Freeview Australia

can someone confirm if Freeview requires a decoder box or is DVB-T compatible

A normal HD Set Top Box or HD PVR is all that will be needed.

Lets just get this straight, Freeview is just all the television stations SBS, ABC, Ten, Seven, Nine saying we have digital television, go and buy a set top box now.

Edited by jrtm

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A normal HD Set Top Box or HD PVR is all that will be needed.

Lets just get this straight, Freeview is just all the television stations SBS, ABC, Ten, Seven, Nine saying we have digital television, go and buy a set top box now.

ok so if already have a TV tuner (DVB) I should be good-to-go right?

So does this mean that ONE HD will replace the existing TEN HD ?

Any news on what the additional Seven and Nine channels will be called?

We really need a 24 hours news channel on Freeview (like BBC News 24 in the UK). Do ABC or SBS have the resources to provide this?

Also just wondering having moved here recently from the UK - why does FTA digital TV not provide any interactive services. For example at Wimbledon BBC would give viewers the choice of watching 4 games by pressing the red button - why does 7 not provide something similar for the Australian Open. Are their technical restrictions or is Australia just behind the times?

Also in the UK freeview includes Sky News and Sky Sports News. What are the chances of getting Sky News and Fox Sports News available on freeview?

And finally, will the new 7,9, 10 SD channels be rebroadcast on FOXTEL?

Edited by smilerhk

So does this mean that ONE HD will replace the existing TEN HD ?
Yep
Any news on what the additional Seven and Nine channels will be called?
Depending on who gets their act together next, we should expect a TWOHD and THREEHD :)
Also just wondering ahving moved here recently from the UK - why does FTA digital TV not provide any interactive services. For example at Wimbledon BBC would give viewers the choice of watching 4 games by pressing the red button
That's not interactive, that's just switching to another 'channel'. Interactive would require some way for pressing the red button (or other ones) to be sent back to the station. There were some STBs built around technology like this early on but at the moment all we really have is a basic STB. Broadcast rules prohibited channels from multicasting so they couldn't show say 3 different tennis matches which you choose one. The networks have also be dragged pretty much screaming all the way in implimenting anything remotely innovative in the digital arena over the past 10 years so that's also why they haven't really done anything much to comment on.
What are the chances of getting Sky News and Fox Sports News available on freeview?
Doesn't Foxtel own the rights to those?
And finally, will the new 7,9, 10 SD channels be rebroadcast on FOXTEL?
Foxtel have said they have no intention of doing so.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NB A dedicated news station sounds like a likely one - if not the commercial channel then ABC may well do this.

Edited by pgdownload

We really need a 24 hours news channel on Freeview (like BBC News 24 in the UK). Do ABC or SBS have the resources to provide this?

ABC want ABC3 (Kids) and ABC4 (24 hour news) - it's all dependent on Federal Government funding.

SBS wants SBS2 (Foreign language learning for children plus more overseas programming etc)

Guess we should have seen it coming ...

Go back and poke around the threads from about 12 months ago when the notworks were crowing about launching a proper EPG - you'll find myself and a few others suggesting this exact scenario. IIRC, I even speculated that they'd wait until the result of the IceTV case before they pulled this trick.

I know I've said it before... but I think it's a pity "Freeview" can't organise a VIRTUAL news channel. I'm sure set top boxes (TiVo for example) could do it. Also, MOSTLY the news starts and finishes on time on all channels, so padding doesn't matter.

ie:

3am: we have a few options for US Today shows

4:30/5am early Local news

6am-9am we have ABC2 morning news, 7's today, 9's thingo

9-10 ABC2's Australia News and Business

9-11: 7 & 9 both have discussion programs from memory

11am 9/10 morning news

11:30 7 morning news

Noon ABC's Midday News.

12:30-4pm is a little bare! ABC often has something related but not always. SBS has PBS news at 2:30.

