself (kind of like is done with the samsung) I found I needed a +3 in brightness ! and there you go now found can dial in the brightness. a bit of back and forth was required between the brightness and contrast chart to dial in.

means ofcourse need to set up a preset in the oppo which is a nuisance to extent but what else do you do ... till hopefully oppo fix this black clipping ! 

on another note to test I did run through mad max, life of pi, the shallows and also kingsman. and I can clearly say this has made a significant improvement to things and can now see even more detail... it literally is like lifting a veil ... so well worth doing.

watching the shallows uhd though did show me the oppo at probably its worst. it was regular intermittent mini audio drop outs ...constantly in the opening scenes..this is very annoying....ok someone not listening to the track closely might miss these they are split second drops...but not really what I would say good enough quite frankly of a player of the calibre of the oppo. and particularly since its  random and intermittent thing. I never had this the previous times have played the oppo and I thought we were past this with the oppo since the update. To me things like this and with its freezes and dummy spits wiht discs intermittently are quite a deal breaker ! 

given 30 days clocked over with the oppo and where things are at decided first thing this morning it was time to seek out a pana, apparently it doesnt have random and intermitent disc issues, drop outs and hiccups. also doesn't clip blacks needing internal adjustment. so grabbed one locally and will explore over next few days which might decide where I go to from here.

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Seriously,

with 4K res,  trust me it's no big deal to not do native DVD, because it would be that pixelated that you'll refuse to watch it!  

Its like watching 1080 and then watching SD, even here at these figures there's a world of difference.

we are ofcourse not displaying DVD natively, its a matter of whether we want to upscale to 1080p or 4k either of which depending on what your display will handle. ofcourse depending on what display you have it will then depend on how good the upscaler is whether in your display or elsewhere - player or av processor. the oppo being able to output natively does give the option as to where you want to upscale. the jvc cant take a native dvd signal so then matter of deciding whether to upscale in the av processor or player. i suspect most will choose player and the oppo does do a pretty good job in this regard :)

22 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Hi Al,so what do I have to set the settings on the oppo to to be able to watch a DVD on the JVC?

I've mentioned earlier :)can leave on 1080p auto - will upscale to 1080p. or if wanting to watch uhds as well and if a kuro is involved as well then leave it all on auto and just change the color space to 4:2:0

alternatively if only using the jvc and no kuro involved then can run in uhd auto or uhd 24 setting. 

21 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Hi smith,ok resolution button did the trick,machine still won't play a local DVD onto my JVC projector tho

Hi muri ; just as a preventative measure ; I  think I read that Bob Pariseau said you can store your settings on a thumbdrive or maybe internally ? before upgrading the firmware  . If you can it may help when you restore to defaults for any future upgrade .

Have you tried the super disc firmware ; don't know if its compatible with an aus player though - its been mentioned @ avs as working with a US one .  Up to you if you want to risk it of course - ide just make a few dvd vobs without any region coding  and feed the oppo those . 

http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

19 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Hi CWT,what you suggest is so far overt head !!!!sorry taken me 3 weeks to get a USB stick and get girlfriend to put update on it and put into player !!!!emoji57.png

Had 2nd thoughts when I posted that anyway Muri ; and if it was something else it was a lot of work for zilch :ermm:  Turn on the auto notification for new software if your hooked up with Ethernet and you can avoid the thumbdrive method next time . There will be many more firmware upgrades to come before stability sets in I think .. 

22 hours ago, Kazz said:

I had the same issue after the update, 

You really take your life in your hands with these  downloadable up-dates.  It's a very short journey between something that works an an expensive door stop.
You really take your life in your hands with these  downloadable up-dates.  It's a very short journey between something that works an an expensive door stop.

So you go into your Hi Fi retailer and buy the product, Only to learn when you get it home that the software is out of date, and it requires an update.  Really it's not up to the buyer to perform  updates, That's the job of the importer / retailer. To supply a model with current model software.
That's why in any other  product, that fails to perform , they advertise a factory re'call.

Just perhaps this is the price we are forced to pay for something sold in limited numbers, and really the reverse should be the norm.   Or is it that  service has gone the same way as the product, and both need an up'date

The same thing is going on with the supposed need for upgraded HDMI cables, Why isn't the correct cable supplied with the product.  Answer,  We are a small market so anything will do. 
So you go into your Hi Fi retailer and buy the product, Only to learn when you get it home that the software is out of date, and it requires an update.  Really it's not up to the buyer to perform  updates, That's the job of the importer / retailer. To supply a model with current model software.
That's why in any other  product, that fails to perform , they advertise a factory re'call.

Just perhaps this is the price we are forced to pay for something sold in limited numbers, and really the reverse should be the norm.   Or is it that  service has gone the same way as the product, and both need an up'date

The same thing is going on with the supposed need for upgraded HDMI cables, Why isn't the correct cable supplied with the product.  Answer,  We are a small market so anything will do. 

yes agree bassett and glad you made the point . Muri had trouble though and if you have a reliable internet connection many choose this . I have done numerous downloads with an 83;95 and 103d over the years not to mention many more hd pvr ones . The good thing about oppo downloads is they have a check sum mechanism so if the data is corrupt nothing is transferred .. 

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1439524-official-oppo-bdp-105-owner-s-thread-270.html#post24071202

Even thumbdrive downloads can stuff up ; though still best practice as you say .

If you want to double check your download, mine was 101,898,240 bytes and you can use 7zip 'Test archive' option to check if it is not corrupted, but do not unpack it.

Yes

Edited by cwt

2 hours ago, duke said:

If things came with the latest firmware it would mean they've been used so aren't technically new.

What a load of crap, that statement is.

If things where done right in the first place, you would not need to up'date.

The problem was Samsung, Panasonic and Phillips all had 4k players on the market, and Oppo rushed the release to grab some of the Christmas market, Instead of completing there testing and trials, which no doubt the other makers did.  You will probable find when the 205 comes on the market in the middle of this year, all the bumps and grinds will be flattened out beforehand.

44 minutes ago, bassett said:

f things where done right in the first place, you would not need to up'date.

Yes you would with Bluray players. That's always been the way since they first came out with every make of player so they play all latest movies.

Edited by duke

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, bassett said:

If things where done right in the first place, you would not need to up'date.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, duke said:

Yes you would with Bluray players. That's always been the way since they first came out with every make of player so they play all latest movies.

I get where you're coming from but it's not just Oppo and it's not just Bluray players.  I recently bought a TV and had to update the FW on first use, tune in TV channels and then install apps.  My DSLR, phone, laptop, PC, NAS, router etc etc etc all need updates with monotonous regularity.  A couple of years ago I plugged in an old portable HDD to my PC and it needed a FW update before I could use it.  My first digital camera captured reds as hot pinks and this needed a FW update to fix.  Recently had our 18 month old car serviced.  My wife brought it home and said 'He told me to get you to update the software in the satnav!'  I could go on and on but won't.

Yes it's frustrating when stuff doesn't work and apparently the consumer has to wait or fix it themselves.  On the other hand, once it's working as it should, FW updates can provide improvements and even additional functionality.