DAC Preamp wish list

I wasn't planing to  but I can certainly add it if  everyone thinks it would be worth while.

IMO it is usually on amps/receiver that have remote power on but this won't.

Although I don't think I will be in the Market for this product I thought I would mention this.

I don't think a pre-amp needs 12v trigger in however 12v trigger out with remote power on/off would be IMO hugely useful.

In my purchasing decisions I have to factor in WAF and F(family)AF.

Ie:  The ability to have everything controlled from one button press on a universal remote.

This either needs to be remote power on or trigger power on.

So in my setup if my wife wants to watch TV/Movies/Listen to the radio for example, she needs to pick up the universal remote and hit the appropriate button.

Which will turn on the tv, receiver, pre amp, switch to HT bypass, and hopefully the pre amp will turn on the power amp via 12v out.

Yes, the receiver can use its 12v out to power up the amp however for 2 channel I will need to power on the power amp manually or have the receiver turn on and Idle away.

Without such she would simply throw it in the too hard basket and go watch TV in the bedroom.

Unfortunately for most of us our spouses do not care for the added complication our hobby brings to their lives so anything to simplify it is essential to it's acceptance.

Of course for dedicated listening rooms for which our spouses never enter this doesn't matter.

• Like 4

A lack of trigger and remote power would be deal breakers. My current pre amp only has remote control for volume but still has trigger out to the power amp and this is one of the reasons I'm considering a new pre. I'd never buy a pre again without remote power on/off and a trigger for all the reasons today mentions. My CDP/Dac doesn't have remote power on either. These are the most annoying aspects of my 2 ch setup, especially for my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great to see comments from members that promotes use by the rest of the family.

I have exact same problem.

It is these little things that can be so useful in making one product sell better than something else.

Hi Clay,

Don't mean to be annoying but just wondering if there's any update on how things are coming along.

Maybe where you're at build wise and any other snippets you could reveal.

Happy to wait but just interested.

Hi Paul,

the modular design ended up being three separate circuit boards so there was quite a bit of work there.

The main board is finished & just a little left on the PSU & digital boards so I should get those finished off in the next couple of days.

About eight days to receive the boards so all going well I should have the first one up & running in say two weeks.

I'm very excited about this & have a good feeling it will be a very popular model due the flexibility with all the different options available.

There will be plenty of scope for upgrades down the track too due to separate digital & PSU boards.

Once the boards are ordered I will get started on the options list & price structure.

Pretty busy this week too with PSU & Klein II DAC orders.

• Like 5

Hi Clay, thanks for the update.

Sounds like you could use a few more hours in the day at the moment.

That's what happens when your gear is popular.

I'll be waiting patiently (not) for its release.

• Like 2

Adam,

Better let me get one built first, however from the listening test I've done on the preamp section test board I would be very surprised If you are not most impressed. BAM who is local has a seriously good setup & is keen for me to test it in his system as soon as I have one up & running. He has an excellent DAC & preamp etc so it should be great for a comparison. I will report on the findings hopefully late next week.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2

Hi Matt,

I'm expecting the boards to arrive late next week & then say another week for fine tuning, firmware tweeking etc.

Pricing; roughly arround 2k to 2.5k depending on what options are selected. I just need to catch up on some PSU, DAC orders & then I will work out an accurate breakdown.

• 2 weeks later...

The boards arrived late yesterday so I have made a start. This is a serious build with three PCB's & the main one being about double the size of a Klein DAC. For all the signal switching I'm using a nice Japanese Omron relay - a sealed unit with gold plated contacts.

Also a few other tasty components I will tell you about later.

• Like 7

Well finally after a super busy week filling DAC & PSU orders I managed to get the prototype up & running.

All good which is a relief as there was a lot of new PCB cad work & one mistake can stop everything.

I will take it home for the weekend & see how she sounds after an overnight run in.

post-112957-0-39523000-1469250126_thumb.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 13

OK it now has a few hours run in time & I thought mid morning while I'm nice & fresh would be a good a time for a quick listen with a bit of volume.

Now I'm totally biased as it's my product so take this with a grain of salt.

OMG! this thing is a major step up from a Klein DAC & way better than my beloved Konvertor valve output DAC.

The sound stage is totally amazing, it just goes way beyond the speakers with incredible height. Bass is massive & a bit overblown but that is typical signature of un run-in Silmic II caps. They need at least two hundred hours to sound right.

OK enough of my ranting, next move is to get it in a proper case & over to some independent listeners for some unbiased feedback.

It will take a little while as I have another busy week with orders & a BAS to do.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

OK it now has a few hours run in time & I thought mid morning while I'm nice & fresh would be a good a time for a quick listen with a bit of volume.

Now I'm totally biased as it's my product so take this with a grain of salt.

OMG! this thing is a major step up from a Klein DAC & way better than my beloved Konvertor valve output DAC.

The sound stage is totally amazing, it just goes way beyond the speakers with incredible height. Bass is massive & a bit overblown but that is typical signature of un run-in Silmic II caps. They need at least two hundred hours to sound right.

OK enough of my ranting, next move is to get it in a proper case & over to some independent listeners for some unbiased feedback.

It will take a little while as I have another busy week with orders & a BAS to do.

I'm here waiting to to give you unbiased feedback :)