Freeview Australia

can someone help me out as i think i may be missing something here....Freeview states it will give us 15 Channels (SD,HD etc) well if this is the case then thats means we are going to lose channels....im in Townsville and on my Beyonwiz i have 19 plus audio (and yes i know some of the channels are simulcast) so can anyone tell me why we are not going to have all the channels up and running (eg 7 dig 1,2,3) and i now that the ABC could as i have noticed that ABC 1 on Austar is the same as ABC 1 on FTA but ABC 2 on Austar have different shows on at the same time as ABC 2 FTA....and also can anyone tell me (well regional QLD) why we are not getting Tens new channel ONE...it seems the FTA networks think that Sydney is Australia.

We are not getting fewer channels, there will be more unique channels. 7 dig 1,2,3 are not just simulcast, they're EXACTLY the same signal (just with a different channel number). From next year the networks will all be PERMITTED to provide 3 unique channels... though they haven't announced their plans.

ABC2 on satellite is probably different to ABC2 FTA because the satellite is an hour ahead.

You may well get ONE Sport in Townsville - that'll all depend on what your local channels decide to do on their extra channels. So far we know almost nothing about the actual plans both in cities and regional, but that will change soon enough.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not getting fewer channels, there will be more unique channels. 7 dig 1,2,3 are not just simulcast, they're EXACTLY the same signal (just with a different channel number). From next year the networks will all be PERMITTED to provide 3 unique channels... though they haven't announced their plans.

ABC2 on satellite is probably different to ABC2 FTA because the satellite is an hour ahead.

You may well get ONE Sport in Townsville - that'll all depend on what your local channels decide to do on their extra channels. So far we know almost nothing about the actual plans both in cities and regional, but that will change soon enough.

The educating would be nice, my Ma, yesterday excitedly stated that we will be getting 15 new channels...she tries to keep up..

The educating would be nice, my Ma, yesterday excitedly stated that we will be getting 15 new channels...she tries to keep up..

That's what Freeview says, though we know better.

Then again, even Ten says they'll have 3 channels.. and that 2 of them will be the same programming.

Hardly a separate channel in my book. Like when some 'different' channels on Foxtel were just a different name. Like Nick in the day was a different 'channel' to Nick-at-Night.... even though it was the same number/frequency/guide entry.

Just wondered what the cheapest option is to use Freeview for my set up ?

I have a 68cm analogue CRT and do not want to replace it any time soon

Could you buy an HD set top box, connect it through AVs or the component input and still get these channels ( with SD picture quality obviously ) ?

Could you buy an HD set top box, connect it through AVs or the component input and still get these channels ( with SD picture quality obviously ) ?

Yes. You could do this right now (buy a HD STB and connect it to your tv via composite or component and get all the HD and SD channels), although, if you want the Freeview EPG you should hold off until they release a freeview branded box.

Yes.

There are some cheap stb out now - hd under $100, sd for about $30

The way things are looking the sd setup might be ok. Unlike at the moment where there is some unique content on hd, its looking more and more like the unique content will be spread between sd channels and the hd being covered on by one (or more) of the sd channels.

Maybe wait till early next year and see what 9 and 7 say they are doing.

Otherwise grab a cheap box - sd if you are being very cheap!

With the name of "freeview", broadcasters can do joint marketing and make a common specifications for digital receivers.

What could be a benefit to viewers except EPG?

I think there is no big difference from the current system, is there any?

I don't understand what will get better from the current situation with freeview.

Yes.

There are some cheap stb out now - hd under $100, sd for about $30

The way things are looking the sd setup might be ok. Unlike at the moment where there is some unique content on hd, its looking more and more like the unique content will be spread between sd channels and the hd being covered on by one (or more) of the sd channels.

Maybe wait till early next year and see what 9 and 7 say they are doing.

Otherwise grab a cheap box - sd if you are being very cheap!

Thanks for the feedback Dax & Jakes !

I think I would go an HD box if you say these will send a picture to an analogue CRT

Reason being, I have a DVD recorder now with an SD tuner in it and it does not even pick up the second HD channels that 7 & 10 started transmitting in recent times so with more channels coming on with this freeview thing I reckon a device with an HD tuner is going to be the way to go.

( once again, I realise I wont be viewing HD quality but I am not going to go out and buy a new TV until the current one dies in a few years from now )

( once again, I realise I wont be viewing HD quality but I am not going to go out and buy a new TV until the current one dies in a few years from now )

As long as you are aware!

But they do have different content at the moment, so its not a silly idea to get a HD stb to watch it on an analog set.

You may want to check that the stb can do different methods to get the 16:9 down to 4:3, you may want letterbox for true widescreen stuff, but then swap to centre cut for stuff that is only 4:3

With the name of "freeview", broadcasters can do joint marketing and make a common specifications for digital receivers.

What could be a benefit to viewers except EPG?

I think there is no big difference from the current system, is there any?

I don't understand what will get better from the current situation with freeview.

Absolutely nothing, is the answer to all those questions.

Freeview is just a brand name the channels are using to lie to people it would seem. With or without the freeview name it has been known for a couple of years now that each channel would be allowed a 2nd SD channel come 1st Jan 2009. Freeview doesn't change this in any way.

Edited by dunnas

Freeview is largely branding. A way to frame the "discussion" on FTA broadcasting with a convienient label everyone can understand. In practical terms the only defined benefit of freeview as opposed to what we have now is the EPG as you suggest - and that difference could be a significant one for the industry, even though most people won't have any idea about it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I sent Panasonic Australia a long email about this Freeview thing, mainly asking whether my TV (PX70) will either have the capability for the new guide or could be updated.

