ADC cartridges?

I've had an XLM Mk iii at some point along the way. It was nice. Comparable in sound to Shures perhaps? Don't go out of your way, but if it's available to you and it's cheap - why wouldn't ya? Have fun.

Probably not any better than what I've already got, from what my research is telling me. It's cheap atm but 6 days to go......we'll see. Thanks HFh. :thumb:

I've had an XLM Mk iii at some point along the way. It was nice. Comparable in sound to Shures perhaps? Don't go out of your way, but if it's available to you and it's cheap - why wouldn't ya? Have fun.

Not too fussed about the ADC 'Phase' Series lll, but have a friend who is selling an ADC XLM (Mkll), which VE decribes as follows: "There are probably only three or four phono cartridges that legitimately rank in the pantheon of all time super cartridges. Of these, the ADC XLM must be included, as many people consider it something of a reference standard." Another owner stated it was similar in sound to his Grace F9E....high praise indeed. Do you still have your Mk lll, HFh?

It's certainly an ADC, but not an XLM. Appears to be a Q32!! :D:P  Is it yours spin33? If so, any good?

It is in fact mine. I remember the last time I hooked it up to play it sounded like crap.  :)  Might have to try it again for fun.

The TT (Technics SL-23) was the first I ever purchased and that was in 1974.

The Technics came with "Technics" cart (which is hidden somewhere) and in an effort to improve the sound I got that ADC.

It looks a bit crispy now and is the only piece left from my original system.

Still use it, but not for playing records, use it after washing records, when record is dry I spin them on the Technics to wipe with carbon brush before re-sleeving.

Think I'd keep that thing well clear of records looking at the state of the cantilever! Signs of corrosion on a cart are never good... ;)

No, don't have it anymore my man. Spontaneously dropped a channel and died sadly. I tend to think the write up you've found may be more than a little rose tinted tbh. I've had an F9 too. Far superior. But for my money in the ranks of vintage, contentious as it may be, I'd go a V15 type iii... Or look out for a Grace. Hell, I sold mine for $45 as an add-on with a table I'd restored. They're out there...

But this is all subjective. Vintage Stantons are also highly rated - but I just gave one away. Didn't do it for me. Didn't do it for the recipient either. Spend a little money and try a few different flavours - its all good fun and in the process, you'll get cart set-up down to a fine art! ;)

. But for my money in the ranks of vintage, contentious as it may be, I'd go a V15 type iii... Or look out for a Grace. Hell, I sold mine for $45 as an add-on with a table I'd restored. They're out there...

Funny you should say that. The wonderful Grace F9E happens to be at the top of my wish list (you sold yours for $45?!! Bargain!), and the V15/lll is second on that list :P . Have been after both of these for awhile now. ;) I might still get the ADC, as the price is feasible.

Edited by stevoz

Absolutely. Buy it if it's feasible/reasonable. Ignore eBay pricing - it's nonsense and it's for suckers. It'll come down to who you know. Post a WTB here and see what pops? I sold the Grace for the same I paid for it. I picked up my NOS V15 Type iii for $115.00... You could pay $600 for the same on eBay. Madness. Have fun.

Think I'd keep that thing well clear of records looking at the state of the cantilever! Signs of corrosion on a cart are never good... ;)

Went digging in my old stuff and found a minty replacement stylus, never been used!

Forgot I even had it.

post-154655-0-73913000-1469335006_thumb.

post-154655-0-68640200-1469335009_thumb.

Not too fussed about the ADC 'Phase' Series lll, but have a friend who is selling an ADC XLM (Mkll), which VE decribes as follows: "There are probably only three or four phono cartridges that legitimately rank in the pantheon of all time super cartridges. Of these, the ADC XLM must be included, as many people consider it something of a reference standard." Another owner stated it was similar in sound to his Grace F9E....high praise indeed. Do you still have your Mk lll, HFh?

I have mine. certainly not reference standard last time I played it - but that was a while back. Maybe i did not put enough hours on it then.    I have read the mkII is better sounding than the mkIII.

I might set mine up in the next few weeks as my phono and room have changed since last time I listened.

