What is it with a Nick Cave?

Maybe Cave is one of those artists who should just write for people who can actually sing. IMO many of his performances of the cover album Kicking against the Pricks are pure travesty. Sure, he has his moments, but for me they are few and far between. And in terms of great lyricists, he can't hold a candle to Tom Waits (who can actually sing quite well but pushes his voice to enhance and embody his characters)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

Maybe Cave is one of those artists who should just write for people who can actually sing. IMO many of his performances of the cover album Kicking against the Pricks are pure travesty. Sure, he has his moments, but for me they are few and far between. And in terms of great lyricists, he can't hold a candle to Tom Waits (who can actually sing quite well but pushes his voice to enhance and embody his characters)

LMFAO :D

Who for?   John Farnham or Guy Sebastian?

Cave is a superb singer songwriters IMO, however his albums take multiple listens

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

LMFAO [emoji3]  

Who for?   John Farnham or Guy Sebastian?

Cave is a superb singer songwriters IMO, however his albums take multiple listens

Yes, you're on to something there. Apply some lateral thinking to that thought. Put your disdain aside for a moment and just imagine if Farnesy had chosen some darker material to work with and worked on a more subtle low key delivery...... but alas that is not the current paradigm. The days of relationships between composers and performers of popular song is all but dead, destroyed by the industry. Very sad. 

And no, Cave is not a superb singer by any measure. He's a credible performer, sure, if you dig his shtick, no problems there, but he has no range and doesn't hold pitch well at all. That's the reality Shane, I have heard plenty thanks.

Tom Jones could do justice to Cave, but he comes from the generation that was not too proud to build a career singing the songs of others. Anyone else?

Edit: or rather he had the talent to pull it off

I saw the Birthday Party at the Trade Union Club in the early '80's. They scared the crap out of me.I respected their performance but I wasn't prepared for the devils that I found were inside me. They pushed themselves & the audience to the boundaries of sanity. Didn't go near Nick Cave for decades after that. I haven't seen a performance of the Bad Seeds or own any of their material but I do admire Cave's artistry. Another case of it's your bag or it isn't. The recent doco on Cave was very enlightening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave O))) said:

And no, Cave is not a superb singer by any measure. He's a credible performer, sure, if you dig his shtick, no problems there, but he has no range and doesn't hold pitch well at all. That's the reality Shane, I have heard plenty thanks.

Look at some of the greats: Tom Waits (who does more with less, better than anyone), Bob Dylan ( shitty voice, but perfect for his storytelling songs)

Johnny Cash, Lou Reed, Neil Young, to name a few. I don't care at all that their voice may be not regarded as great, and with Cave I think his baritone expresses with chilling conviction the often dark songs he sings. His ballad work IMO is equal to Waits, of whom I am a huuuuuuge fan.

It's what they do with the voice they're given that's important.

• Like 4

Look at some of the greats: Tom Waits (who does more with less, better than anyone), Bob Dylan ( shitty voice, but perfect for his storytelling songs)

Johnny Cash, Lou Reed, Neil Young, to name a few. I don't care at all that their voice may be not regarded as great, and with Cave I think his baritone expresses with chilling conviction the often dark songs he sings. His ballad work IMO is equal to Waits, of whom I am a huuuuuuge fan.

Totally agree with your closing assertion Chris, just that Cave doesn't do it for me as much as someone like Waits, and I think that has to do with his relative monotony which is a symptom of his weaker voice. Just my personal take at this point in time, however I am open to changing my opinion. Perhaps one day Nick will click, but I ain't holding my breath ;)

Guest deanB

Dig Lazarus Dig is a good 'un but it is the side project self titled Grinderman album that blows me away. Nothing maudlin going on there. Check out the live version of 'No ***** Blues' from the Jools Holland show.

18 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

Totally agree with your closing assertion Chris, just that Cave doesn't do it for me as much as someone like Waits, and I think that has to do with his relative monotony which is a symptom of his weaker voice. Just my personal take at this point in time, however I am open to changing my opinion. Perhaps one day Nick will click, but I ain't holding my breath ;)

G'day Dave. I hear you, and wasn't trying to convert you to Nick Cave. I was just making a few observations. :)

I actually do not like the first few NC & TBS albums, only became a fan when The Good Son was released.

• Like 1

G'day Dave. I hear you, and wasn't trying to convert you to Nick Cave. I was just making a few observations. [emoji4]
I actually do not like the first few NC & TBS albums, only became a fan when The Good Son was released.

You make an interesting point Chris. I have the early Bad Seeds albums which each have a couple of good tunes but overall i find pretty average. Perhaps I should spend some more time with his later stuff. But the thing is I normally prefer instrumental music. It does takes a special vocalist to turn my head, but maybe I need to mature some more before I can appreciate a broader range of singer/songwriters. Time will tell.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

G'day Dave. I hear you, and wasn't trying to convert you to Nick Cave. I was just making a few observations. :)

No problem listening to The Good Son all the way through.  I think it's my favourite NC album.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soundfan said:

Plus 20

According to Dave O, all those guys should sell their songs to Idol and the Voice contestants. :hiccup

• Like 2

I'm a Nick Cave fan and have been since I bought his 'The Best of' from 1998. Some wonderful songs and a couple of howlers,- does anyone like 'Deanna', or 'The Carny'. Anyway, try 'Push The Sky Away' album, very enjoyable and not just 'cos my daughter engineered some of the vocals and pre-production. (Anna Laverty)

Nick is very much an acquired taste and I'd have to be in the right mood to play him.

Nick Cave is certainly an acquired taste, but I am one who hasn't acquired it. To me he always seems very pretentious, and rather boring to listen to, quite frankly. He seems to be permanently depressed. If only he would lift the mood a bit once in a while, maybe show that he has a sense of humour perhaps.

Maybe I need to hear some good cover versions of his songs. Sometimes it takes another person's interpretation of a song to bring out its potential. I've noticed that with one or two Tom Waits songs, for example.

Nick Cave is awesome...goes where normal mortals fear to tread.  Red Right Hand among the best songs ever produced.  Murder Ballads was one of my most treasured albums before it was lost in a fire with about 500 other CD's...have never replaced it and perhaps I should.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2017 at 6:08 PM, emesbee said:

Nick Cave is certainly an acquired taste, but I am one who hasn't acquired it. To me he always seems very pretentious, and rather boring to listen to, quite frankly. He seems to be permanently depressed. If only he would lift the mood a bit once in a while, maybe show that he has a sense of humour perhaps.

Maybe I need to hear some good cover versions of his songs. Sometimes it takes another person's interpretation of a song to bring out its potential. I've noticed that with one or two Tom Waits songs, for example.

On the contrary, those like me who are heavily into Nick's work can see the (dark) humour in his music, lyrics, books etc. But I can understand the appearance his music might give to those dancing on the fringes.

• Like 1