Freeview Australia

Can someone make it simple to understand what this latest advertice is all about freeview australia ? I thought it was DiVO tv box...... but i dont think it is really? they just recently advertice that stuff.. FMy friend in portugal said they had Tivo for years in his country and that now Tivo is old technology. Since everything changes but in australia it seems new.

But okies its not Tivo box. What is freeview ? Is this like more free channels on the DIGITAL channels? if so what channels will there be? how about skynews.... the cooking show channel or something. If this was to happen i think foxtel is loosing customers :)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone make it simple to understand what this latest advertice is all about freeview australia ? I thought it was DiVO tv box...... but i dont think it is really? they just recently advertice that stuff.. FMy friend in portugal said they had Tivo for years in his country and that now Tivo is old technology. Since everything changes but in australia it seems new.

But okies its not Tivo box. What is freeview ? Is this like more free channels on the DIGITAL channels? if so what channels will there be? how about skynews.... the cooking show channel or something. If this was to happen i think foxtel is loosing customers :)

OK:

FreeView = a Marketing exercise to make the FTA broadcasters appear more relevant in a digital age that they dont understand.

:D

Put simply:

* TiVo in Australia is the latest version ("series 3"), not the original/old first series. It is digital.

* Freeview will basically be a couple of extra channels to watch alongside regular "Free to Air" channels, with ads like regular channels. We don't know what those channels will be yet except that Ten is doing an all sports channel.

ps. To all the others who understand the full detail of what the answer can be - I'm trying to make this the simple answer that works generally.

Edited by GregA

ps. To all the others who understand the full detail of what the answer can be - I'm trying to make this the simple answer that works generally.

Nope, I think that pretty well sums it up.

All networks currently broadcast

1 analogue channel (which will be turned off in the next 3 years)

1 digital SD channel which shows exactly what is on the analogue channel (ie simulcast)

1 HD channel which usually just shows a HD version of the current SD channel but also some unique content.

Freeview = 1 new SD channel for each network. Its likely this channel will now be the one that is simulcast on the HD channel.

For example channel 10 has a SD channel. In 2009 it will add a new sports only SD channel. This sports channel will be simulcast on the 10 HD channel.

Note there will only be one new channel for each network and it will be a unique new channel. So it won't be like Foxtel when suddenly you get a CNN channel, a nature channel etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Guest john-andrew
For example channel 10 has a SD channel. In 2009 it will add a new sports only SD channel. This sports channel will be simulcast on the 10 HD channel.

What a joke Freeview is going to be. This is if TEN is going to downgrade its TV shows to SD.

Then, I might just as well get HD content elsewhere!

What a joke Freeview is going to be. This is if TEN is going to downgrade its TV shows to SD.

Then, I might just as well get HD content elsewhere!

there will be a TEN HD and One HD by channel TEN. So it looks like TEN will have 2 HD channels

Edited by hppart

No one knows. Sorry.

Are you responding to me (as quoted), or the guy after me asking for dates it's starting?

If me... what's to be sorry about?

Yes we don't know if the regular EPG will get worse, just that Freeview will offer an "enhanced EPG".

The TiVo can be upgraded very easily by Seven, and already complies with Freeview restrictions - it will not suffer a bad EPG.

Are you responding to me (as quoted), or the guy after me asking for dates it's starting?

If me... what's to be sorry about?

Yes we don't know if the regular EPG will get worse, just that Freeview will offer an "enhanced EPG".

The TiVo can be upgraded very easily by Seven, and already complies with Freeview restrictions - it will not suffer a bad EPG.

Oh crap, I was responding about the question of when Freeview starts. I posted the wrong quote. LOL

What I'm worried about is how us without FreeView related crap, will be able to reacieve the EPG. Will it be restricted to now and next? (Don't answer as no one really knows) If I can still get the guide in at least 2 days in advance , I'll be happy with that.

Oh crap, I was responding about the question of when Freeview starts. I posted the wrong quote. LOL

What I'm worried about is how us without FreeView related crap, will be able to reacieve the EPG. Will it be restricted to now and next? (Don't answer as no one really knows) If I can still get the guide in at least 2 days in advance , I'll be happy with that.

If you have a net enabled PVR or media Center PC just subscribe to ICE TV GUIDE - their EPG is much better than the networks own and they enable TiVo style functionality (series recording, keyword searches, iPhone app, Remote record, etc, etc).

Or you could buy a TiVo.

Until their legal issues are settled, I can't agree, and I doubt any "regular" user would. Their guide is still plagued by incorrect listings and a plethora of shows titled "Channel Nine N/A".

Nein haven't got anything worth watching so your point is moot! :lol:

Nein haven't got anything worth watching so your point is moot! :lol:

well they do have seinfeld repeats LOL! and theyve also been showing a lot of movies in the last week and coming week (eg. around the world, collateral damage, rush hour2, tuxedo).

well they do have seinfeld repeats LOL! and theyve also been showing a lot of movies in the last week and coming week (eg. around the world, collateral damage, rush hour2, tuxedo).

and from March, NRL. :D :D :D:)

Edited by digitalj