Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

@Owen Y I received the motor of the rotisserie I mounted it on the kit and perfect! The only problem is that the direction of rotation is the opposite to the indication that you put on the iron plate, does it create problems? I can't mount it any other way!

@georgesgiralt But it is not possible to doll the direction of rotation of the motor, even turning it off and back on, maybe it should be at 12V and reversing the power cables, maybe you would change the direction of rotation, maybe, but it's not my case.
My question was whether the sense of rotation (I have the counter-clockwise direction at this moment) is problematic for optimal disk cleaning?
Thank you

18 minutes ago, Citroen said:

Hai preso questo motore  https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gasmate-240v-rotisserie-motor/   @maxpina  ?

Se lo spegni, aspetta un po ', quindi riaccenderlo dovrebbe cambiare direzione.

Il problema con la direzione antioraria è che il mandrino tende ad allontanarsi dall'albero motore.

I took this, hopefully https://www.ebay.it/itm/Electric-BBQ-Roast-Rotisserie-Grill-Motor-Rotator-Barbecue-Tool-220V-Black/153289597732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 now I'll try to do what you tell me.

Hello

I've trouble finding Hepastat 256 in Europe. It seems it contains some chemical which is banned here. (or the maker do not care certifying it's product in Europe..)

So I was told to use one of these instead : Selgiene  or Cetrimide  (the latter being invented by ICI could well be availlable in Europe ?  )

They are quat devised to clean lab material but the Cetrimide  is said to be inefficient in presence of blood or microbial products ...

I still have to find a supplier willing to sell a liter to an individual and not asking one of my kidneys for packing and postage...

I have been using my machine regularly, with triton-x, isopropyl alcohol and water (just tap water, which has worked well to date). The essential add on after a quick spin rinse in a tub of water is the drying rack. 

Justin

6DE82B07-86BD-46F5-8407-54FF3A352C33.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

I have been using my machine regularly, with triton-x, isopropyl alcohol and water (just tap water, which has worked well to date). The essential add on after a quick spin rinse in a tub of water is the drying rack. 

Justin

Very cool, Justin.  :thumb:

But whilst I can appreciate that 'just tap water' has worked well so far ... perhaps you need to do an experiment and use distilled water for one cleaning - and rinse - cycle?  Just to see if the LPs cleaned this way have a lower noise level!  :)

Andy

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very cool, Justin.  :thumb:

But whilst I can appreciate that 'just tap water' has worked well so far ... perhaps you need to do an experiment and use distilled water for one cleaning - and rinse - cycle?  Just to see if the LPs cleaned this way have a lower noise level!  :)

Andy

I really mean to do that, but have not got around to getting distilled water to do that to date, and figure that any water is better than the vegemite smears and other detritus you sometimes come across on old records! Any suggestions for good sources for bulk distilled water ?

cheers and thanks

Justin

Just now, Juzbear said:

Any suggestions for good sources for bulk distilled water ?

cheers and thanks

Justin

I buy 5l containers of distilled water from Autobarn.  Maybe $13 a pop?

Andy

13 hours ago, maxpina said:

@Juzbear Could you suggest which part mixture you use in the various ingredients for cleaning in the ultrasonic bath?
Thank you

I would defer to greater authorities, and aim to use distilled water as an ideal. Nonetheless, my current mix is 10ml of triton X100, 150ml isopropyl alcohol, made up with water to the appropriate level. (My ultrasound machine is the standard size for this thread, fitting three LPs.)

I usually heat the water to 40 degrees. I am sure many would disagree, though having looked at cleaning threads and also threads on flattening warped records, 40 degrees seems well within the zone where you can leave a warped record in a flattener for hours and it will not flatten. Hence I figure it is unlikely to damage the record, and to date I have not seen any issues.

Justin

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I use 50ml of 10% triton (so therefore 5ml triton raw)
250mL of Isopropyl (results in an overall 5% concentration)
4.7L Reverse Osmosis deionised water

Edited by benny
  • Like 1

I change the subject, that is we admit to having done the cleaning and that I can't perceive the difference, there is some system with some tests with an audio editing program (Audacity?) To measure the success of the ultrasonic cleaning process, of course we should surely already hearing by ear, do any of you have any experience? Did you do any tests before and after cleaning, objective tests with measurements?
Thank you

How can u quantify a subjective test of “does it sound better” also it varies record to record, how dirty it was etc. but I do typically notice an improvement in quiet passages, less crackles and better dynamics 

I don’t know that I have perceived an improvement in sound in an otherwise pristine record (ok, I haven’t), but for purchasers of second hand records and for new records which have pops and crackles, which are often particulate matter (ie. bit of stuff), it clearly does what it says on the tin and cleans the record. I don’t know that there is any great consensus of opinion that ultrasound cleaning improves the sound in anyway other than removing stuff that is getting in between the wax and the needle.

• Like 1

It's come to our attention that the records can contact the ends of the SS tank if the end clearance is too small & if the SS kit frame is not a TIGHT immovable fit to the tanks sides.

If the SS kit frame moves with vibration, the records can contact the end of the tank & stop rotating. 

In such incidences, the rotating motor can drive the spindle out of the motor.

So, we recommend :

1) Checking that you have tight-fitting top frames - if not, gently bend the flanges inward (eg. on the floor, with a block of wood). to get a tighter fit.

2) For good measure, lift both the motor plate & the opposite bearing plate, upward (as shown below) so that the records sit a little higher - raise fluid level a few mm if you feel necessary.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

IMG_3882a.jpg

Edited by Owen Y

Hi @maxpina - excellent video, thanks!

The filtration stage is important I thnk.

I have an aquarium-type filter-pump system,  but I have not been using it constantly or in the same way as you do - I like your system of connecting to the bottom outlet of the tank. Is the fluid circulating OUT from the bottom & returning IN to the top, of the tank?

And what is the function of the addition rectangular box between the tank outlet & the filter pump?

Thanks for the inspiration!

PS. May we post a link to your video on my DarkLantern blog page and/or on our local DarkLantern NZ forum?

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Ive done the same as Max, And i think i can chime in.

He's put a circulation pump in a jiffy box, the canister behind the US tank has no pump, just takes a water filter cartridge like what you get from a water store.

Ive done something similar, using a cheap pump, and a 0.5 micron sediment filter. The Results are excellent :)

Ben

• Like 1