Luxman D-06 Thoughts

I have not got the player. Just bought it and should have it in about a week so its all new to me.

Like other cables and interconnects, there's plenty of marketing around better USB cables! Easy to spend $100's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok then Rob. My top four would be Siltech, Wire World, Audio Quest & Curious Cables. There are many more that are excellent, that would be where your personal preference would prevail. The DA-06 has a rich mid range/warm sound so depending on the rest of your gear, the wrong/unsuited cable will sound dark with less detail. Generally speaking a silver cable will deliver more micro detail. Even the naysayers can't argue this as silver is the best material for transmitting sound.

Hi,

Sounds like you have saved me a lot of trouble and consternation :) Thanks.

Because of the reputedly rich mid range I am wondering whether I should in fact send the signal to SS amp as well to balance things out a bit. The whole system is what counts. e.g. I have a DAC 1 which is the opposite end of the continuum from the Luxman going into a tube amp and the results are great. I am thinking of kind of reversing this.

Edited by Rob Castiglione

Rob, despite anecdotal comments, I would not describe the midrange of the DA-06 as "rich". Maybe its not sterile, but that's a good thing. These things (differences between reasonably high end stuff) are always far more subtle than what the descriptions imply.

Btw, I have a Kimber Cable USB from my Mac Mini to the DA-250, works for me, although I haven't done a lot of "A-B-ing"

Edited by mjs
more info

11 minutes ago, mjs said:

Rob, despite anecdotal comments, I would not describe the midrange of the DA-06 as "rich". Maybe its not sterile, but that's a good thing. These things (differences between reasonably high end stuff) are always far more subtle than what the descriptions imply.

Btw, I have a Kimber Cable USB from my Mac Mini to the DA-250, works for me, although I haven't done a lot of "A-B-ing"

Ha! You're a funny little thing aren't you. Just out of curiosity, could you tell me how many dacs you have lived with? The DA-06 I had in my system was there for nearly 2 years under many iterations of changing components. I never comment about thin air & vagaries that I want them to be. If I rubbed your man bun up the wrong way I apologise, but then again, this is just an anecdotal comment, flippant at best...;)

• Like 1

Thanks mjs,

I get it and I will glad if it is subtle. Some of the reviews were pretty over the top - it had me imagining several of the reviewers having to be taken out of their listening room on a stretcher they were so overcome by the mid range magic etc!

Rob

2 hours ago, bzr said:

Ha! You're a funny little thing aren't you. Just out of curiosity, could you tell me how many dacs you have lived with? The DA-06 I had in my system was there for nearly 2 years under many iterations of changing components. I never comment about thin air & vagaries that I want them to be. If I rubbed your man bun up the wrong way I apologise, but then again, this is just an anecdotal comment, flippant at best...;)

@bzr Apologies if I seem to have triggered a thin-skinned response, that wasn't my intention. Tbh, my response was to Rob's words, and to reviews in general. I hadn't picked up that they may have come from you. Everyone's opinions are relevant, sarcasm aside, I was just expressing mine. A lot is asserted in personal reviews of gear, from which you would expect that the differences are day and night. The reality imo, is somewhat different, differences are more subtle, but YMMV. You don't know me and I don't know you, I respect your comments that you have had a DA-06 for two years. I have also had a couple of DACs for a couple of years, mainly pro audio stuff, which I would probably describe as more towards the clinical end of things. The recent Luxman kit has been good in my system.

• Like 1

yes, but I don't think you are savvy as to what "anecdotal comments" really means. You basically called bullshit on everybody that called the dac as in having a warm presentation. Warm bass is sloppy molasses, horrible fuzzy, useless. Warm treble......???1??? The response was a reaction.

Cables, the room treatments. the shape of the room, the preamp, the amps, the rack, iisolation, power, etc, all have an impact on the sound, but, the general consensus is, the same as it ever was.

9 hours ago, mjs said:

@bzr Apologies if I seem to have triggered a thin-skinned response, that wasn't my intention. Tbh, my response was to Rob's words, and to reviews in general. I hadn't picked up that they may have come from you. Everyone's opinions are relevant, sarcasm aside, I was just expressing mine. A lot is asserted in personal reviews of gear, from which you would expect that the differences are day and night. The reality imo, is somewhat different, differences are more subtle, but YMMV. You don't know me and I don't know you, I respect your comments that you have had a DA-06 for two years. I have also had a couple of DACs for a couple of years, mainly pro audio stuff, which I would probably describe as more towards the clinical end of things. The recent Luxman kit has been good in my system.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I received the Luxman DAC 06. It is on now playing a delicious CD Via Crucis (Christine Pluhar).

It is indeed a superior beast. The designers put some effort into this for sure.  Excellent delicately nuanced tonality. Best separation of instruments and soundstage of any DAC i have had. Kingpin gives a very accurate picture of the sound - everything he says is true. I can't add to what he says.

I don't think I have ever heard anything quite like it before. My wife loves it. My DAC search is over. With the Benchmark and the Luxman I am done.

Now waiting for my Antony Holton solid state power amp :)

• Like 5