What is it with a Nick Cave?

I'm about to commit blasphemy as a Pommie in Aus! 

I had a hifi demo recently using most of my own music. The dealer suggested playing a track from the Nick Cave LP No More Shall We Part which was all very pleasant (I've not knowingly listened to Nick Cave before). 

Anyway, just released is a Nick Cave 'best of' called Lovely Creatures which I bought on triple LP. I played the first two sides and apart from one track (can't remember which) I was about to slit my wrists! 

What Nick Cave should I listen to if I want something slightly upbeat in tune and not too despondent in lyrics/singing? The LP track at the demo wasn't that downbeat..... was it a one-off? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ex brickie said:

I'm about to commit blasphemy as a Pommie in Aus! 

I had a hifi demo recently using most of my own music. The dealer suggested playing a track from the Nick Cave LP No More Shall We Part which was all very pleasant (I've not knowingly listened to Nick Cave before). 

Anyway, just released is a Nick Cave 'best of' called Lovely Creatures which I bought on triple LP. I played the first two sides and apart from one track (can't remember which) I was about to slit my wrists! 

What Nick Cave should I listen to if I want something slightly upbeat in tune and not too despondent in lyrics/singing? The LP track at the demo wasn't that downbeat..... was it a one-off? 

I thought everybody knew that Nick Cave is Laughin' Lennie Cohen's spiritual offspring. And you made it through two sides without calling Beyond Blue or the Suicide Hotline? Give that man something medicinal. Quickly!

• Like 2

Maybe the Dig Lazarus Dig! or Henry's Dream albums. A bit more diversity on the aforementioned (to my tastes). Nick starred and co penned a light hearted comedy called Ghosts of the Civil Dead (a bit like an Australian version of Porridge with Ronnie Barker) directed by John Hillcoat. Hillcoat later went on to make a father and son road movie called, funnily enough, The Road (2009).

Nick and John would be a hoot at dinner.

• Like 1

I find his covers album pretty good.  He works the songs nicely, the arrangements are strong, and he doesn't go into parody, of self or others; nor is he trying to believe his own publicity.  Really, this album is more about the music than about Nick Cave, and is the better for it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_JoaBDn5iNj9owSz5nVl

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DRC said:

directed by John Hillcoat. Hillcoat later went on to make a father and son road movie called, funnily enough, The Road (2009).

Nick and John would be a hoot at dinner.

And what a hoot The Road was...!

10 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

And what a hoot The Road was...!

I think I am going to revisit The Road tonight on Blu Ray. That or the endless cesspool of reality TV and corporate sport on free to air.

Today if I did read my horoscope (and I don't believe in the affect of millennia old light on my own personal destiny, and if you do I hold sage-like respect your own, ahem, 'personal belief system') it would read something like don't get the #$%& out of bed, weird shite is going to happen. So The Road is perfect Sunday nite lite entertainment.

• Like 1

It's interesting that you post this.  I have occasionally listened to Nick over the years.  From his early days would buy the occasional single, but not his albums.  Have picked up some of his albums from OpShops over the last 10 years.  Despite finding them interesting, with some great tracks in there, I have found him depressing to listen to for extended time (ie, the length of an album).  I also tire of his tendency to sing many stanzas on a single note, it's as boring as when I used to hear the priest sing the liturgy on one note in church when I was a kid.  Not to mention how pretentious Nick can be.  I can't really hold that against him, it's part of his personality, at least from at least when I knew him in art school. 

Coincidentally, last week I got a copy of No More Shall We Part from an OpShop, and have been listening to it in the car (so my impressions are based on sub-optimal acoustics).  I love the production and sound he has created on it.  Some nice songs (I particularly like "Snow").  Plus the usual pretension and singing on one note that dilutes his talent, in my opinion. Now here's the kicker - I have reflected that the album hasn't made me feel depressed, like others I have listened to.  Strange that.  It's making me feel that I should find where I put the Abattoir/Orpheus CD I got from the OpShop and not yet played and give it a go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ex brickie said:

This one:love:D

Murder-Ballads.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I find it [Cave's Murder Ballads] oddly disturbing 

Murder ballads are a common theme in the long history of folk music.  They even made their transition into the top-40, eg.  Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe" (thematically close to a murder song), and Olivia Newton John covering the "Banks of the Ohio". 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
5 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Murder ballads are a common theme in the long history of folk music.  They even made their transition into the top-40, eg.  Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe" (thematically close to a murder song), and Olivia Newton John covering the "Banks of the Ohio". 

I'm aware of the history. 

I find Cave's album quite hard to listen to in its entirety. It disturbs me 

• Like 1

Euchrid Eucrow here. Ah feel that mah fellow SNA brethren are not understandin' the music of mah man Nick. Oh lawd, ah do despair of the weepin' an' wailin' that accompanies such talk, such talk bein' born of the devil, the devil hisself ah say, the devil that ah think is called Ol' Nick. Oh lawd, ah'm gettin' all confused, mah head is in such a state at all this cussin' an' cursin' an' hoopin' an' hollerin'. Ah'm goin' to retreat to mah sanctum now for readin' the good book, an' I suggest ye do the same an' repent of your Nick hatin' ways, or mah word ah know your ass will see the angel, mah lawd oh yes.

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 7

If you're not into the lyrics as much as you are into the music then Nick Cave is probably not for you. Hands down the best lyricist of the last 50 years yes I said it. It's poetry

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest dr_carl

my $0.02 worth: I hate The Birthday Party and that kept me away from Nick Cave for a very long time. My wife introduced me some of the later stuff with the Bad Seeds and I liked it lot more (declaration: I am a chronic depressive) mainly because it was more subtle and not such a barrage of noise and his lyrics are a stand out. What irks me is how self obsessed he can be but in small doses he can be amazing.

If you are not willing to trawl around in the murky depths of the soul, then keep your doses small.

I think he's dreadful when trying to be any kind of rocker but when he crafts a good phrase it can resonate for a long long time.

BTW there are a lot of even more depressive singers out there e.g. The Handsome Family which I cannot bear for more than 10 sec.

As for being a great poet I'll stick to Eliot, James Joyce and Sam Beckett - but that's just me. 

Nick's Best = "The Boatmans Call" (beautiful and often tender) & "Push the Sky Away" (beautiful music to die by)....you have been warned

Nick's Worst = all of the Birthday Party and when I heard John Lee Hooker doing "Grinderman" I realised NC should stay right away from that kind of material as he has no clue when it comes to the African American experience. Also he should be forbidden from leaving the piano - his gyrations are even more ludicrous than Peter Garret in the early 1980's.