Just got off the phone with a very helpful chap at Panasonic who explained that Freeview (as already mentioned in this thread) is just a label for what's currently available - some channels and/or content may change but everything will still be broadcast as standard DVB-T.

I then asked him about the new EPG and he said, as far as Panasonic are aware, we are already using the same guide structure as Freeview will use - maybe it will look different but no mention has been made of any radical change to way to guide is pushed to current DVB-T "clients". The helpful chap also went on to state that, if broadcasters do decide to change the guide, and Panasonic are in a position to do so, they will push out an OTA update for applicable models. I'm paraphrasing slightly but that was the general gist of the discussion.

So...positive...right?

So...positive...right?
Definitely. I remember this forum (including me) got all worked up when the (now current) FTA EPG was being talked about while we just had N&N. Lots of theories on how we would be locked out. In the end the networks surprised us by just releasing the info free and clear.

That said some of the principals involved in the launch of freeview have said that new boxes will need to be bought to get the EPG and I tend to think this makes sense given what little we know. Guess its now just a wait and see.

Thanks for the post though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Just got off the phone with a very helpful chap at Panasonic who explained that Freeview (as already mentioned in this thread) is just a label for what's currently available - some channels and/or content may change but everything will still be broadcast as standard DVB-T.

I then asked him about the new EPG and he said, as far as Panasonic are aware, we are already using the same guide structure as Freeview will use - maybe it will look different but no mention has been made of any radical change to way to guide is pushed to current DVB-T "clients".

It's quite clear that Panasonic has not even been contacted by Free Tv Australia yet. I'm betting none of the manufacturers have.

Next time someone calls, ask them that. Has Free Tv Australia been consulting with them lately?

That said some of the principals involved in the launch of freeview have said that new boxes will need to be bought to get the EPG

As I posted in another thread, David at TV Tonight asked the question and got the answer direct from the horse's mouth - the head of Free TV Australia. The new EPG will require new hardware. Period.

TV Tonight had been chasing some of this information since the announcement of Freeview, which has prompted Freeview to respond.

Q. Will people who currently own a set-top box have to purchase a new updated set-top box to access Freeview? Or will they be able to access it using their current box?

A. Any High Definition set top box will be able to access all of the new digital channels. People who already own one will not need to buy a new one. However, only Freeview-branded set top boxes will be able to receive the Freeview Electronic Program Guide which displays all programming information in one format.

...It's quite clear that Panasonic has not even been contacted by Free Tv Australia yet...

Have to say I agree with you there - the Panny guy was adamant that nothing would change and yet admitted that there were almost no tangible facts being offered by Free TV.

• 2 weeks later...
So that means they will have to be doubly busy with the EPG of Freeview and the standard EPG for each channel. At least, we still have the Now and Next but will they keep the Guide channels?

Sydney doesn't have any guide channels fortunately :P

Sydney doesn't have any guide channels fortunately :P

correct. Nine is the only one left that has a tv guide channel. Other than that Sydney viewers can use the government digital cannel 4 which displays a scrolling NOW and NEXT as well as a scrolling prime time 6pm-12am tv guide guide on the same page.

correct. Nine is the only one left that has a tv guide channel. Other than that Sydney viewers can use the government digital cannel 4 which displays a scrolling NOW and NEXT as well as a scrolling prime time 6pm-12am tv guide guide on the same page.

9 doesn't have one.

Hey, did you hear that Freeview NZ HD requires MPEG4 decoders?

They reckon for that reason there's only one Freeview NZ HD certified decoder and it's $500.

ps

HD is terrestrial only, and most Freeview is via satellite.

Sorry to post late in this thread (GregA posted that on the 3rd). The NZ FreeView system uses two transmission platforms, Sat and Terrestrial. The Sat service is mpeg2 with mheg5 EPG (ie xml based) although EIT EPG is also sent for those with non certifed boxs (which dont have mheg renderers), this satellite service covers the entire nation including the Chatam Islands, all 15 odd channels are 16:9 with mpeg audio. The DTT Terrestial service using 3muxs from 18sites is mpeg4 based with broadcasters allowed to use HD if they want, only 3channels are one 1080i the others 720p, all other channels are SD (also using mpeg4). It also uses mheg5 EPG, there are around 15boxs on the market now, 4 or 5 are certfied as are all the 4-5 manufactures of iDTVs (Sony Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic). The DTT service is only from 18 sites that covers 75% of the population. Boxs start at just under $300, most not much more than that, the first PVR has been introduced at $1100, bit steep for me at this point.

The key to the NZ FreeView system is that all transmission facilities (Sat and DTT) are provided by FreeView via Kordia with broadcasters renting capacity, this makes it much easier for smaller broadcasters to enter the business, along with that capacity FreeView provide EPG and other common SI related services.

Cyril

Edited by cyril

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that the new PlayTV on the PS3 in Australia will support the Freeview EPG, which perhaps is why it has been delayed in its release in australia?

With a 500Gb HDD it would be the ideal set top box for me and saves me having to switch inputs all the time... It would mean that everything ran through the PS3. I hope this is the case...

I'm hoping that the new PlayTV on the PS3 in Australia will support the Freeview EPG, which perhaps is why it has been delayed in its release in australia?

With a 500Gb HDD it would be the ideal set top box for me and saves me having to switch inputs all the time... It would mean that everything ran through the PS3. I hope this is the case...

I'm hoping it will be reasonably priced, it is after all just a dual tuner usb receiver - the one I use with my laptop cost $90, so anymore than $150 for the PlayTV would be too much imo.