4pm SBS Journal

4:30 7 afternoon news.

4:30 SBS's hourlong PBS newshour.

5pm Ten hour news

6pm our regular news

6:30 has current affair programs or SBS world news for an hour.

7pm ABC news

7:30 has ABC's 7:30 report.

Then we get bare again... SBS has news at 9:30 or so.

There are irregular programs (Insight, Foreign Correspondent, etc)

There are 10:30 news shows, and ABC 11-midnight.

They could fill a pretty reasonable virtual channel. Of course there'd be argument over which News you watch when there are multiple options (mainly 6am-11am, and 6-7pm).

Also, once they did this, we may find that SBS (for example) moves its PBS Newshour to align with a total gap in the News offerings (eg 3pm-4pm), rather than give people a choice to watch the 4:30 afternoon News instead.

We can't make your average set top box change to different channels automatically.... but it wouldn't be difficult to define it within the Freeview specification would it?

ps. The virtual news channel isn't stealing any other channel's programs - quite the opposite. It's actually automatically switching users across to a network's news programs, complete with their own ads and promos.

Edited by GregA

Bog standard DVB EIT contains tags to describe the type of content. If the information is accurate and reliable it'd be extremely simple to set up a PVR to record all content with those tags - ie, news or for that matter channel hop to chase the next news type programme.

Of course, 'freeview' has made that instantly difficult with their proprietary guide. People with non-freeview equipment (ie, just the type of equipment that would be used to do this) have to rely on the current EIT EPG, so its hit and miss - and the current EIT EPG may well be withdrawn once 'freeview' boxes start appearing.

Freeview isn't even up and running and its already starting to limit what you can achieve. Wonderful ain't it?

Edited by DrP

Yeah, Our Perth listings do the HD channels so it's no biggie and I always look online at some of the guides too. But I just think it's incovenient that most of us who already forked out enough money to get our set top box's plazma's won't be able to use this feature. It's stupid they are restricting EPG to compliant labelled "Freeview".

I use my digital tv card too often as well as my set top box in the lounge, it's gonna be a nightmare living without the EPG guide on the puter coming direct from the channel :(

ABC want ABC3 (Kids) and ABC4 (24 hour news) - it's all dependent on Federal Government funding.

ABC already has kids programs constantly from 6am-6pm (if you switch between ABC1 and ABC2).

ABC could already run an ABC3 pointing to those programs.

So... I have to assume ABC actually wants more regular programs on ABC1/2 by moving existing shows to ABC3.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?

Bog standard DVB EIT contains tags to describe the type of content. If the information is accurate and reliable it'd be extremely simple to set up a PVR to record all content with those tags - ie, news or for that matter channel hop to chase the next news type programme.

Of course, 'freeview' has made that instantly difficult with their proprietary guide. People with non-freeview equipment (ie, just the type of equipment that would be used to do this) have to rely on the current EIT EPG, so its hit and miss - and the current EIT EPG may well be withdrawn once 'freeview' boxes start appearing.

Freeview isn't even up and running and its already starting to limit what you can achieve. Wonderful ain't it?

Freview - Offering the Same crap but with more restrictions :). That should be the slogan.

Yeah, it is bullshit DrP - I don't like this Freeview branded models stuff crap at all.

Edited by dan2007

Guess we should have seen it coming, but looks like Freeview's new all-channels EPG will require you to buy new PVRs, TVs etc.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=73117

FTA TV is 2009 is depressing me already, and the year hasn't even started yet.

Why not just get a decent PVR eg Toppy, BeyonWiz or Media PC and use IceGuide instead?

Here is the IceTV response to FreeView: http://www.icetv.com.au/news/?p=313

:)

I don't understand how only branded freeview boxes will only be able to pickup the EPG's

Simple, the BC's will send the "Freeview" EPG via MHEG (currently EIT) and possibly even encrypt it so only officially sanctioned "freeview" boxes can access it.