Australian Open - Hd In 2009 (not 2008)

http://sevencorporate.com.au/_uploads/File...n-agreement.pdf

Seven has extended its current broadcast free-to-air television agreement for coverage from 2009 until 2014. Seven has also secured exclusive new media rights for 2008-2014 and exclusive subscription television rights for 2010-2014. Seven will launch high-definition television coverage of the Open from 2009 and will continue to produce the global television coverage of the event.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Seven does Tennis in HD without increasing the bitrate you can guarantee that the tennis balls won't be round but square with blurry ghosts hitting those "squares"!

No to mention that in 2009 they have plans for a 3rd channel squeezed into the multiplex so I wouldn't be expecting too much.

perhaps thats why they say 2009 rather than 2008, piggy bank might not be full enough yet

The delay is most likely due to not having a fully functioning OB system for HD. Same reason they can't do the footy in HD whilst Ten can.

The delay is most likely due to not having a fully functioning OB system for HD. Same reason they can't do the footy in HD whilst Ten can.

all the OB stuff is outsourced to Gearhouse(nfi what they have), as many have said before the bitrate remains an issue, they could up that by killing off the epg and reducing the bitrate for SD and getting better encoders to do a better job with the bandwidth they already have($$).

as for the AFL in HD ten use stat muxing(decent encoders) so they can at least make the best use of the available bandwidth

• 2 years later...
Hello all, does anyone have any update on whether Channel 7 is going to broadcast the Australian Open tennis in High Definition in 2010?? Thanks for any information.

Even if they did announce it, I wouldn't get too excited about it. Sevens HD is crap anyway, going by their history....

Oops this thread should be locked......way too old.

Edited by Ralfi

So fox sports don't have the rights to the tennis this year right?

So what stations are going to show the australian open then? C7 C7HD and 7TWO? I think if fox sports don't have the rights then we will not see as many outside matches this year!

I wouldn't be holding out much hope for decent PQ on the tennis if the Brisbane International is anything to go by. Atrocious is the word that comes to mind, along with the Hopman Cup on the ABC.

To me the PQ this year seems even worse than previous years and I wonder if it's due to the increased number of channels.

To me the PQ this year seems even worse than previous years and I wonder if it's due to the increased number of channels.

The equation is simple: same total bandwidth for each group of channels + more channels per group = reduced bandwidth for individual channels. The HD channels are no longer at 1920 x 1080 so even native HD material is looking a lot more shabby than a year ago.

I shudder to think what the Aussie Open will look like if it is broadcast in upconverted SD - so sad that Foxtel can no longer broadcast it, just after they have added more Fox Sports HD channels.

If it isn't in HD I'll be extremely disappointed. Seven seems to become less appealing to me each year. They don't broadcast the V8s in HD, which is excusable I spose, but not showing an Australian Grand Slam in HD is unacceptable. It can't be that hard compared to the scale of Cricket, which Nine has in glorious HD despite the size of the playing field. I don't even visit 7TWO at all compared to my daily trips to GO! land. Their US drama seems to be, in my opinion, becoming stale and they only show a good movie every now and then. Nine is fantastic for movies compared to Seven (GO! seems to have a better movie selection than Nine's main channel) however Seven seems to be better than TEN, whos movie library is just a joke that's not funny anymore :|

I also can't believe Destroyed in Seconds is one of the highest rating programs lately on Seven. Lol.. Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where they're watching a similar show. "The best part was when the buildings fell down!". They're are shows that are sooo much better but are a similar theme, like Seconds from Disaster (Similar title, no?) which focuses on one disaster such as the Hyatt Regency sky bridge collapse in the USA, or the South Korean department store collapse. So much more in depth and interesting..

Seven are clueless. They have the best comedy on TV right now in 30 Rock & air it after 10:30...........mind boggles.

I'm expecting them to stuff up the Open & not even fork out on the minimum 3 HD cameras needed for the 3 main courts....another nail in the FTA HDTV coffin...