Freeview Australia

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, did you hear that Freeview NZ HD requires MPEG4 decoders?

They reckon for that reason there's only one Freeview NZ HD certified decoder and it's $500.

ps

HD is terrestrial only, and most Freeview is via satellite.

The NZ HD boxes are about $250~400 these days thow they have just released a Zinwell DVR for about $100 . They won't sell many at that price

The NZ HD boxes are about $250~400 these days thow they have just released a Zinwell DVR for about $100 . They won't sell many at that price

Yes, I can understand. $100 is way more than anyone would want to pay for a DVR :lol:

(I take it you meant $1000?)

SBS has already said it'll launch a new channel "SBS World" to replace SBS News next year... but no word on a 3rd channel (utilising the HD channel), just 2013 channels "spectrum permitting"). So we're already dropping to 13 channels and so far no HD requirements.

Thing is, I cant see us having 15 channels for a long time, if we're lucky seven and nine will keep their HD channels as they are now (ie some alternate programming), but I think, like TEN, they have little interest in running 3 channels currently, so I expect to see no unique content on the HD channels after the new SD channels start.

I think we can expect 10 unique channels next year:

ABC, ABC2, SBS, SBS World, Seven, Seven 2nd SD, Nine, Nine 2nd SD, TEN, One.

Thing is, I cant see us having 15 channels for a long time, if we're lucky seven and nine will keep their HD channels as they are now (ie some alternate programming), but I think, like TEN, they have little interest in running 3 channels currently, so I expect to see no unique content on the HD channels after the new SD channels start.

Have to wait until 2013 when more spectrum is released for 3 channels. Form next year I guess it's like 2.5

e.g. 7, 7HD (basically 7) and 7-2 OR ABC1, ABC HD (basically like A1) and ABC2

The HD channels are really half a service - better PQ but little unique content

Only Ten and ABC will have 2 unquire channels in 2009 at this stage unless 7 announces something as planned by xmas

I just want to know how TV Week and others are going to show program listings for 15 channels. :lol:

My guess is that they're going to need fold-out pages like a Playboy centrefold (only much less interesting). B)

YEAH I KNOW!!

the telegraph tv guide in sydney is squashing in all the info.

Refering to above comment, yeah, freeview should make a unique guide for newspapers to make ppl that dont have freeview jealous..

Edited by Dyllip

Have to wait until 2013 when more spectrum is released for 3 channels. Form next year I guess it's like 2.5

They could do 3 channels each with the existing spectrum, there is no technical reason why the HD channels can't have all unique programming.

I just cant see it happening for some time.

They could do 3 channels each with the existing spectrum, there is no technical reason why the HD channels can't have all unique programming.

I just cant see it happening for some time.

They technically could do 3 channels each, 2 SD and 1 HD, but they would lack in programming. Plus even if they did do 3 channels each, that means commercial broadcasters will show late night home shopping across all the channels (except ONE SD).

Guest The_hoffy

Hi all....noob here, so please be nice.

I have read through this thread and I do understand what has been said, but....

Today, I went to buy a Tivo. The salesman, told me (just before I handed over the plastic) that the TIVO will not be able to receive the new channels if and when they come out next year....His reasoning was due to the new MPEG4 codecs...Obviously, this threw me and the Tivo went back on the shelf (for now).

SO, I know this thread has suggested that the EPG is the only thing that will be missing from most HD hardware, but I suppose (& in light of the comments made above about the NZ MPEG4 Codecs) I am just after some re-assurance. I dont want to spend $700 on something that wont deliver what I want (frankly, I couldn't give a rats about the freeview epg....thats why I am getting a Tivo)

Cheers in advance!

Today, I went to buy a Tivo. The salesman, told me (just before I handed over the plastic) that the TIVO will not be able to receive the new channels if and when they come out next year....His reasoning was due to the new MPEG4 codecs...Obviously, this threw me and the Tivo went back on the shelf (for now).Cheers in advance!
Sales man was basically speaking BS. The 'new' channels are just the same as the FTA current channels (eg 7SD1, 7SD2 and 7HD, etc.) ALL STBs/PVRs currently in existance in Oz will be able to get the 'new' channels (and that includes the Tivo) The only thing the Tivo might not get is the freeview EPG, however that's of no consequence because the current Tivo EPG is exactly the same data as what the freeview EPG will use. If you're happy with the idea of getting a Tivo you can be assured you won't be 'locked out' of any FTA channels in the coming years. You'll actually get more content as the Tivo will is able to download movies and shows on demand as well.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Guest The_hoffy

thank you. Maybe some of these sales reps should get their facts right & I suppose to a degree, he was half right. I did send an email to TIVO support and asked the same question. Will be interesting to see if I get a response!

Well - my Freeview story is:

Went into Dick Smith. Asked about Freeview branded boxes and if they had any information. The guy looked blank, I mentioned the ad on TV and he said after a moment - Ah thats all the new HD channels that are launching. I said - no, not really its mainly to do with the EPG.

He looked even more confused and said... "What erm.... oh any box mate..."

BS indeed.

Freeview's got some educating to do....

:lol:

Went into Dick Smith. Asked about Freeview branded boxes and if they had any information. The guy looked blank, I mentioned the ad on TV and he said after a moment - Ah thats all the new HD channels that are launching. I said - no, not really its mainly to do with the EPG.

BS indeed.

Hehehe... idiots

Maybe they should start employing Freeview reps at the local shopping centres :P

BS indeed.

Sounds like the same level of expertise that was at DSE store here in NZ when Freeview was launched..

can someone help me out as i think i may be missing something here....Freeview states it will give us 15 Channels (SD,HD etc) well if this is the case then thats means we are going to lose channels....im in Townsville and on my Beyonwiz i have 19 plus audio (and yes i know some of the channels are simulcast) so can anyone tell me why we are not going to have all the channels up and running (eg 7 dig 1,2,3) and i now that the ABC could as i have noticed that ABC 1 on Austar is the same as ABC 1 on FTA but ABC 2 on Austar have different shows on at the same time as ABC 2 FTA....and also can anyone tell me (well regional QLD) why we are not getting Tens new channel ONE...it seems the FTA networks think that Sydney is Australia.