28402665702_80fd1f1440_b.jpg

Edited by Metamatic
  • Like 2

Use carefully--the XLM's had ridiculous compliance figures--bottoming on over weighted tracking and warped LPs can cause problems

Been there --always needed spare Stylii for that "Minties Moment" :P

Nice sounding  Cart though

Willco

I only have the silver body one with a broken generic stylus. What was the difference with the gold body carts?

Have a couple of there ultra light head shells (ADC), which come in handy.

I got the ADC XLM MKll for $105 from my 'friend', (it was actually ebay :P, I just didn't want anyone else from here bidding for it, so I said from a 'friend' in my earlier post. Am I a tad paranoic? Apologies for that ;)). It's on a Pioneer JP504 headshell. Should arrive in a few days. :thumb:

Edited by stevoz

I got the ADC XLM MKll for $105 from my 'friend', (it was actually ebay :P, I just didn't want anyone else from here bidding for it, so I said from a 'friend' in my earlier post. Am I a tad paranoic? Apologies for that ;)). It's on a Pioneer JP504 headshell. Should arrive in a few days. :thumb:

Nah, Ive missed bargains that way

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The XLM Mkll arrived today and is in action as I type. Yes '90125' is playing and it sounds quite good :). Tracking it atm at 1.2g, haven't reset overhang yet(came fitted on a Pioneer H/S), that's approx 2mm too long so needs tweaking, but so far, this is a nice cart, not quite as 'meaty' as the DL103, or quite as refined at this stage as the F8C (Grace) or the 103, but nice sounding and has potential. First impressions: punchy bass but slightly recessed, forward mid's, bright-ish but nice high's. Further tweaks with tracking force (it can track as low as 0.6g! I'm thinking around 1.0g should do it), overhang reset, and a few other 'go to' LP's will reveal more! ;)

• Like 1

I'm afraid I have no idea of the answer to the first question, but re: your second question, it's on the stock CEC arm, nothing special I guess. I am aware that this cart is supposedly suited best to low mass arms. I've seen a pic of one mounted on an Infinity Black Widow......a 3g tonearm! Actually, I'll provide the link, it's an interesting article: http://www.theanalogdept.com/bw_adc.htm , but it seems to be fine on this one. I'm running at 1.0g VTF at the moment. Tracking nicely, sounding very nice. :)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Down to 0.8g VTF tonight, less prominant mid's bringing bass more forward, highs possibly too bright :unsure:. More listening required! :P  I was reading the manual I downloaded from VE, it says, and I quote, "Tracking force as low as 0.4g (or as high as 1.0g) may be used, depending on the nature and location of the associated equipment."  0.4g, now that would be interesting! Or maybe not.......0.8g is sounding pretty nice, certainly better than 1.2g (obviously, I see that now!), but maybe not better than 1.0g. Tomorrow I'll test 0.6g :D

Edited by stevoz

Tested the XLM ll at 0.6g VTF last night and I'm confused. In some ways it had improved but it wasn't 'moving' me emotionally. I had put on Simple Minds power LP 'Once Upon a Time' and at first thought "this sounds great", but after a little while, I was thinking "not so great". Very good, but not great. So far 0.8g and 1.0g have been the best, but I'd prefer to keep it to a lower weight range due to the ADC's suspect suspension and it's preference for low mass arms (which mine isn't....probably medium mass). I shall tweak further..... ;)

Still listening to the XLM ll at 0.6g and been playing quite a few LP's over the past couple of days. Though it maybe just a case of me 'getting used' to the sound, it is sounding really quite nice. When I first listened to this cart, I put on 'Welcome to the Pleasure Dome'- Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which had just arrived and that I wasn't wholly familiar with (except for the singles.....who isn't!! :P), with VTF set at 1.2g as a starting point, and I wasn't greatly impressed with it, but tonight that same LP is sounding quite spectacular. The bass is impressively deep and tight, mid's not so prominent, and the highs, well, there is no shortage, it's still quite bright, but that's fine because it's just so accurate! Separation is better. Really impressed! Starting to suspect that the stylus may have been actually quite new (it looked like an impressive gem when I checked it at 60x) and it's now bedding in.....just a theory, but I am really enjoying this cart. :thumb: PS: Must admit though, I'm REALLY looking forward to listening to WTTPD with the DL103 and the F8C! :)  Such a gutsy, powerful album!